Synthesis in the great state of Andhra Pradesh: Ikshvakus  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Synthesis in the great state of Andhra Pradesh: Ikshvakus

2 posters

Go down

Synthesis in the great state of Andhra Pradesh: Ikshvakus  Empty Synthesis in the great state of Andhra Pradesh: Ikshvakus

Post by Guest Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:27 pm

In an earlier post my good friend Vakavaka wrote:

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Rashmun:  If you are interested in Telugu history, read about Satavahanas, Ikshvakus, Pallavas, Kakatiyas, Vijayanagara, Bobbili, Palnadu, Kondaveedu, etc.

---
I have been following his advice. It is true that with the exception of Vijayanagar I didn't  know anything about the other dynasties he mentions. But I have been rectifying this of late.

Something peculiar caught my eye when I was reading about the Ikshvakus. One of the kings of this dynasty had in the second century CE married a woman from Ujjain ( in present day Madhya Pradesh) who was an ethnic persian. It is also interesting to note that almost all the wives of this particular king were Budhists even though the Ikshvaku rulers were hindus. I would like to ask Vakavaka and other telugus whether the Ikshvaku rulers would permit their Budhist wives ( and also wives belonging to other religions) to practice their own religion even after marriage.

Back to top Go down

Synthesis in the great state of Andhra Pradesh: Ikshvakus  Empty Re: Synthesis in the great state of Andhra Pradesh: Ikshvakus

Post by Guest Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:31 pm

Actually my question applies to other Telugu rulers as well. I would like to compare the Telugu rulers with the Mughal Emperor Akbar who permitted his wives to follow the religion they were born into. So for instance Akbar's Hindu wives would follow hinduism and his Budhist wives would follow budhism and so on.

Back to top Go down

Synthesis in the great state of Andhra Pradesh: Ikshvakus  Empty Re: Synthesis in the great state of Andhra Pradesh: Ikshvakus

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Persians of those days were like Hindus in India in their cultural habits. So, marrying a Persian woman wasn't considered unusual. Inter-marriage of Buddhists/Hindus/Jains was also not unusual. The cultures were quite similar. 

Asoka, for example, on his edicts, advised people to protect Brahmanas and cows!

It wasn't like a synthesis between H and M (which is like a cow going on a date with a donkey). 

Read about Pallavas :-).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:17 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Read about Pallavas :-).

a fun way of learning a bit of the pallava history:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1477549684/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

i can't vouch for the english translation above, but the original novel in tamil is a magnum opus with an enormous arc of history and has withstood the test of time. it details some of the battles between the pallavas and chalukyas. in the usual kalki historical fiction style, it takes the known facts and fills in fiction where the facts are less clear. there is also a bit of a greek style romantic tragedy (in fact some of the story is taken from helen of troy).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down