desi coffee filter Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

desi coffee filter

+4
confuzzled dude
smArtha
Kris
garam_kuta
8 posters

Go down

desi coffee filter Empty desi coffee filter

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:15 am

Saw XH using this today with some Suma coffee. His mom had got it from him from B'lore.

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2005/11/27/indian-coffee-filter/

Interesting.

Back to top Go down

desi coffee filter Empty Re: desi coffee filter

Post by garam_kuta Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:08 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Saw XH using this today with some Suma coffee. His mom had got it from him from B'lore.

Interesting.
from time immemorial, this is what almost all SIs use in their home, and in jumbo size at the restaurants for making kApi decoction.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

Interesting.
from time immemorial, this is what almost all SIs use in their home, and in jumbo size at the restaurants for making kApi decoction.
Oh really? THIS is the filter coffee you all been raving about? I used to imagine it to be a much more elaborate and involved process. From what XH told me this was something better than instant coffee but not as good as the 'real' filter coffee. When he gets up in the morning he put coffee and water in it. When he gets ready half hour later he heats it up again in the microwave and takes it with him on his commute.

What is 'real' filter coffee, if there is one? Anyway will try this one this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

Interesting.
Oh really? THIS is the filter coffee you all been raving about? I used to imagine it to be a much more elaborate and involved process. From what XH told me this was something better than instant coffee but not as good as the 'real' filter coffee. When he gets up in the morning he put coffee and water in it. When he gets ready half hour later he heats it up again in the microwave and takes it with him on his commute.

What is 'real' filter coffee, if there is one? Anyway will try this one this weekend.
>>it seemed like it, the way my parents went about it. My dad still raves about people depending on their coffee-making ability. This filter-coffee was the item they missed the most on their first visit to the US and after that, they started coming equipped with both the equipment and the coffee of their choice from India. Try it and let us know. I never
understood it.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:07 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Oh really? THIS is the filter coffee you all been raving about? I used to imagine it to be a much more elaborate and involved process. From what XH told me this was something better than instant coffee but not as good as the 'real' filter coffee. When he gets up in the morning he put coffee and water in it. When he gets ready half hour later he heats it up again in the microwave and takes it with him on his commute.

South Indian coffee, also known as filter coffee is a sweet milky coffee made from dark roasted coffee beans (70–80%) and chicory (30–20%), especially popular in the southern states of Tamil NaduKarnataka & Andhra Pradesh. The most commonly used coffee beans are Arabica andRobusta grown in the hills of Tamil Nadu (Nilgiris DistrictYercaud and Kodaikanal), Karnataka (KodaguChikkamagaluru and Hassan), and Kerala (Malabar region).
Outside India, a coffee drink prepared using a filter may be known as Filter Coffee or as Drip Coffee as the water passes through the grounds solely by gravity and not under pressure or in longer-term contact.

Read More at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_filter_coffee

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

Interesting.

try cotha's coffee neat (has a higher % of chicory that may give GI reflux ) or mix it with say seattle mountain blend from costco.

reheating  coffee decoction is a total loss- OK to store large quantities of strong (3X or 4X or higher) stock solution in refrigerator.

Heat up the milk  (whatever % of fat) almost to boiling -see effervescence around the circumference of the milk.

pour it on the decoction (1/4th volume of milk) that has been brought to room temperature - pardonable to heat up decoction for a very short time in microwave to bring it to say about lukewarm temperature (20 seconds or so depending on volume, of course).

the next step - the famous indian way/art of mixing coffee/chAi  to completion, bringing up froth, like in cappuccino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYoQoE64-dc

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Kris wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

Interesting.

>>it seemed like it, the way my parents went about it. My dad still raves about people depending on their coffee-making ability. This filter-coffee was the item they missed the most on their first visit to the US and after that, they started coming equipped with both the equipment and the coffee of their choice from India. Try it and let us know. I never understood it.
Good thing flimflam is not around. Would've thrown a huge fit for blatant ingratiation Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:21 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

Interesting.

>>it seemed like it, the way my parents went about it. My dad still raves about people depending on their coffee-making ability. This filter-coffee was the item they missed the most on their first visit to the US and after that, they started coming equipped with both the equipment and the coffee of their choice from India. Try it and let us know. I never understood it.
Good thing flimflam is not around. Would've thrown a huge fit for blatant ingratiation Smile
Mallus are more of Chai drinkers.

PS: Wannabe Iyers may be different.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:37 pm

smArtha wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Oh really? THIS is the filter coffee you all been raving about? I used to imagine it to be a much more elaborate and involved process. From what XH told me this was something better than instant coffee but not as good as the 'real' filter coffee. When he gets up in the morning he put coffee and water in it. When he gets ready half hour later he heats it up again in the microwave and takes it with him on his commute.

South Indian coffee, also known as filter coffee is a sweet milky coffee made from dark roasted coffee beans (70–80%) and chicory (30–20%), especially popular in the southern states of Tamil NaduKarnataka & Andhra Pradesh. The most commonly used coffee beans are Arabica andRobusta grown in the hills of Tamil Nadu (Nilgiris DistrictYercaud and Kodaikanal), Karnataka (KodaguChikkamagaluru and Hassan), and Kerala (Malabar region).
Outside India, a coffee drink prepared using a filter may be known as Filter Coffee or as Drip Coffee as the water passes through the grounds solely by gravity and not under pressure or in longer-term contact.

Read More at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_filter_coffee

Thanks. So as per this site, unless you are freshly grounding the coffee beans yourself, the only difference between SI filter kapi and 'drip' coffee is that in kapi, you are somehow (lightly) compressing the coffee powder when passing water through it. isthatall or istheremore? I really used to imagine pretty ammas getting up in the morning, showering, and then with a thin towel wrapped around their thick hair crushing coffee beans blah blah and compressing through some filter, what not to make that unique kapi with its aroma and what not. But hey, I drink coffee maybe 5 times a year, so what do I know.

Thanks for the reco GK. Not sure what XH has. Will ask him to make some for me this weekend and watch the process again...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:I really used to imagine pretty ammas getting up in the morning, showering, and then with a thin towel wrapped around their thick hair crushing coffee beans blah blah and compressing through some filter, what not to make that unique kapi with its aroma and what not. But hey, I drink coffee maybe 5 times a year, so what do I know.
Like this? tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Meena lochani? U Sindhi now?

Leo coffee name sounds like in the same league as waagh bakri chai. Am never ever gonna buy it. Is it famous?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Meena lochani? U Sindhi now?

Leo coffee name sounds like in the same league as waagh bakri chai. Am never ever gonna buy it. Is it famous?
No Sindhi. R'ber chennai express?

Edit: I dunno if it's famous or not. I am not a coffee drinker. Narasu's coffee is famous for sure, in TN. That much i know. Elsewhere, i think it's brookbond.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Meenalochani wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:I really used to imagine pretty ammas getting up in the morning, showering, and then with a thin towel wrapped around their thick hair crushing coffee beans blah blah and compressing through some filter, what not to make that unique kapi with its aroma and what not. But hey, I drink coffee maybe 5 times a year, so what do I know.
Like this? tongue

Exactly, Meena. Don't you love the lady's sari - is it a Kanjeevaram? - and the gentleman's mustache?

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Meenalochani wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Meena lochani? U Sindhi now?

No Sindhi. R'ber chennai express?

Edit: I dunno if it's famous or not. I am not a coffee drinker. Narasu's coffee is famous for sure, in TN. That much i know. Elsewhere, i think it's brookbond.

Watched chennai express last week. Not impressed at all. SRK overacting omg. My biggest complain was, if she was RUNNING AWAY from her father and cousins, why in the world was she running to catch chennai express that passes through her goddamn village.

But anyway, the only part that connected to my heart was when he walks up the temple carrying her. The soft tender SRK spot in the bollywood section of my heart was touched. Rest of the movie was passable really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:10 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Meenalochani wrote:
Like this? tongue

Exactly, Meena. Don't you love the lady's sari - is it a Kanjeevaram? - and the gentleman's mustache?
Yeah, that's Mrs. Priya giving coffee to Mr. Srikanth. tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

Interesting.
This is the gold Iyer Pilter Kaappi.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Narasu's in amazon = $30/500gm. Ridic!

http://www.amazon.com/Narasus-Udhayam-Coffee-and-Chicory/dp/B000MQ6ZX8/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1384309394&sr=1-2&keywords=narasu%27s+coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:16 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Meenalochani wrote:
Like this? tongue

The gentleman is Aravind Swamy...
Kanjeevaram??? not sure
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down