Regionalism gone berserk: West Bengal renamed to Paschimbanga - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regionalism gone berserk: West Bengal renamed to Paschimbanga

+6
doofus_maximus
Impedimenta
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
charvaka
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Regionalism gone berserk: West Bengal renamed to Paschimbanga - Page 2 Empty Re: Regionalism gone berserk: West Bengal renamed to Paschimbanga

Post by charvaka Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:After all the shrill huffing and puffing about why changing the name of West Bengal to Paschimbanga was appropriate
Where did I argue that changing the name was appropriate? You are the one who created this thread calling the name change "regionalism gone berserk." Then I just pointed out that by your logic, renaming United Provinces to Uttar Pradesh should be "regionalism gone berskerk" too.

Refer to this post, and now start spinning:

https://such.forumotion.com/t2792-regionalism-gone-berserk-west-bengal-renamed-to-paschimbanga#24186
I take it that you have no proof of my "shrill huffing and puffing about why the name change was appropriate." Thanks for playing.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Regionalism gone berserk: West Bengal renamed to Paschimbanga - Page 2 Empty Re: Regionalism gone berserk: West Bengal renamed to Paschimbanga

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:25 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:After all the shrill huffing and puffing about why changing the name of West Bengal to Paschimbanga was appropriate
Where did I argue that changing the name was appropriate? You are the one who created this thread calling the name change "regionalism gone berserk." Then I just pointed out that by your logic, renaming United Provinces to Uttar Pradesh should be "regionalism gone berskerk" too.

Refer to this post, and now start spinning:

https://such.forumotion.com/t2792-regionalism-gone-berserk-west-bengal-renamed-to-paschimbanga#24186
I take it that you have no proof of my "shrill huffing and puffing about why the name change was appropriate." Thanks for playing.

please tell me that you were not huffing and puffing when you wrote the following:

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:My response to this is that Bengal has been known as Bengal for
centuries. It is referred to as Bengal in medieval and modern
literature...

All irrelevant. If Uttar Pradesh is not a regional name, I don't
know what is! If you want to fight regionalism, please get the name of
your state changed.

https://such.forumotion.com/t2792-regionalism-gone-berserk-west-bengal-renamed-to-paschimbanga#24130

My point that Bengal has been known as Bengal for centuries and is referred to as Bengal in medieval and modern literature implies that i am against doing away with the word 'Bengal'. This point--which you considered irrelevant--was actually considered relevant by many Bengali intellectuals and commoners. Let me quote from the news articles:

-------

Even those who can speak Bengali will have to figure out who they are:
Bengalis, Bongolis or Poschimbongolis? If the word “Bengal” itself will
not be allowed to exist, how can a derivative like “Bengali” survive
without an existential crisis?...

What the proposal threatens to do is dump the English name and bruise a
mass of population that has given Calcutta its cosmopolitan character
and made Bengal the antithesis of identity politics played in some
states.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110820/jsp/frontpage/story_14401045.jsp

The people of Bengal -
intellectuals to commoners - are aghast at the choice. Intellectuals
like Gautam Ghose, Sunil Ganguly, Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay and Buddhadeb
Guha were shocked. There may be a debate on other names but Paschimbanga
is not acceptable, they said. Feedback from TOI's readers, for
instance, was overwhelmingly in favour of Bengal.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/West-Bengal-to-become-Paschimbanga-But-paschim-of-what/articleshow/9667461.cms

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:please tell me that you were not huffing and puffing when you wrote the following:
I wasn't.

PS: Copy-pasting large amounts of text from previous posts or from random news stories does not necessarily a good argument make.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:31 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:please tell me that you were not huffing and puffing when you wrote the following:
I wasn't.

PS: Copy-pasting large amounts of text from previous posts or from random news stories does not necessarily a good argument make.

The point is that you said 'All irrelevant' to my reasonable argument about not doing away with the word 'Bengal'. This argument is accepted by many commoners and intellectuals in Bengal as per the two news article extracts (and links) i gave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:
The point is that you said 'All irrelevant' to my reasonable argument about not doing away with the word 'Bengal'. This argument is accepted by many commoners and intellectuals in Bengal as per the two news article extracts (and links) i gave.

Please don't cry. Maulana Merlot supports you unconditionally as the most intelligent on this forum, if not in this world..... Very Happy

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:24 am

i don't think there is anything that smacks of regionalism in changing WB's name to poschimobongo. and there was nothing wrong in changing Bombay to Mumbai and Poona to Pune. on a related note,

1) when are they changing Delhi to Dilli?
2) What will the number plates in poschimobongo have - PB or WB? PB is taken by punjab, isn't it?

bongo bongo bongo
paschim bongo
jo bhi maango
bongo bongo bongo

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:43 am

Another Brick wrote: changing WB's name to poschimobongo

this is the problem with the name change. it is paschimbanga pronounce poschimbongo. even governor m k narayan pronounced it as it is written in english the day before. i don't think this name change is final but chances are that it will stay. i don't think puducherry, uttarakhand, chattisgarh or chennai have this problem.

edit. someone told me vanga means baigan in marathi. so it's west baigan. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Another Brick wrote: changing WB's name to poschimobongo
edit. someone told me vanga means baigan in marathi. so it's west baigan. Shocked

yes, vanga in marathi means baigan. why poschimo? will the future gen ask "udi baba, bhere is purab bongo?"

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:07 am

Another Brick wrote:why poschimo? will the future gen ask "udi baba, bhere is purab bongo?"

paschimbanga defies logic in the absence of a puraba bengal, yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:41 am

actually you can contrast this with kolkata. kolkata, mercifully, is not spelt as kalkata.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2