suketu mehta's scathing critique of new age racism from academic social scientists Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

suketu mehta's scathing critique of new age racism from academic social scientists

4 posters

Go down

suketu mehta's scathing critique of new age racism from academic social scientists Empty suketu mehta's scathing critique of new age racism from academic social scientists

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:34 am

...of the chua and rubenfeld kind:

http://content.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,2163555,00.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

suketu mehta's scathing critique of new age racism from academic social scientists Empty Re: suketu mehta's scathing critique of new age racism from academic social scientists

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:41 am

i loved this line. haha...

Chinese Americans in New York City, it turns out, earn less than other groups lacking the Triple Package. The median household income of Chinese in the city ($42,766) is lower than that of Ecuadoreans ($46,126), Haitians ($48,175) and Pakistanis ($50,912). The New York City group with the highest percentage of high school graduates isn't Chinese or Indians; it's Ukrainians (94.4%). But rarely are we treated to encomiums about the cultural superiority of the Borscht Mom.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

suketu mehta's scathing critique of new age racism from academic social scientists Empty Re: suketu mehta's scathing critique of new age racism from academic social scientists

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:46 am

and this:

It's not conformity that makes this country great; it's an individual striking out against the expectations of his culture, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg dropping out of Harvard, Miles Davis coming out of heroin addiction to produce 'Round About Midnight, the 14-year-old Billie Holiday turning the pain of her childhood into the bluest beauty, Sylvia Plath taking on death with pills and poetry, William S. Burroughs writing from the bowels of his addiction in Naked Lunch; it's Hemingway and Fitzgerald and Cheever and Carver drinking and writing, writing and drinking through their demons. Imagine what American culture would be if American artists had kept a tight check on their impulses.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 am

1. Ukrainians - smaller base 80K population (and a specious use of stat, if I ever saw one)
2. My fb comment on the book which I haven't read (based off of the Times shill):

"I think this is a fairly accurate identification of factors although I do not agree that 'groups' have anything to do with it. I think these factors are common to all those 'risers' and not just these groups."
3. Chua and Rubenfeld are far too clever to directly attribute it to culture - the triple package is just a set of factors they found at higher than normal prevalence in those Asian groups. No one can pick holes in that argument.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 am

another critique:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/02/10/amy-tiger-mom-chua-new-york-times-jed-rubenfeld-triple-package/

i agree with this review. i listened to the wife and husband team on tom ashbrook's show recently in advance of their book. they seem thoroughly confused -- one moment espousing their 'cultural superiority as the basis for success' theory, and strenuously explaining the exceptions through increasingly convoluted arguments the next.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 am

Petrichor wrote:1. Ukrainians - smaller base 80K population (and a specious use of stat, if I ever saw one)
2. My fb comment on the book which I haven't read (based off of the Times shill):

"I think this is a fairly accurate identification of factors although I do not agree that 'groups' have anything to do with it. I think these factors are common to all those 'risers' and not just these groups."
3. Chua and Rubenfeld are far too clever to directly attribute it to culture - the triple package is just a set of factors they found at higher than normal prevalence in those Asian groups. No one can pick holes in that argument.

i haven't read their book either, but to me impulse control is the opposite of risk taking which to me is a very important aspect of american individualism and entrepreneurship. i wonder if they discuss that at all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:49 am

Petrichor wrote:1. Ukrainians - smaller base 80K population (and a specious use of stat, if I ever saw one)

they didn't sound particularly clever on tom ashbrook's show. there was another academic on the show who was tearing them both new ones.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:49 am

A large number those emigrating from Ukraine after the fall of the Soviet Union were Jewish and Protestant.

From wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_American

And also anecdotal.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 am

"Impulse Control" in this context and the way they have used it is related to self-satiation/aggrandizement - this is a well-accepted "deferring-rewards-in-infancy" theory. Risk taking is impulsive but in an outward-focused sense.

When Zuckerberg refuses VC money if it involves dilution when he was barely out of college, that is risk taking. When Wolf-of-Wall-St. DiCaprio snorts heroin off of a stripper's unmentionable, that is lack of impulse control.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:23 am

Petrichor wrote:"Impulse Control" in this context and the way they have used it is related to self-satiation/aggrandizement - this is a well-accepted "deferring-rewards-in-infancy" theory. Risk taking is impulsive but in an outward-focused sense.

When Zuckerberg refuses VC money if it involves dilution when he was barely out of college, that is risk taking. When Wolf-of-Wall-St. DiCaprio snorts heroin off of a stripper's unmentionable, that is lack of impulse control.

i look at their (and presumably your own) examples of impulse control -- the dropping out of college and the drug snorting as two extremes in a continuum. same with playing it safe and working from within the system -- could lead to a mundane workaday existence (most office bound working stiffs) or nadella.

i haven't read her earlier book and i haven't read the new joint effort with the husband. but their appearances on radio shows and the excerpts from various print and internet media places don't compel me to pick up their book/s. i think i'll pass.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:00 pm

well written take down of that ludicrous book, but his arguments have their own flaws....his daddy might have come to america to score permissive hip gyrating chicks from chuck berry's videos, but most of them dont come because of permissiveness..it's the ease of making money and living your own life without oppressive govt big brothers (something liberals the world over just looooove), not because of "permissiveness". and it's a fact that cultures that produce offspring that succeed are generally conservative without being overly dogmatic abt it. single parent families with drug use and permissive sexual mores rarely do, outliers quoted, not withstanding.

but this guy's a professor, so he most likely isnt too strong on 'reality' front

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:08 pm

For a 45-minute discussion with the authors that Max mentioned above from WBUR:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/02/04/tiger-mom-amy-chua-triple-package

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down