lunch Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lunch

+11
MaxEntropy_Man
Propagandhi711
Jebediah Mburuburu
Bittu
goodcitizn
nevada
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Hellsangel
indophile
Sandee2020
Impedimenta
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

lunch Empty lunch

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:52 pm

margarita, not frozen and some food on the side.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

lunch Empty Re: lunch

Post by Sandee2020 Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:56 pm

rava idli and green tea.

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 pm

and how did you make the rava idli batter? with MTR's help?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Gonna be some box of lean cuijeene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:13 pm

daal bhaat. basmati rice with bengali/bihari style toor dal (with awesome cumin tadka). the best lunch for ever. i am down to gruel and  i love it. 

lunch Dal-bh10

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:18 pm

huz, *drool*. did you ever try the corriander rice?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Impedimenta wrote:huz, *drool*. did you ever try the corriander rice?

txs. :-) will try it tomorrow or day after and post pics. missus been busy (as has actually ganpath and whole family).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Lunch: three dry rotis with beetroot curry/fry and mint chutney (made with fresh mint off the garden) along with a small carton of coconut water. Had a little curd rice at the end. 

BF: ragi malt and a glass of mango and peach milk shake.

Did an hr of yoga in the morn. will be losing some more cals in the evening at the kickbox cardio class.

Target: losing them extra 10 lbs by mid august.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:daal bhaat. basmati rice with bengali/bihari style toor dal (with awesome cumin tadka). the best lunch for ever. i am down to gruel and  i love it. 

*drooling along with impy!* How does one make it? recipe/method needed pls. Seems pretty easy. TIA.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Anyone here tried the new low glycemic basmati rice?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:54 pm

indophile wrote:Anyone here tried the new low glycemic basmati rice?

I heard about it. i believe it is good. only thing is that you got to soak the rice for a long time before making.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:12 pm

what? give me link please. i stick to basmati because it is medium GI per canadian govt. but tell me about this low GI basmati.

btw i tried mahsuri rice (available locally) after reading the article appended below and my blood sugar shot up. and i had tried the parboiled variety! the fact it was mahsuri was attested by my "servant" who eats it eWvvWeRRrryDddaAyY. i went back to basmati and i got a 98 reading in 2 days.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-07-11/science/32632201_1_brown-rice-rice-varieties-rice-consumption

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
what? give me link please. i stick to basmati because it is medium GI per canadian govt. but tell me about this low GI basmati.

btw i tried mahsuri rice (available locally) after reading the article appended below and my blood sugar shot up. and i had tried the parboiled variety! the fact it was mahsuri was attested by my "servant" who eats it eWvvWeRRrryDddaAyY. i went back to basmati and i got a 98 reading in 2 days.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-07-11/science/32632201_1_brown-rice-rice-varieties-rice-consumption

Why are you eating rice? Are you southindian?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Why are you eating rice? Are you southindian?
LMAO! i need rice once a day or i will die.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

See if you can get this in india

http://www.amazon.com/Laxmi-Basmati-Lower-Glycemic-Diabetics/dp/B0077S75NI

btw, it's sona masoori, not mahsuri Smile

Back to top Go down

lunch Empty Rava idli

Post by Sandee2020 Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Impedimenta wrote:and how did you make the rava idli batter? with MTR's help?
I used my mother's recipe. Heat a tbls of ghee, then add black mustard seeds, jeera, chopped green chillies, few whole black peppers, bit of chopped ginger, 3or 4 curry leaves chopped,a tsp of chana dal and a tbls of raw cashews. roast till dal is brown. Add 3/4 cup of rava an stir till rava is coated with the ghee. Salt to taste. Cool then add buttermilk or yogurt to make the batter. If you use yogurt add some water. Then steam idlis.Smile

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 pm

nenu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

btw, it's sona masoori, not mahsuri Smile
Shocked no wonder! will try laxmi. thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:[

btw, it's sona masoori, not mahsuri Smile[/quote]
:shock:no wonder! will try laxmi. thanks! [/quote]

There is not much of a diff in GI 45 and 60. The culprit is the quantum of rice. eating fat 3 course meals daily will be bad no matter what type is consumed. Besides the major culprit is the drastic reduction of "physical effort" put in by everyone on a daily basis, with youngsters the main culprit. no more bicycling 3 to 5 miles, no more walking and hanging onto the footboard in town buses, even markets, standing in ration, etc...Combine this with ready made foods, intermittent junk foods

That is the major culprit. One should stick to GI of less than 50 and preferably as much as possible between 25 to 35. Most dals, nuts, and lentils fall in the < 25 range.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
There is not much of a diff in GI 45 and 60. The culprit is the quantum of rice. eating fat 3 course meals daily will be bad no matter what type is consumed.  Besides the major culprit is the drastic reduction of "physical effort" put in by everyone on a daily basis, with youngsters the main culprit. no more bicycling 3 to 5 miles, no more walking and hanging onto the footboard in town buses, even markets, standing in ration, etc...Combine this with ready made foods, intermittent junk foods

That is the major culprit.  One should stick to GI of less than 50 and preferably as much as possible between 25 to 35. Most dals, nuts, and lentils fall in the < 25 range.
i agree with you. i stick to rice once a day with moderate physical activity. when i was eating mahsuri, i was eating it twice a day, mistakenly thinking it to be of low GI.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:53 am

nenu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:daal bhaat. basmati rice with bengali/bihari style toor dal (with awesome cumin tadka). the best lunch for ever. i am down to gruel and  i love it. 

*drooling along with impy!* How does one make it? recipe/method needed pls. Seems pretty easy. TIA.
kinns, i will post recipe later today. yes, it is very simple and easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:huz, *drool*. did you ever try the corriander rice?

txs. :-) will try it tomorrow or day after and post pics. missus been busy (as has actually ganpath and whole family).
wogay. just had a long chat with missus (translator) and ganpath. we are moving to the dark side for lunch tomorrow to cook (and eat, of course!) this dish. impy, i am terribly disappointed you never post pics of dishes you are cooking/having-cooked/eating/. *cry*

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:09 pm

no lunch today because i am feeling way too blue to eat anything.

huz - will post pics when i get a chance. i am too lazy.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Impedimenta wrote:no lunch today because i am feeling way too blue to eat anything.
oops. get well soon! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 pm

stew and homemade bread. life is good indeed.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Spinach daal, beerakai, pachi pulusu and rice. The perks of WFH back to back!

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Dhokla. I made khaman dhokla, from scratch, for the first time. Inspiration is Vidya's dhokla pic she posted y'day. I wanted to take a pic and post it here. But....I made it with kala chana besan, not the regular besan. So it looks like plum cake, dark brown, not yellow like the regular besan dhokla. So giving up the idea of posting a pic. It tastes good though.

recipe: http://chefinyou.com/2009/07/khaman-dhokla-recipe/

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:05 pm

nenu wrote:Dhokla. I made khaman dhokla, from scratch, for the first time. Inspiration is Vidya's dhokla pic she posted y'day. I wanted to take a pic and post it here. But....I made it with kala chana besan, not the regular besan. So it looks like plum cake, dark brown, not yellow like the regular besan dhokla. So giving up the idea of posting a pic. It tastes good though.

Does dhokla taste like Uppuma (Tamil) and Uppittu (Kannada)?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:07 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
nenu wrote:Dhokla. I made khaman dhokla, from scratch, for the first time. Inspiration is Vidya's dhokla pic she posted y'day. I wanted to take a pic and post it here. But....I made it with kala chana besan, not the regular besan. So it looks like plum cake, dark brown, not yellow like the regular besan dhokla. So giving up the idea of posting a pic. It tastes good though.

Nope. It is steamed chick pea flour mainly.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:08 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

No, not exactly. It probably comes in the idli catagory. khaman dhokla is made with besan, (chick pea/bengal gram powder) and the white one is made with rice flour, i think. i nvr made the white one. It's steamed like idlis.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Any salad iseas? Looking for something creative, vegetarian, and filling.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:20 pm

indophile wrote:Any salad iseas? Looking for something creative, vegetarian, and filling.

My breakfast was sprouted moong dal salad today. Quite filling.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:26 pm

nenu wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

No, not exactly. It probably comes in the idli catagory. khaman dhokla is made with besan, (chick pea/bengal gram powder) and the white one is made with rice flour, i think. i nvr made the white one. It's steamed like idlis.
Interesting. Thanks.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:16 pm

nevada wrote:Spinach daal, beerakai, pachi pulusu and rice. The perks of WFH back to back!

oh man, you married good!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:20 pm

indophile wrote:Any salad iseas? Looking for something creative, vegetarian, and filling.

curious, there are hearty salads and there are loser salads, i mean the ones that taste eww because they are diet salads without salt, pepper and dressing. which one?

i make a side salad which has

spring greens
walnuts
cranberries
feta cheese
crutons
green crispy apple slices
radish
small plum tomatoes
cucumbers

EVOO + fresh ground black pepper for dressing.

please do not add any "dal" to a salad or add it but please do not call it "salad". thanks

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:20 pm

wait, what is pachi pulusu?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Grrr impy. It IS called a "salad".

Here : https://www.google.com/search?q=moong+dal+sprouts+salad&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uijTUbmECYes9ATRy4DQBQ&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1745&bih=868

Pachi pulusu=raw rasam. The tamarind juice is not boiled. It tastes sweet coz we add jaggery. Tastes yummy. I usually make it with 'Pulagam'----rice and spilt moong dal (with husk).

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:33 pm

paneer kathi roll. OMG, yummy.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:40 pm

wild brown rice with fruit and cranberries
blackened tilapia
mushroom with spinach
fruit compote

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Quinoa Tabbouleh. OMG, this is really amazing. a side of fresh fruits.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:27 pm

PBJ sandwich for lunch. It was the same for dinner last night too. Actually, last night had made two breads with PB on it. Ate one, and saw some flying insect sitting on another, so threw the other one. House been infested with those while I was gone, AC is not working too. Feels like I returned from exotic rainy cool place with lots of food to sweltering insectful foodless hell, *ugh*.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:39 pm

kadhi-chawal, tempered with my world famous scotch bonnet pepper sauce. truly delicious, truly fantastic and truly dangerous if not used prudently.

for dessert, i had some heady goodness that came from 2 gallons of full fat milk cooked for a full six hours to end up as the world's best kulfi, this side or that side of the atlantic.

i fuckin love me.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Bittu wrote:kadhi-chawal, tempered with my world famous scotch bonnet pepper sauce. truly delicious, truly fantastic and truly dangerous if not used prudently.

for dessert, i had some heady goodness that came from 2 gallons of full fat milk cooked for a full six hours to end up as the world's best kulfi, this side or that side of the atlantic.

i fuckin love me.

you know it's really rude to gloat this way when someone else is telling a sad tale. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:16 pm

no gloatation, just pure self enjoymentification really.

besides, I don't feel particularly bad for you eating PBJ sammiches after your nonstop gourmandish hoggism in India the past week or so. Actually IMHO you should be on plain cornflakes and water for a week now.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:55 pm

lunch KutbALN

lunch Vwl8Qqm

lunch B4N5Jed

lunch MFpIneRlunch MuNJCha

lunch ZghXIDD

lunch 22R7h5v

lunch ZFhQQTz

lunch KlQdB7v

lunch YNheN8v

lunch BfecHoy

lunch Pol7UlD

lunch KjdJtbA

lunch Mu81mOJ"

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Sambar rice and kakara kai aka bitter gourd.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:55 pm

No mango pix?? Sad

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Bittu wrote:No mango pix?? Sad

oh damn, i don't! atleast not in my iphone. will look up my cam and see if i clicked any from that... what a miss. I ate mango morning, noon, evening, and night. and i didn't click pics of it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:11 pm

lunch Mangos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:13 pm

lunch Img_0414

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:22 pm

nice pics, rashu. you clicked them?