Any left handers in your family? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any left handers in your family?

+4
seven
Seva Lamberdar
indophile
goodcitizn
8 posters

Go down

Any left handers in your family? Empty Any left handers in your family?

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:09 pm

Surprisingly I have not come across any left handers in my family. I wonder if it is due to conditioning in India. A few months ago while I was at a wedding function in India I noticed a mother constantly correcting her four or five year old daughter to use her right hand while she was eating with a spoon. I have observed teachers correcting kids to use their right hand when learning to write in kindergarten. I wonder why this is.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Any left handers in your family? Empty Re: Any left handers in your family?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 pm

My brother is a left hander. When little, my mom forced him to use his right hand. we learn now that it's not the right thing to do. I don't know how my poor brother trained himself to use his right hand. Being a right hander, i can't imagine doing that with my left hand. He eats and writes with right hand, but when it comes to doing heavy tasks like lifting something heavy or bowling (he was a fine left hand bowler), he still uses left hand. Left still remains his dominant hand (though he eats and writes with right).

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Kinnera wrote:My brother is a left hander. When little, my mom forced him to use his right hand. we learn now that it's not the right thing to do. I don't know how my poor brother trained himself to use his right hand. Being a right hander, i can't imagine doing that with my left hand. He eats and writes with right hand, but when it comes to doing heavy tasks like lifting something heavy or bowling (he was a fine left hand bowler), he still uses left hand. Left still remains his dominant hand (though he eats and writes with right).

That's interesting. Has he ever practiced writing with his left hand?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:33 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Kinnera wrote:My brother is a left hander. When little, my mom forced him to use his right hand. we learn now that it's not the right thing to do. I don't know how my poor brother trained himself to use his right hand. Being a right hander, i can't imagine doing that with my left hand. He eats and writes with right hand, but when it comes to doing heavy tasks like lifting something heavy or bowling (he was a fine left hand bowler), he still uses left hand. Left still remains his dominant hand (though he eats and writes with right).

No. Every time he tried to switch to writing (or eating) with his left, mom forced him to write with right. It was a struggle for both mom and son. It started very early. Mom was very persistent. I feel so sorry for my brother. Now he tells my mom, 'you shouldn't have done that'. No one knew any better at the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:48 pm

a few of my cousins are lefties. dad, mom, other oldies were on this right away in the family, didn't let anyone force any kid to change their hand.

In the next generation, my nephew is a pure leftie. Son is ambidextrous and inconsistent but he is still in the process of developing a dominant hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:a few of my cousins are lefties. dad, mom, other oldies were on this right away in the family, didn't let anyone force any kid to change their hand.

In the next generation, my nephew is a pure leftie. Son is ambidextrous and inconsistent but he is still in the process of developing a dominant hand.

When your son throws a ball which hand does he use to throw the farthest?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Kinnera wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

No. Every time he tried to switch to writing (or eating) with his left, mom forced him to write with right. It was a struggle for both mom and son. It started very early. Mom was very persistent. I feel so sorry for my brother. Now he tells my mom, 'you shouldn't have done that'. No one knew any better at the time.

Is this a cultural conditioning or is it religious like some shastra forbidding the use of left hand? Seva or Vakavaka might shed some light.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:33 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:a few of my cousins are lefties. dad, mom, other oldies were on this right away in the family, didn't let anyone force any kid to change their hand.

for picking up and throwing a ball his natural bent is to go with left hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:43 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Is this a cultural conditioning or is it religious like some shastra forbidding the use of left hand? Seva or Vakavaka might shed some light.
Why research shastras. Even the Latin word for "left" is "sinister" (as opposed to "dexter" for right). As for shastras, I don't know much, but I do know that the ritual of animal sacrifices, alcoholic naivedyas, and other non-satvic forms of worship to Devi is known as "vaama-aachaara" (left handed worship or practice). So in many cultures the word "left" carries a stigma.

Last edited by indophile on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:44 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Surprisingly I have not come across any left handers in my family. I wonder if it is due to conditioning in India. A few months ago while I was at a wedding function in India I noticed a mother constantly correcting her four or five year old daughter to use her right hand while she was eating with a spoon. I have observed teachers correcting kids to use their right hand when learning to write in kindergarten. I wonder why this is.

Yes, my youngest brother. During his childhood, the entire family (including myself, the eldest among 5 brothers and a sister) tried our best to correct his left-handedness, making him often cry. But, whenever left to himself, he would always start using his left hand for eating and writing etc., instead of the right hand.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Seems like a left hander to me. His dominant hand is obviously the left.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:51 pm

My friend is left handed. She eats with her right hand but when it comes to cutting vegetables and putting mehendi, she uses left hand. Her son is a leftie too. He's 3.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:52 pm

indophile wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Why research shastras. Even the Latin word for "left" is "sinister" (as opposed to "dexter" for right). As for shastras, I don't know much, but I do know that the ritual of animal sacrifices, alcoholic naivedyas, and other non-satvic forms of worship to Devi is known as "vaama-aachaara" (left handed worship or practice). So in many cultures the word "left" carries a stigma.
The wiki on "vaamaachaara."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vamachara

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:54 pm

In India they teach you to eat with right hand n that's how leftie kids learn to use right hand that way. My Maths teachers daughter was left handed too. She wrote using left batting also left don't remember bowling but no one objects to that I think. Only particular about eating.

I'm eating lunch.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:54 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Hindu Shastra does not seem to forbid the use of left hand in doing important tasks. In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna uses a word / phrase (I am forgetting it now -- I will post it later) for Arjuna as being ambidextrous (able to do archery etc. equally well with both hands, right and left), which clearly indicates that there was no taboo in using the left hand according to the Shastras.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:55 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Ya his first choice of hand has always been left. but he writes with right hand. batted with right when he was into baseball, and back then threw with right too. used to eat with both hands, but now eats with left, when with hand. but I think for spoon/fork he still uses right, will check again today. Actually lately I have stopped taking notes. Only when someone new comes do we all realize it. Guess with time it will all fall in place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:00 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Cultural stigma. when you hand over something to someone or receive something from someone, it always has to be with the right hand. It's rude to use the left hand in india. Same with doing any religious rituals. You use your right, not left.
You wash you butt with left hand in india. So you don't use the same hand for eating, doing puja, giving or receiving stuff, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Rudeness aside, lefties are OOTB thinkers. I red smwhere, they don't live as long as right handed people on an average. Wonder why.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Cultural stigma. when you hand over something to someone or receive something from someone, it always has to be with the right hand. It's rude to use the left hand in india. Same with doing any religious rituals. You use your right, not left.
You wash you butt with left hand in india. So you don't use the same hand for eating, doing puja, giving or receiving stuff, etc.

Very true.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:13 pm

seven wrote:Rudeness aside, lefties are OOTB thinkers. I red smwhere, they don't live as long as right handed people on an average. Wonder why.

LOL! I seriously doubt that being left handed shortens one's life. There is also this belief that all polar bears are left handed. Smile

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:17 pm

seven wrote:Rudeness aside, lefties are OOTB thinkers. I red smwhere, they don't live as long as right handed people on an average. Wonder why.

That ("a short life for the lefties") may just be an excuse to make the lefties switch to right hand during childhood and later, and nothing else (in terms of the real basis). Btw I personally feel bad now for trying long ago (about 50 yrs. ago) to force my youngest brother to become right-handed.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:17 pm

I switch hands once in a while for novelty. makes me feel like I am seeing a mistress on the sly

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 pm

indophile wrote:
indophile wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

The wiki on "vaamaachaara."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vamachara

Interesting link. Never knew about this before, Indo.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:26 pm

I think all ancient religions are icky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I think all ancient religions are icky.
do you consider the latest / modern religions not icky, and which ones (not icky)?

Last edited by Seva Lamberdar on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:30 pm

I have seen right handers bat left handed. Curiously Tendulkar bowls and bats right handed yet signs autographs with his left hand.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm

None in my family. My cousin's son used to do things left handed, but he was "corrected".

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Ya his first choice of hand has always been left. but he writes with right hand. batted with right when he was into baseball, and back then threw with right too. used to eat with both hands, but now eats with left, when with hand. but I think for spoon/fork he still uses right, will check again today. Actually lately I have stopped taking notes. Only when someone new comes do we all realize it. Guess with time it will all fall in place.

just came home and the 4 of us ran through a checklist.

throwing smaller balls - right hand
basketball dribble, pass and shoot - left hand
kicking (soccer) - left foot
eat with hand, burrito, etc - left hand
eat with spoon/soup/daal - right hand
write - right hand

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

just came home and the 4 of us ran through a checklist.

throwing smaller balls - right hand
basketball dribble, pass and shoot - left hand
kicking (soccer) - left foot
eat with hand, burrito, etc - left hand
eat with spoon/soup/daal - right hand
write - right hand

Most likely he is a leftie.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:13 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Surprisingly I have not come across any left handers in my family. I wonder if it is due to conditioning in India. A few months ago while I was at a wedding function in India I noticed a mother constantly correcting her four or five year old daughter to use her right hand while she was eating with a spoon. I have observed teachers correcting kids to use their right hand when learning to write in kindergarten. I wonder why this is.

>>>I was a victim of this. I remember being pressured to switch to my right hand while playing. It must have been when I was 6 or 7. My neighbor taught me how to spin the top with my right hand and the results were mixed. Whenever I tried to go back to being a leftie, he told me that I needed to change. He was the same age as me.  My younger brother escaped. He used to bowl with his left arm. Even now, when he claps hands, he moves his left hand but keeps the right stationery. It is very noticeable. I have a cousin who is left handed pretty much across the board. I heard my mother vexing over it once. It was something along the lines of "they really need to something about it, before she gets married". My mother thought the girl's future in-laws would not take kindly to it. It is just cultural conditioning.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>I was a victim of this. I remember being pressured to switch to my right hand while playing. It must have been when I was 6 or 7. My neighbor taught me how to spin the top with my right hand and the results were mixed. Whenever I tried to go back to being a leftie, he told me that I needed to change. He was the same age as me.  My younger brother escaped. He used to bowl with his left arm. Even now, when he claps hands, he moves his left hand but keeps the right stationery. It is very noticeable. I have a cousin who is left handed pretty much across the board. I heard my mother vexing over it once. It was something along the lines of "they really need to something about it, before she gets married". My mother thought the girl's future in-laws would not take kindly to it. It is just cultural conditioning.

Good thing the conversion didn't affect you. Now that you brought it up, I do remember one of the girls in our neighborhood in Madurai being teased for being a lefty (nottaangachi) who will run crying and eventually settled on being right handed. Yes, the future in-laws thing was also a reason. BTW an interesting tidbit is that both the sons of our mutual friend in Chennai are left handed when nobody else in the family is. I don't think it is hereditary, is it?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:36 pm

isn't it an advantage to be a southpaw, esp in sports? three people in my close circle are left-handers and none of them were forced to change.  they all hold the pen in a weird fashion!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:41 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Now that you brought it up, I do remember one of the girls in our neighborhood in Madurai being teased for being a lefty (nottaangachi) who will run crying and eventually settled on being right handed.
Ya, in telugu they get teased as 'thonti cheyyi' or 'yedama cheyyi vaatam'. I don't know if Suryakantham (the evil mother-in-law in movies) acts in tamil. She's a lefty. Observe her shaking hand while talking or hitting her DIL. It's with her left hand. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Kinnera wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Now that you brought it up, I do remember one of the girls in our neighborhood in Madurai being teased for being a lefty (nottaangachi) who will run crying and eventually settled on being right handed.
Ya, in telugu they get teased as 'thonti cheyyi' or 'yedama cheyyi vaatam'. I don't know if Suryakantham (the evil mother-in-law in movies) acts in tamil. She's a lefty. Observe her shaking hand while talking or hitting her DIL. It's with her left hand. Smile

What do these telugu terms translate to? No, I don't know that actress.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:05 pm

bw wrote:isn't it an advantage to be a southpaw, esp in sports? three people in my close circle are left-handers and none of them were forced to change.  they all hold the pen in a weird fashion!

I know in boxing southpaws pose a problem.

Lefties do hold the pen weird in order to write (wrist on top). Wonder if it would be easier for them to write arabic - right to left.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:34 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:isn't it an advantage to be a southpaw, esp in sports? three people in my close circle are left-handers and none of them were forced to change.  they all hold the pen in a weird fashion!

Lefties do hold the pen weird in order to write (wrist on top). Wonder if it would be easier for them to write arabic - right to left.
>>>This is one of the first things I noticed in this country. In fact, it may have been at customs at JFK. Later, saw many classmates do this. It took me awhile to figure out the right bias was not that strong here which is why I was seeing so many left-handers here. My current boss signs and writes with both hands.

P.S. Will touch bases with you when i go to India next. I would like to look up our friend. Still remember the lunch at the boat club which he treated me to and his accomplished, yet down-to earth friends.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

>>>This is one of the first things I noticed in this country. In fact, it may have been at customs at JFK. Later, saw many classmates do this. It took me awhile to figure out the right bias was not that strong here which is why I was seeing so many left-handers here. My current boss signs and writes with both hands.

P.S. Will touch bases with you when i go to India next. I would like to look up our friend. Still remember the lunch at the boat club which he treated me to and his accomplished, yet down-to earth friends.

Let's talk before you leave. I'll be leaving for Bangalore early January and plan to be there till March.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:49 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Let's talk before you leave. I'll be leaving for Bangalore early January and plan to be there till March.
>>>Ok. I need to spend some time there one of these years to do a tour of thanjavur, kollidam etc. Have a vague recollection from childhood. Next time around probably just in madras to take care of some personal business matters

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:32 am

"Hindu Shastra does not seem to forbid the use of left hand in doing important tasks. In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna uses a word / phrase (I am forgetting it now -- I will post it later) for Arjuna as being ambidextrous (able to do archery etc. equally well with both hands, right and left), which clearly indicates that there was no taboo in using the left hand according to the Shastras." .  Seva Lamberdar

>>> The word used by Krishna admiringly for Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita (Ch. 11 - V. 33) is "savyasaachin" (meaning ambidextrous, able to do things competently with the left hand as with the right hand). Incidentally, even Adi Sankara more than thirteen centuries ago translates "savyasaashin" in the positive sense in his commentary on the Bhagavad Gita (Bhashya), implying that the use of the left hand to do important tasks in India / Hinduism did not have negative connotations. Moreover, the idols of some important deities in the temples etc. are shown to carry weapons etc., even Vedas sometimes, in the left hand, which again indicates that the main Hindu Shastra does not consider the use of left hand in the negative sense.

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:"Hindu Shastra does not seem to forbid the use of left hand in doing important tasks. In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna uses a word / phrase (I am forgetting it now -- I will post it later) for Arjuna as being ambidextrous (able to do archery etc. equally well with both hands, right and left), which clearly indicates that there was no taboo in using the left hand according to the Shastras." .  Seva Lamberdar

>>> The word used by Krishna admiringly for Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita (Ch. 11 - V. 33) is "savyasaachin" (meaning ambidextrous, able to do things competently with the left hand as with the right hand). Incidentally, even Adi Sankara more than thirteen centuries ago translates "savyasaashin" in the positive sense in his commentary on the Bhagavad Gita (Bhashya), implying that the use of the left hand to do important tasks in India / Hinduism did not have negative connotations. Moreover, the idols of some important deities in the temples etc. are shown to carry weapons etc., even Vedas sometimes, in the left hand, which again indicates that the main Hindu Shastra does not consider the use of left hand in the negative sense.

I should think so particularly when many gods and goddesses are portrayed having numerous hands!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down