An accounting/business question...  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An accounting/business question...

3 posters

Go down

An accounting/business question...  Empty An accounting/business question...

Post by FluteHolder Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:14 pm

http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/13-6213516/american-civil-liberties-union-foundation.aspx

I was looking at financials of the ACLU thru this charity watch website. And as per the info given below, their expense exceeds their revenue. So how are they managing or surviving? Or it is a technical way to 'fix' the books to show they are running 'red'?

Total Revenue  $64,046,363
Total Expenses  $96,935,793

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

An accounting/business question...  Empty Re: An accounting/business question...

Post by FluteHolder Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:17 pm

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

An accounting/business question...  Empty Re: An accounting/business question...

Post by tapori Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:43 pm

This means charity is running in to deficit and needs more funding. To fund deficit they might have been using accumulated surplus from past or borrowings or reserves.

tapori

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:00 pm

FluteHolder wrote:http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/13-6213516/american-civil-liberties-union-foundation.aspx

I was looking at financials of the ACLU thru this charity watch website. And as per the info given below, their expense exceeds their revenue. So how are they managing or surviving? Or it is a technical way to 'fix' the books to show they are running 'red'?

Total Revenue  $64,046,363
Total Expenses  $96,935,793

>>>Short answer: accumulated earnings from prior years. If this were a for-profit entity, that would be 'retained earnings' and will be in the Capital section of the Balance Sheet. I don't know if the term is the same for non-profits. I am also surprised by the term Revenue, which is standard-usage for 'for profit' entities.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:09 pm

As per some definition, the accumulated surplus is the fund resulting in the undistributed earnings and profits from a corporation or company that is in excess of its capital stock.
 How does a non-profit have accumulated surplus, borrowings or reserves?

The total revenue should include/give a snapshot of total income/donations/money received?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:48 pm

FluteHolder wrote:As per some definition, the accumulated surplus is the fund resulting in the undistributed earnings and profits from a corporation or company that is in excess of its capital stock.
 How does a non-profit have accumulated surplus, borrowings or reserves?

>>Ok, maybe 'accumulated surplus'  is the term used for non-profits. I am rusty on this terminology -- too many years. The accumulation could have come from previous donations, unspent grant monies etc. I don't know what the sources are of their 'revenue' line item. I am guessing.  Think of the accumulation as profits not spent in the case of a regular corporation. Only in this case, the 'profits' are not from selling products  less costs and expenses, but donations less operating expenses.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down