Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum?

+4
Petrichor
Jebediah Mburuburu
Maria S
iTEDx
8 posters

Go down

Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum? Empty Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum?

Post by iTEDx Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum? had a question

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum? Empty Re: Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum?

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Ask..will be around for the next 20 mins. If I know enough, will respond.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum? Empty Re: Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum?

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 pm

My watch says 20 mins:)

Ok..am logging off..if I can,  will check this thread tomorrow or Monday.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:37 pm

iTEDx wrote:Any Doctors, Scientist or medically inclined people on this forum? had a question
there's one that's inclined, to what, one doesn't know.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:09 pm

I have this question:

Is this a better option

http://www.mdmbas.com/ForProspectiveStudents/ProgramsandRankings/

than

Combined MD/Master's Degree
Master's Degrees in selected areas can be coordinated with the medical school curriculum to enhance research skills and expertise. Students in good standing can choose from several graduate programs. Students receive some credit toward the Master's Degree from courses taken as part of the MD Program. Most programs require 3-7 extra courses, usually concentrated in the first two years. Students are encouraged to develop a thesis project that satisfies the requirements of both the MD and Master's Degree programs. The remaining Master's Degree requirements are integrated with the clinical and research program in years 3-5. Most, but not all, Master's Degree programs are designed to be completed during the 5-year CCLCM program at no extra cost.

MD/MS in Biomedical Investigation with tracks in Biochemistry, Clinical Research Scholars, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Nutrition, Pathology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Physiology and Biotechnology
MD/MPH
MD/MA in Bioethics
MD/MS in Biomedical Engineering

???

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Maria S wrote:Ask..will be around for the next 20 mins. If I know enough, will respond.

>>>Maria,

I have this inquiry that several people on the web have as well. Whom does 911 call when they have an emergency?

(P.S. You were the one who said we could ask-- hahaha)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:I have this question:

Is this a better option

than

MD/MS in Biomedical Investigation with tracks in Biochemistry, Clinical Research Scholars, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Nutrition, Pathology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Physiology and Biotechnology
MD/MPH
MD/MA in Bioethics

???

I have a question for you (and your son).

What does your son want (not you), and why does he want to do one of these?

There are + and - and first draft should come from him. Then other non-scientists, non-doctors, and medically-straight (uninclined) can chip in.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Mb,
At Md level the option to choose a speciality is very personal. The individual likes,
Opportunities and personal goals come into play to make the selection.
Is your question which option presents greater financial benefits or greater career opportunities?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

There are + and - and first draft should come from him. Then other non-scientists, non-doctors, and medically-straight (uninclined) can chip in.

WhatA stupid question Saami, his son wants whatever he wants, don't ever forget your Indian roots, capiche?

P.S. That's how things work in my house

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Is this a better option

than

MD/MPH
MD/MA in Bioethics

???

>>> Plus he always has the other -more useful -option of spending his whole adult life posting in a forum on issues ranging from Akbar to danush to need for revolt over the 'no beedie smoking' hindi sign at arkonam railway station. The choice is his .. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Kris wrote:

Is this a better option

than

MD/MPH
MD/MA in Bioethics

???

>>> Plus he always has the other -more useful -option of spending his whole adult life posting in a forum on issues ranging from Akbar to danush to need for revolt over the 'no beedie smoking' hindi sign at arkonam railway station. The choice is his .. Smile

That would be his Doctoral thesis

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 am

truthbetold wrote:Mb,
At Md level the option to choose a speciality is very personal. The individual likes,
Is your question which option presents greater financial benefits or greater career opportunities?

What would be the analysis if you were to take into consideration -

* Financial Benefits
* Intellectual Challenges/Problem solving opportunities
* Market demand for skillset

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:09 am

Is this a better option

than

MD/MPH
MD/MA in Bioethics

???

At the moment, this is unrelated to him; it is simply a question that was on my mind when I saw the thread, hence decided to start a discussion around it.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:32 am

Maria S wrote:Ask..will be around for the next 20 mins. If I know enough, will respond.

Thanks! Sorry I had to step out yesterday after I posted this. I am helping out a close ailing relative suffering form depression and in the process  am doing a lot of research on my own, apart from scouting for good doctors, hospitals etc. I found an article, written in  complete layman's terms (so others who are not doctors but have had person experience, or have known people who have had this ailment can also chip in about their experiences). Wanted to ask you, from a doctor's or a scientist's perceptive, how far is this true? Where does the latest research stand?

http://bigthink.com/devil-in-the-data/the-chemical-imbalance-myth

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:06 am

iTEDx wrote:

Thanks! Sorry I had to step out yesterday after I posted this. I am helping out a close ailing relative suffering form depression and in the process  am doing a lot of research on my own, apart from scouting for good doctors, hospitals etc. I found an article, written in  complete layman's terms (so others who are not doctors but have had person experience, or have known people who have had this ailment can also chip in about their experiences). Wanted to ask you, from a doctor's or a scientist's perceptive, how far is this true? Where does the latest research stand?

http://bigthink.com/devil-in-the-data/the-chemical-imbalance-myth

No problem.

I can offer my opinion on this one.  As you know..research is always ongoing, but to my knowledge, there have not been any significant findings recently which we have changed the scientific understanding of depression.

*We know..Clinical Depression (Major Unipolar and Bipolar Depressive Disorder) can be attributed to many factors. Chemical changes in the brain is not entirely a myth..changes/fluctuations in brain chemistry (esp. levels of Neurotransmitters and Hormones) are related to mental conditions/disorders.

*However, as the article you posted states, I do agree that these chemical changes, esp. neurotransmitter fluctuations are "overemphasized" when it comes to treatment and antidepressants are often overprescribed..so medications alone "cannot fix the illness" and it's a myth to assume they will. They do have limited value, and can really help some patients, more than others. But, they do have many side effects (suicidal thoughts included) as well. So extreme caution has to be used in prescribing these meds, patients have to be monitored, dosage adjustments have to made constantly, changing meds or discontinuing meds are important. So, patients and their families have to be really involved in this process.

*There are several other causes..esp, genetic factors and environmental factors (which are  not emphasized as much) which one cannot "fully" overcome..and it's always a challenge for patients to manage their illnesses.

Having said that..don't want to sound too depressing..there is always hope (no medical professional can accurately predict the course of these illnesses) and many people do "manage" their illnesses-moods and feel better and live "productive" lives. Hopefully..new research findings can lead to other treatments as well.

Mental illnesses take a severe toll on the family/caregivers..so as you help your relative, you take care too.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:17 am

Kris wrote:

>>>Maria,

I have this inquiry that several people on the web have as well. Whom does 911 call when they have an emergency?

That's a great question Kris!

What kind of emergency Kris? You mean like a "food craving emergency"? If it's craving for Pizza the will call Pizza places, if it's craving for Chinese, Burgers etc..they call..their local restaurants for deliveries! hahaha:D!

Thankfully 911 calls are still answered by "real people"..and not machines! If they become ill and have a medical emergency, assume they will call the first responders-paramedics to check themselves out too.

Some 911 calls are funny..as long as they don't delay someone who really needs help..from getting it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SFpZlKBvY8
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:18 am

Maria S wrote:
No problem.

I can offer my opinion on this one.  As you know..research is always ongoing, but to my knowledge, there have not been any significant findings recently which we have changed the scientific understanding of depression.

*We know..Clinical Depression (Major Unipolar and Bipolar Depressive Disorder) can be attributed to many factors. Chemical changes in the brain is not entirely a myth..changes/fluctuations in brain chemistry (esp. levels of Neurotransmitters and Hormones) are related to mental conditions/disorders.

*However, as the article you posted states, I do agree that these chemical changes, esp. neurotransmitter fluctuations are "overemphasized" when it comes to treatment and antidepressants are often overprescribed..so medications alone "cannot fix the illness" and it's a myth to assume they will. They do have limited value, and can really help some patients, more than others. But, they do have many side effects (suicidal thoughts included) as well. So extreme caution has to be used in prescribing these meds, patients have to be monitored, dosage adjustments have to made constantly, changing meds or discontinuing meds are important. So, patients and their families have to be really involved in this process.

*There are several other causes..esp, genetic factors and environmental factors (which are  not emphasized as much) which one cannot "fully" overcome..and it's always a challenge for patients to manage their illnesses.

Having said that..don't want to sound too depressing..there is always hope (no medical professional can accurately predict the course of these illnesses) and many people do "manage" their illnesses-moods and feel better and live "productive" lives. Hopefully..new research findings can lead to other treatments as well.

Mental illnesses take a severe toll on the family/caregivers..so as you help your relative, you take care too.
+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:38 am

Maria S wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Maria,

That's a great question Kris!

What kind of emergency Kris? You mean like a "food craving emergency"? If it's craving for Pizza the will call Pizza places, if it's craving for Chinese, Burgers etc..they call..their local restaurants for deliveries! hahaha:D!

Thankfully 911 calls are still answered by "real people"..and not machines! If they become ill and have a medical emergency, assume they will call the first responders-paramedics to check themselves out too.

Some 911 calls are funny..as long as they don't delay someone who really needs help..from getting it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SFpZlKBvY8

The Call is a decent Halle Berry (well-past Moja/Vojo territory) movie based on 911 operators and a serial killer. 911 operators have a "quiet room" where they can head for decompressing and they have a 7x24 access to a mental health professional.

On another note, not sure if iTedx was around when this was discussed:
https://such.forumotion.com/t10762-side-effects

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:

* Financial Benefits
Mb,
My honest opinion, based on my years of experience on this forum, we as a group are not knowledgeable about such a specialized area of professional education.
However that has never stopped us from advising others. So in the spirit of uppili swami I will exhibit my ignorance. This is what I have observed among my family and friends(this groups contains a high proportion of mds and super specialities). Most mds prefer to do well in their education and go on to specialize or super specialize in areas of their liking. Since comprtetion intrudes upon likes they have to make a balanced decision. More in next post.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Mb,
Mdmba is an option that will help a doctor who has accumulated goodwill to start a medical group. Very lucrative if one is successful. It is probably of limited use for those out of school.

Md / Ms option would be a very expensive option for any Md in Usa. I am not aware of much financial benefit or significant opportunities for such degree. However it is a good option for a person who may not like to get into medical practice. Medical industry has several opportunities for mds and would probably welcome mds with Ms. If a Md is coming from outside Usa and did not pass tests to get residency, they can try this option. Few opportunities are available for them.
hope some of these nuggets of information are useful. Trust but verify.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:

* Financial Benefits
Mb,
My honest opinion, based on my years of experience on this forum,  we as a group are not knowledgeable about such a specialized area of professional education.
However that has never stopped us from advising others. So in the spirit of uppili swami I will exhibit my ignorance. This is what I have observed among my family and friends(this groups contains a high proportion of mds and super specialities). Most mds prefer to do well in their education and go on to specialize or super specialize in areas of their liking.  Since comprtetion intrudes upon likes they have to make a balanced decision. More in next post.
"Since comprtetion intrudes upon likes they have to make a balanced decision." -- tbt.

could you please explain this pkmlnweffy sentence to us?

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Maria S wrote:

No problem.

Thanks Maria. So then how does one a jidgement about what the best course of action is.....or rather in the face of ambiguity surrounding the role of neurotransmitters,  is a Psychatrist qualified tp prescribe meds? When I tool my relative to the doc, after 1 sitting only ( and without any bloodtest), he quickly prescribed an anti-depressant!

This brings me to my next question, what blood tests can indicate depression? (as in bllod test for which entity?) And can one tests for neurotreansmitters via a blood test?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Jm,
Unlike your superslow type writer, some of us use mobile devices such as kindal and it has a habit of mangling words. Most of the times I edit them later. Luckily for you sometimes I walkaway to attend to other tasks of life. You should be thankful that I am helping your stagnant old brain to stay active.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:32 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:

* Financial Benefits
Mb,
My honest opinion, based on my years of experience on this forum,  we as a group are not knowledgeable about such a specialized area of professional education.
However that has never stopped us from advising others. So in the spirit of uppili swami I will exhibit my ignorance. This is what I have observed among my family and friends(this groups contains a high proportion of mds and super specialities). Most mds prefer to do well in their education and go on to specialize or super specialize in areas of their liking.  Since comprtetion intrudes upon likes they have to make a balanced decision. More in next post.

Agree...most have no clue why they are doing these combo degrees except to add an additional degree behind their names, improve their chances of getting into the MD program, and under advice from super intelligent Half-baked Desis that it will "somehow" improve their chances in getting the specialty they are aiming for. Extremely very few applicantcan explain why an MBA, MPH, or an MS at the M1 level. And, BTW, it is not automatic that any MD is given admission and "allowed" to this combo degrees. The "committee" should be convinced that this "highly" smart applicant will not screw up his MD. Also, those who mention MD/MBA; MD-MS run the risk of screwing up their MD admission.

Of course, as you all know I say all these with authority and solid evidence...Razz 

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down