A treasure - for Madras Thambis Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A treasure - for Madras Thambis

4 posters

Go down

A treasure - for Madras Thambis Empty A treasure - for Madras Thambis

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:08 am

....have posted some pics earlier.

But, this webpage-blog is phenomenal...pics, maps, drawings from 1750, 1800, 1900, and 1950. It even has a map of Madras from 1750s showing CLEARLY the two towns "Madarasa Patnam AND Chenna Patnam". And of course, 1900 map of Madras...

Madarasapatnam is the area of Fort station, high court, Parrys Corner upto the current beach Station.

Chennaptnam is to the north Vyasarpadi, Mint, Washermanpet.

Finally, the mystery Madras/Chennai is solved. This is what I have been insisting all along. Both are legit names.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

A treasure - for Madras Thambis Empty Re: A treasure - for Madras Thambis

Post by garam_kuta Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:49 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

But, this webpage-blog is phenomenal...pics, maps, drawings from 1750, 1800, 1900, and 1950.  It even has a map of Madras from 1750s showing CLEARLY the two towns "Madarasa Patnam AND Chenna Patnam". And of course, 1900 map of Madras...

Madarasapatnam is the area of Fort station, high court, Parrys Corner upto the current beach Station.  

Finally, the mystery Madras/Chennai is solved. This is what I have been insisting all along. Both are legit names.
wow..really.." CHENNAI[ORIGINATED]FROM'CHINA- patnam'-there was a Chinese merchants town in ancient times ;according to 19 th century book by English man...

were they uprooted and gone without a trace- these chinese merchants ??

so saamiyar.. you prefer madras or chennai

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:12 am

So, those days, lungi was worn by only poor people?

When did lungi become the dress code for TN?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 am

garam_kuta wrote:

But, this webpage-blog is phenomenal...pics, maps, drawings from 1750, 1800, 1900, and 1950.  It even has a map of Madras from 1750s showing CLEARLY the two towns "Madarasa Patnam AND Chenna Patnam". And of course, 1900 map of Madras...

wow..really.."  CHENNAI[ORIGINATED]FROM'CHINA- patnam'-there was a Chinese merchants town in ancient times ;according to 19 th century book by English man...

were they uprooted and gone without a trace- these chinese merchants ??

so saamiyar.. you prefer madras or chennai
For me it is always M A D R A S nalla M A D R A S.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:17 am

Here is more for Uppili:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/vignettes-of-villages-the-making-of-madras/article5261251.ece?homepage=true

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:47 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Here is more for Uppili:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/vignettes-of-villages-the-making-of-madras/article5261251.ece?homepage=true
it is sort of sad that very very few people in Madras or even those living and working around Mylapore/Triplicane even realize the ancient history of these two institutions. Although not religious and barely a theist, I go to all these temples and look at the main deities as the only things that relate our present to our eternal past and ancestors with a sense of permanency.

My grandfather used to describe his life and everything about Madras. The streets and houses built and in general its development. The only grandchild who did not find it boring and listened to every word of his. Then followed descriptions and development of the city by my father, and then as witnessed by myself...A sort of continuity and when I see streets, buildings, and other shops and structures, these descriptions run through my mind like a movie.

So in short when I see these towns and cities these days, it is always with a +/- mix of feelings.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:37 am

it is sort of sad that very very few people in Madras or even those living and working around Mylapore/Triplicane even realize the ancient history of these two institutions. Although not religious and barely a theist, I go to all these temples and look at the main deities as the only things that relate our present to our eternal past and ancestors with a sense of permanency.

My grandfather used to describe his life and everything about Madras.  The streets and houses built and in general its development. The only grandchild who did not find it boring and listened to every word of his. Then followed descriptions and development of the city by my father, and then as witnessed by myself...A sort of continuity and when I see streets, buildings, and other shops and structures, these descriptions run through my mind like a movie.

So in short when I see these towns and cities these days, it is always with a +/- mix of feelings.
>>>I imagine the old Madras started giving way to the new Madras, with the advent of flats in the 70s(?). Certain pockets probably held out a little longer, maybe Mylapore. It is still a sore point in our family that my maternal grandfather sold his house in Usman road in T.Nagar in the late 50s, thereby missing out on a windfall that would come within two generations. My father and some of the older folks in the family used to talk about riding the trams, for very nominal fares. Even when I was a kid, we could see remnants of those tracks here and there in Usman road.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:55 am

Kris wrote:

My grandfather used to describe his life and everything about Madras.  The streets and houses built and in general its development. The only grandchild who did not find it boring and listened to every word of his. Then followed descriptions and development of the city by my father, and then as witnessed by myself...A sort of continuity and when I see streets, buildings, and other shops and structures, these descriptions run through my mind like a movie.

>>>I imagine the old Madras started giving way to the new Madras, with the advent of flats in the 70s(?). Certain pockets probably held out a little longer, maybe Mylapore. It is still a sore point in our family that my maternal grandfather sold his house in Usman road in T.Nagar in the late 50s, thereby missing out on a windfall that would come within two generations. My father and some of the older folks in the family used to talk about riding the trams, for very nominal fares. Even when I was a kid, we could see remnants of those tracks here and there in Usman road.
Not in Usman Road...but rather Mount Road. They covered it up in the 70s. The flats started coming mid to late 80s. In the 90s the owners started selling empty grounds infront of the houses. Then the houses themselves. There were NO SHOPS on Ramanathan st, Mangesh Street, Motilal Street, etc...in the 80s.by 90s things changed. There was a long gap of 9 years that I did not go to India in mid 90s to early 2000s. EVERYTHING had transformed in that period, a time when Netscape also showed up. I still have a couple of uncles who might fill me in with more details. The tall shops on Usman Road started coming up in late 90s.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:09 am

Kris wrote:

Not in Usman Road...but rather Mount Road. They covered it up in the 70s. The flats started coming mid to late 80s. In the 90s the owners started selling empty grounds infront of the houses. Then the houses themselves. There were NO SHOPS on Ramanathan st, Mangesh Street, Motilal Street, etc...in the 80s.by 90s things changed. There was a long gap of 9 years that I did not go to India in mid 90s to early 2000s. EVERYTHING had transformed in that period, a time when Netscape also showed up. I still have a couple of uncles who might fill me in with more details.  The tall shops on Usman Road started coming up in late 90s.  
>>>Ok, maybe the tracks in Usman Road were something else then. I will ask my dad when I see him next time. Some of my cousins sold their family home about 7 or 8 years ago. It was built in the 1930s maybe by their grandfather. It was one of the last holdouts in that area and the buyer converted it into flats. All the trees are gone and all the backyard space has been used up too. It was a place I used to play in.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down