sherawat on piers morgan Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sherawat on piers morgan

+8
Kris
Rishi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
pravalika nanda
churi.
Hellsangel
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
12 posters

Go down

sherawat on piers morgan Empty sherawat on piers morgan

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

sherawat on piers morgan Empty Re: sherawat on piers morgan

Post by bw Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:52 pm

what's with the fake yank accent?

she could have given a more subtle answer than "yeah, all's well in america for women, we are so backward".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:09 am

she's indian with a yank accent. sort of like a paneer dOsA. and she's from bollywood where no one does subtle. still good that she has chosen to make this a cause however short her attention span.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:50 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:she's indian with a yank accent. sort of like a paneer dOsA.  and she's from bollywood where no one does subtle.  still good that she has chosen to make this a cause however short her attention span.

wonder why she has to have a yank accent - i can somewhat understand indians living in the US acquiring it, as horrible as it may sound. her choice of cause is commendable but making these sweeping statements and agreeing wholeheartedly with piers on all being well with the american women sounds rather stupid. she could have made some interesting comparisons and made her point.

piers morgan was a tabloid writer in the UK and now he is on CNN? interesting!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:28 am

A new object of affection after Batma Laxmi, Il Professor-ai? She found Modi to be the most eligible bachelor in India.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:31 am

That's not even remotely an American accent. I sounds like a typical NRI accent to my ear. Her accent shouldn't detract from the message she is trying to convey.
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:44 am

churi. wrote:That's not even remotely an American accent.

it was a trying to put an american accent accent. anyway, i agree with you about the message, but the playing to the gallery and conceding that things were hunky dory for women in the US was very low class.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:33 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

it was a trying to put an american accent accent. anyway, i agree with you about the message, but the playing to the gallery and conceding that things were hunky dory for women in the US was very low class.

** maybe you don't understand this cuz you're an indian man, but america is far safer for indian women - even culturally. if I was living in india, I would have gotten married at 19 to my first cousin - my dad tried to force me to marry him anyway although I was growing up here. I would have had at least 4 kids by now, I would have had to give up my career cuz I have to make tiffin all the time, make carriages for the kids and the husband, plan for this pooja and that, checking mahurthams all the time. I'd probably not have nice shampoo or a nice haircut or even nice underclothes. I would be using lifebuoy soap and shika kai and parachute hair oil. Indian people even educated ones are generally stupid, they may know math and science but they don't know how to think independently, make choices, or choose those things that will make them happy. Of course, I'm not talking about well-off, well-traveled upper class Indians, they are like wealthy spoilt arabs or americans.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:37 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
** maybe you don't understand this cuz you're an indian man, but america is far safer for indian women - even culturally.

strawman. if i didn't believe what you wrote i wouldn't be raising family here. i did have many other attractive options, but i chose to live and prosper here. and i love the way you paint everything as black and white with no shades of gray in the rest of your post. the environment i grew up was far more nuanced for women than your stark description.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:43 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

** maybe you don't understand this cuz you're an indian man, but america is far safer for indian women - even culturally. if I was living in india, I would have gotten married at 19 to my first cousin - my dad tried to force me to marry him anyway although I was growing up here. I would have had at least 4 kids by now, I would have had to give up my career cuz I have to make tiffin all the time, make carriages for the kids and the husband, plan for this pooja and that, checking mahurthams all the time. I'd probably not have nice shampoo or a nice haircut or even nice underclothes. I would be using lifebuoy soap and shika kai and parachute hair oil. Indian people even educated ones are generally stupid, they may know math and science but they don't know how to think independently, make choices, or choose those things that will make them happy. Of course, I'm not talking about well-off, well-traveled upper class Indians, they are like wealthy spoilt arabs or americans.

We need to know exactly what your career is. Everything else you mentioned is actually great and many working women would love that.

Based on your EXACT career, I will pronounce my judgement if you really made a good decision of picking your "career" over "Mr. Rami Reddy"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:48 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
** maybe you don't understand this cuz you're an indian man, but america is far safer for indian women - even culturally.

strawman. if i didn't believe what you wrote i wouldn't be raising family here. i did have many other attractive options, but i chose to live and prosper here.

** oh I assumed that you belonged to the upper classes, certainly culturally you do, and I think because of that the girls in your family - the ones who live in india - must be well off and have a lot of freedom?

** my cousins in india who're 19 are already getting engaged - to their first cousins, before the boys have found proper employment! forget about it, my family is just too messed up to compare with anyone else. the cousins who have eloped have run off with the first person they liked, without any dating. you can't just run off like with the first piece of nothing that whistles at you.

** anyhow max, I gotta read some. I need to cheer myself up.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Churi,

Who do you feel comfortable to be around with?

1. Indians from India
2. Blacks from South Africa
3. Whites from South Africa
4. Indians from South Africa

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

There are lot of kids coming out of "opps" schools talk like that. With internet and TV exposure, and not to mention "coaching schools" many speak in "american enough" accent.

Perhaps the Indian movie-kiss queen Sherawat worked at a "call center" for a while before coming to movies at 25 yrs....to be "on call"...24/7.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

There are lot of kids coming out of "opps" schools talk like that. With internet and TV exposure, and not to mention "coaching schools" many speak in "american enough" accent.

Perhaps the Indian movie-kiss queen Sherawat worked at a "call center" for a while before coming to movies at 25 yrs....to be "on call"...24/7.

>>>She had to get trained in it for some movie, I think. I saw an interview with her about that time and it was pretty obvious she was working on it. She did preface the interview by saying that was the real her and it was just that she was trying not to lose it, since she was in the middle of the movie shoot.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:15 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>> In an otherwise gripping tale of 'what may have been', this is what stumped me. What the heck is this 'carriage'?

P.S> Either you are seriously out-of-touch with what is happening with your cousins or they have completely missed the boat on the Indian middle class's trajectory over the past generation.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Kris wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>> In an otherwise gripping tale of 'what may have been', this is what stumped me. What the heck is this 'carriage'?

P.S> Either you are seriously out-of-touch with what is happening with your cousins or they have completely missed the boat on the Indian middle class's trajectory over the past generation.

PN must be a rich Reddygaru...no matter how many mines they own, they never lose "those" traditions. But, indeed people do change but PN has been super busy studying working during her internship.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Kris wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

PN must be a rich Reddygaru...no matter how many mines they own, they never lose "those" traditions. But, indeed people do change but PN has been super busy studying working during her internship.
Internship? Is that what they call a residency nowadays?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:55 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>> PN,

Twenty years ago, I was looking for a desi woman exactly like you. But unfortunately none existed at that time.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Rishi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>> PN,

Twenty years ago, I was looking for a desi woman exactly like you. But unfortunately none existed at that time.

>>>She did exist, but was not 19 just yet. Smile Anyway, why dwell on the past? She is here now. Go to it, Manjay!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Kris wrote:

i think she is referring to "tiffin carriages", the multi-tiered contraptions made of stainless steel.

it has been ages since i heard anyone use that term and i am surprised that someone who grew up in the US for the better part of her life knows and uses such terms.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>She had to get trained in it for some movie, I think. I saw an interview with her about that time and it was pretty obvious she was working on it. She did preface the interview by saying that was the real her and it was just that she was trying not to lose it, since she was in the middle of the movie shoot.

she certainly didn't have the yank twang when shouting at the journalist.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:10 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>When was this? I have heard her only once and that was in the interview I mentioned from a couple of years ago. As I said, I thought it was evident her speech was something that she had to work on. It was not a natural flow ( as that would have meant hinglish. Oh, God!)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:12 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Telugus and Tamils speaking accented English with a yank twang rank among some of the most horrible accents I have heard.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:12 pm

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>When was this? I have heard her only once and that was in the interview I mentioned from a couple of years ago. As I said, I thought it was evident her speech was something that she had to work on. It was not a natural flow ( as that would have meant hinglish. Oh, God!)

in the video above, there is a clip of her shouting at some journalist.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:14 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

i think she is referring to "tiffin carriages", the multi-tiered contraptions made of stainless steel.

it has been ages since i heard anyone use that term and i am surprised that someone who grew up in the US for the better part of her life knows and uses such terms.
>>>> Hot damn! You are right. I didn't think of that. That Rishi is gonna be one lucky fella. Smile

Happy new year..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Telugus and Tamils speaking accented English with a yank twang rank among some of the most horrible accents I have heard.

+1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Churi,

1. Indians from India

i feel comfortable with all kinds of people. but more than anything else, i feel the most comfortable with someone from outside the US who went through the experience of going to graduate school in the US. especially if it involved some science and/or engineering discipline for a lengthy period of time. then it's an immediate connection. that experience changes you like no other.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Churi,

1. Indians from India

i feel comfortable with all kinds of people. but more than anything else, i feel the most comfortable with someone from outside the US who went through the experience of going to graduate school in the US. especially if it involved some science and/or engineering discipline for a lengthy period of time. then it's an immediate connection. that experience changes you like no other.

didn't realize you were asking churi not me. sorry.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:33 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

strawman. if i didn't believe what you wrote i wouldn't be raising family here. i did have many other attractive options, but i chose to live and prosper here.

** oh I assumed that you belonged to the upper classes, certainly culturally you do, and I think because of that the girls in your family - the ones who live in india - must be well off and have a lot of freedom?

** my cousins in india who're 19 are already getting engaged - to their first cousins, before the boys have found proper employment! forget about it, my family is just too messed up to compare with anyone else. the cousins who have eloped have run off with the first person they liked, without any dating. you can't just run off like with the first piece of nothing that whistles at you.

Hmm. So Janice, Telugu Brahmins are a stupid in-bred lot?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:35 pm

what kind of an accent do you think you all have? Just curious.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i know what you mean - especially when there is a "ya knaaw" added at the end. i used to know a woman in the US (a fellow grad student) who got engaged to some guy in calif and i still recall her telling us in her telugu-yank twang " he is in caaaalifaarnia - has a beee.emm.www, ya knaaw".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

>>>Tel Brahm= TN Bubbas, in other words.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Churi,

1. Indians from India

I think I have some mild, light misanthropy going on. 
I am averse to all variants of the species in equal measure.
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:47 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Churi,

1. Indians from India

didn't realize you were asking churi not me. sorry.

But since you answered - why the particular fixation on people who attended graduate school on the US? Why not any good graduate school in any other part of the world? I get the science/engg specs - I align well with those types, too. But I don't get the whole US halo thing.
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:53 pm

the passionate, proud indian speaks yet again. wonder why she isn't proud of her homegrown accent though!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:21 pm

churi. wrote:

But since you answered - why the particular fixation on people who attended graduate school on the US? Why not any good graduate school in any other part of the world? I get the science/engg specs - I align well with those types, too. But I don't get the whole US halo thing.

oh no halo at all. just a strong shared experience that stays with you for a long time.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:12 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

for every woman that gets married under 18 there are 10s of women that don't. Now what's your point? Rest of your post seems to be talking about your mother's generation not about current generation.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:19 pm

bw wrote:the passionate, proud indian speaks yet again. wonder why she isn't proud of her homegrown accent though!

I could understand what she was saying. Most often I can't understand what an Indian is saying unless she was born and raised in the US. "Paahlidics" (for politics) and "baahrom" (for bottom) are a small price to pay for understanding the substance of her speech.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:31 pm

swapna wrote:
bw wrote:the passionate, proud indian speaks yet again. wonder why she isn't proud of her homegrown accent though!

I could understand what she was saying. Most often I can't understand what an Indian is saying unless she was born and raised in the US. "Paahlidics" (for politics) and "baahrom" (for bottom) are a small price to pay for understanding the substance of her speech.

do you gaze at her, swapna?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Kris wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

I am not sure that PN is a telugu brahmin. I haven't heard of people marrying cousins in at least 2 generations before our generation. And none in my generation or next . Generally brahmin girls are well educated and most of them have good "careers". And most girls marry only after the age of 23-25.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:22 am

b_A wrote:
Kris wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I am not sure that PN is a telugu brahmin. I haven't heard of people marrying cousins in at least 2 generations before our generation. And none in my generation or next . Generally brahmin girls are well educated and most of them have good "careers". And most girls marry only after the age of 23-25.

>>> Of course, but you cannot bring these things up. It is going to upset PN's narrative of Indian middle class existence based on her vast sample size of one family.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:46 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

carriages? horse drawn? enna ma? and, what's wrong with shika kai and parachute oil? if only we women used it here, we would not be complaining about thinning hair. very few american born have thick lustrous hair. wonder why that is, diet related to a certain extent perhaps but there is definitely something about the oil and shika kai. ahhh, mahurthams, i got that now. phew....

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:55 am

b_A wrote:
Kris wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Rajulu, the kshatriya class marry their girls off at an early age. That's how it used to be when i was growing up. Brahmin girls were usually married late. 1. they do so only after they complete their education and get a job 2. they marry only if the horoscopes match. That takes a bit of time to find the right match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down