tada(i)!!!!!!!!!!!! Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tada(i)!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 posters

Go down

tada(i)!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty tada(i)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:54 am

CHILLI CON CARNE DOSAI

tada(i)!!!!!!!!!!!! 8FOOD-(2)

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130908/jsp/graphiti/17305856.jsp

Back to top Go down

tada(i)!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: tada(i)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:02 am

Note kiya jaye me lord, "This is chef Niladri Chakraborty, whom I first got to know when he was at the Kenilworth Hotel in Calcutta. The chef, who is now moving to north India".

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:08 am

in this case i is unnecessary. whatever this monstrosity is, it isn't remotely tamilian.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:10 am

why haven't you guys thought of taking your basic chapati and stuffing it with all kinds of weirdness? it's probably more robust anyway.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:why haven't you guys thought of taking your basic chapati and stuffing it with all kinds of weirdness? it's probably more robust anyway.
We do have different types of naans, rotis, paratha, and kulchas. But they still count as 'bread', not entree. There are special places which are totally based on variety of parathas or Kati rolls, but those, while good and popular, are not high end places. Dosa otoh is an popular entree.

Besides I think rice is much more universal than wheat is, and matches with different cuisines easily. Also, I guess the dosa presentation looks much better too.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Note kiya jaye me lord, "This is chef Niladri Chakraborty, whom I first got to know when he was at the Kenilworth Hotel in Calcutta. The chef, who is now moving to north India".
it's milord not me lord. yes, this is north indian creativity at it's zenith! that CCCD with an "i" looks utterly delicious! must have minced beef and not chicken/mutton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:23 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Note kiya jaye me lord, "This is chef Niladri Chakraborty, whom I first got to know when he was at the Kenilworth Hotel in Calcutta. The chef, who is now moving to north India".
it's milord not me lord. yes, this is north indian creativity at it's zenith! that CCCD with an "i" looks utterly delicious!
I googled me lord and saw entries and assumed it is correct. What I was trying to point out was that Calcutta is not north India like many people here try to believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:34 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:why haven't you guys thought of taking your basic chapati and stuffing it with all kinds of weirdness? it's probably more robust anyway.
We do have different types of naans, rotis, paratha, and kulchas. But they still count as 'bread', not entree. There are special places which are totally based on variety of parathas or Kati rolls, but those, while good and popular, are not high end places. Dosa otoh is an popular entree.

Besides I think rice is much more universal than wheat is, and matches with different cuisines easily. Also, I guess the dosa presentation looks much better too.
yes, you have a zillion kinds of parathas and rotis and batis and littis. from gujarat to punjab and rajasthan to bihar (even bangladesh -- bakarkhani). some of them are stuffed with meat (besides aloo-aloo and gobi-gobi and ah, yes, mooli!!!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
it's milord not me lord. yes, this is north indian creativity at it's zenith! that CCCD with an "i" looks utterly delicious!
I googled me lord and saw entries and assumed it is correct. What I was trying to point out was that Calcutta is not north India like many people here try to believe.
Call Bengali a North Indian & you would know. Wink.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 am

for most dravidian languages speaking people, bengal is very much in the north. they speak a sanskrit-derived langauge. their script resembles devnagari. for all intents and purposes they are north indians. i do realize their culture is different from the heartland and from haryanavis and punjabis.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:for most dravidian languages speaking people, bengal is very much in the north. they speak a sanskrit-derived langauge. their script resembles devnagari. for all intents and purposes they are north indians. i do realize their culture is different from the heartland and from haryanavis and punjabis.
And which Dravidians don't speak Sanskrit derived or inspired languages?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:49 am

smArtha wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:for most dravidian languages speaking people, bengal is very much in the north. they speak a sanskrit-derived langauge. their script resembles devnagari. for all intents and purposes they are north indians. i do realize their culture is different from the heartland and from haryanavis and punjabis.
i only said derived. you added a word i did not use, namely, inspired and i don't even know what you mean by that in this context. to my knowledge no dravidian language is derived from sanskrit. and before we get into any long winded discussion about what has been discussed to death at sulekha, unless you present some startling new information you are not going to change accepted knowledge.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm sure there are fillings for Northindian chhapatis, but Northindians don't own chhapatis, much the same way Southindians don't own dosas.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
smArtha wrote:
i only said derived. you added a word i did not use, namely, inspired and i don't even know what you mean by that in this context. to my knowledge no dravidian language is derived from sanskrit. and before we get into any long winded discussion about what has been discussed to death at sulekha, unless you present some startling new information you are not going to change accepted knowledge.
There is still a lot of disagreement in the academic and scholarly circles, regarding the origins of 'Dravida' languages. I can firmly say the verdict is not out and final yet for anyone to claim it as an 'accepted knowledge'. If we sample the literature of the last Millennium - Telugu, Kannada and to a larger extent even Malayalam display more Sanskrit roots than the so called Dravida ones. Tamizh is an exception to this. Heavy Sanskrit influence is evident in other 3 languages from their alphabet sequence, basic phonetics to grammar rules for prose and poetry. IMO, it is better to use the well established knowledge of directions to classify what makes up North, East, West or South India than relying on still-in-dispute language-origin theories.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:56 pm

LOL, on comments i can read. generally a mildly funny thread.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:05 pm

smArtha wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
smArtha wrote:
There is still a lot of disagreement in the academic and scholarly circles, regarding the origins of 'Dravida' languages. I can firmly say the verdict is not out and final yet for anyone to claim it as an 'accepted knowledge'. If we sample the literature of the last Millennium - Telugu, Kannada and to a larger extent even Malayalam display more Sanskrit roots than the so called Dravida ones. Tamizh is an exception to this. Heavy Sanskrit influence is evident in other 3 languages from their alphabet sequence, basic phonetics to grammar rules for prose and poetry. IMO, it is better to use the well established knowledge of directions to classify what makes up North, East, West or South India than relying on still-in-dispute language-origin theories.
at the risk of repeating everything that's already been said over and over again at sulekha, 'influenced-by' is a very different thing than 'derived from'. to say that english has been heavily influenced by french is a true statment. to say that it is derived from french is a joke.

all dravidian languages including thamizh have been influenced to a greater or lesser extent by sanskrit and have in turn influenced sanskrit. but the preponderance of evidence as to the origin of these languages points away from sanskrit. to my knowledge there is NO respected academic scholar, indian or non-indian who has written anything that suggests that any of the dravidian languages were derived from sanskrit.

re malayalam, it is a language wholly derived from old tamil. in fact the malayalam scholars consider the body of tamil sangam literature to also be their own literature.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
at the risk of repeating everything that's already been said over and over again at sulekha, 'influenced-by' is a very different thing than 'derived from'. to say that english has been heavily influenced by french is a true statment. to say that it is derived from french is a joke.

all dravidian languages including thamizh have been influenced to a greater or lesser extent by sanskrit and have in turn influenced sanskrit. but the preponderance of evidence as to the origin of these languages points away from sanskrit. to my knowledge there is NO respected academic scholar, indian or non-indian who has written anything that suggests that any of the dravidian languages were derived from sanskrit.
max, the same thing can be said about north indian languages. they were once ardh magadhi or perhaps pali. the IE classification of them is antiquated and should be subject to the same rigorous application you are applying for SI languages. don't be a frog in the well.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:03 pm

smArtha wrote:
There is still a lot of disagreement in the academic and scholarly circles, regarding the origins of 'Dravida' languages.
can you point me to some articles (references) where there is speculation about the origin of the dravidian languages? in particular can you point me to an article published in a peer reviewed journal which speculates on a sanskritic origin for any dravidian language?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down