bhArathi yAr?  (tamil content) Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bhArathi yAr? (tamil content)

3 posters

Go down

bhArathi yAr?  (tamil content) Empty bhArathi yAr? (tamil content)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

bhArathi yAr?  (tamil content) Empty Re: bhArathi yAr? (tamil content)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:56 pm

fascinating conversation about the poet. both are obviously fans of the man, but there is an important distinction, she comes at it from the standpoint of a woman. ca. the 17 minute mark, they are discussing how bhArathi used to feed grains of rice to crows and sparrows while he himself was mired in poverty.  the guy talks of this incident with great admiration for the poet, but she takes chellamAl's (bhArathi's wife's) side. if you listen to nothing else listen to this part of the conversation.

husband and wife went to the thiruvananthapuram zoo. the poet king became very happy when he saw a lion and stuck his hand into its enclosure and remarked, 'you are the king of beasts and i am the king of the verse form'. chellammAl is said to have prayed asking god to give the lion thoughtfulness to behave responsibly because she was convinced her husband was a lost cause.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:04 pm

When I went to to the Bharati museum in Chennai I told the management to give me some of the Hindi books written by him. He is said to have written 2-3 books in Hindi. They could not do so. Even in the case of his tamil works they should have had high quality English or Hindi translations so someone like me could read them.
Lastly, they did have his biographies in English. But these were not for sale. They asked me to go to a particular govt operated book shop to purchase biographies of Bharati. I went there and was told they did not have any books or biographies of Bharati.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:When I went to to the Bharati museum in Chennai I told the management to give me some of the Hindi books written by him. He is said to have written 2-3 books in Hindi. They could not do so. Even in the case of his tamil works they should have had high quality English or Hindi translations so someone like me could read them.
Lastly, they did have his biographies in English. But these were not for sale. They asked me to go to a particular govt operated book shop to purchase biographies of Bharati. I went there and was told they did not have any books or biographies of Bharati.

When I asked for something by Bharati in Hindi, the lady I spoke to produced a book and told me that this book is not in tamil. Is it in Hindi? It was not in Hindi, but may have been in Kannada or Telugu because the script looked like the script of a Dravidian language.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks for this post. Very good conversation indeed. Hope more Tamilians see this than watching stupid serials on TV Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:When I went to to the Bharati museum in Chennai I told the management to give me some of the Hindi books written by him. He is said to have written 2-3 books in Hindi. They could not do so. Even in the case of his tamil works they should have had high quality English or Hindi translations so someone like me could read them.

When I asked for something by Bharati in Hindi, the lady I spoke to produced a book and told me that this book is not in tamil. Is it in Hindi? It was not in Hindi, but may have been in Kannada or Telugu because the script looked like the script of a Dravidian language.

i see a jealous soul who is not a part of an ancient literary tradition and its riches when i see you writing about topics like tamil and bhArathi.  you desperately want to learn and explore more, but are stymied because of your lack of knowledge of tamil and the alienness of dravidian languages. there is a simple solution to this. put in some effort and learn tamil, and you too can explore a rich indian heritage that is not available in your own native language.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

i see a jealous soul who is not a part of an ancient literary tradition and its riches when i see you writing about topics like tamil and bhArathi.  you desperately want to learn and explore more, but are stymied because of your lack of knowledge of tamil and the alienness of dravidian languages. there is a simple solution to this. put in some effort and learn tamil, and you too can explore a rich indian heritage that is not available in your own native language.

Will I not get more bang for the buck by learning Sanskrit ?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:36 pm

i am really enjoying watching this. ca. 25 minutes the woman is narrating an incident where a professor of tamil origin wrote a letter to the herald tribune (echoing some of the things that have been said on SUCH very recently) that was published from calcutta back in the day saying that he prefers to teach history in english rather tamil because tamil lacks the vocabulary to talk about history. bhArathi seized on this and ripped the poor man apart. he asks, in a village where people are only familiar with a loincloth and not with silk vEshtis and angavastrams, is it fair to say that it is the shortcoming of the language that there are no words for vEshtis and angavastrams? his point? you bring new knowledge in, and the vocabulary will be automatically invented.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Will I not get more bang for the buck by learning Sanskrit ?

not if your goal is to learn more about tamilians and tamil literature.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:50 pm

kaNNan en sEvagan -- one of the things about bhArathi's kaNNan pAttu (verses on lord krishna) is the many ways in which he pictured krishna. others have done it too, but bhArathi thought of unusual relationships - kaNNan as his manservant (sEvagan), as his lover (kadali) and so on. great conversation...
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:24 pm

I cannot view this from work and I log in using my phone, I cannot see anything as well. wonder why.

anyway, is this a YouTube link? I guess I have to wait until I get home to figure out what it is.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down