kamban's sUrpanakai Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kamban's sUrpanakai

5 posters

Go down

kamban's sUrpanakai Empty kamban's sUrpanakai

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:14 pm

there are some beautiful passages in the KR about sUrpanakai's lust for rAmA, but this one stands out:

வான் தனில் வரைந்தது ஓர்
மாதர் ஓவியம்
போன்றனள், நின்றனள்,
புழுங்கும் நெஞ்சினள்,
தோன்றல்தன் சுடர் மணித்
தோளில் நாட்டங்கள்
ஊன்றினள், பறிக்க ஓர்
ஊற்றம் பெற்றிலள்.

it's fairly easy to parse without a commentary, the following translation/commentary is by prof. george hart:

Like a picture of a woman sketched against the sky,she stood there

with her heart on fire, her sight fastened to the shining

handsome shoulders of the hero and she could not manage

the strength to pull her eyes free from that vision.

more later tonight.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

kamban's sUrpanakai Empty Re: kamban's sUrpanakai

Post by Impedimenta Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:14 pm

beautiful! sensual and strong. Would be so amazing to showcase Kambhan's surpanakhai in BN. I will bring this up with my teacher. Too late for this year but possible for next.

interesting how Kambhan and Valmiki differed in their characterization of surpanakhai, Valmiki writes that she approaches Rama in her demonic form while kambhan portrays her as changing her form into a beautiful maiden before approaching Rama. His reaction is the same, however :-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 pm

this is the verse that i first thought of when sUrpanakhai was mentioned in the other thread, but i had forgotten the text and had to look it up and the meaning from another website.  the sandham in this song is just fantastic. just reading it out loud gives a sense of a beautiful but lusty woman.

பஞ்சிஒளிர் விஞ்சுகுளிர் பல்லவம் அனுங்கச்
செஞ்செவிய கஞ்சம்நிகர் சீறடியள் ஆகி
அஞ்சொலிள மஞ்ஞைஎன அன்னம்என மின்னும்
வஞ்சிஎன நஞ்சம்என வஞ்சமகள் வந்தாள்.

meaning: soorpanakai - she who had feet that made tender shining cotton shoots jealous, she who had feet like a lotus flower, of sweet speech, grace of a beautiful peacock, like a swan, like the beautiful vanji creeper (a type of plant found in southern india), she of a venom-like nature came walking in.

so yeah, kamban definitely treated her kindly. but the juxtaposition of great physical beauty (most of the poem) with a mention of a poisonous personal character (just the last two words; slam!) is just fantastic.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this is the verse that i first thought of when sUrpanakhai was mentioned in the other thread, but i had forgotten the text and had to look it up and the meaning from another website.  the sandham in this song is just fantastic. just reading it out loud gives a sense of a beautiful but lusty woman.

meaning: soorpanakai - she who had feet that made tender shining cotton shoots jealous, she who had feet like a lotus flower, of sweet speech, grace of a beautiful peacock, like a swan, like the beautiful vanji creeper (a type of plant found in southern india), she of a venom-like nature came walking in.

so yeah, kamban definitely treated her kindly. but the juxtaposition of great physical beauty (most of the poem) with a mention of a poisonous personal character (just the last two words; slam!) is just fantastic.

the image i have of surpanaka(i) is what i have seen in amar chitra katha comics. so hard to relate to this peacock, swan, lotus comparisons. bah! surpanakai shall remain a gundu mami for me.

"so yeah"? Rolling Eyes

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:26 am

so yeah, you didn't know that the official language of SUCH is american teenagese?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:00 pm

kamban's sUrpanakai Imag0110

kamban's sUrpanakai Imag0111
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:15 pm

ah, memories!

the first image is what i imagine surpanaka(i) as. also, my mother used to tell me stories from ramayana, mahabaratha etc. she probably used valmiki's version as her source and she too had described surpanaka(i) as a rakshasi who looked fat, ugly and menacing.

whenever i encounter fat, nasty women, i mentally call them a "surpanaka(i)".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:24 pm

if the story is all one wants, by all means read valmiki. one reads kamban for imagery, kickass sandham, and for acquainting oneself with one of the two greatest tamil poets who ever lived.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this is the verse that i first thought of when sUrpanakhai was mentioned in the other thread, but i had forgotten the text and had to look it up and the meaning from another website.  the sandham in this song is just fantastic. just reading it out loud gives a sense of a beautiful but lusty woman.

the sandham in this goes danka-taka, danka-taka, danka-taka, danka, just like a dapankUthu song.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:32 pm

bw wrote:ah, memories!

the first image is what i imagine surpanaka(i) as. also, my mother used to tell me stories from ramayana, mahabaratha etc. she probably used valmiki's version as her source and she too had described surpanaka(i) as a rakshasi who looked fat, ugly and menacing.

>>(1)  If she could assume a beautiful form, why didn't she stick with it?

(2) Why is Rama divulging all this info to a stranger he just me?  Seems rather unwise-- information is always                        provided on a need-to-know basis, Rama.

P.S. The story I remember is about Rama cutting her nose off. Rama fighting with a girl-- don't know, makes him seem rather uncool.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Kris wrote:

(2) Why is Rama divulging all this info to a stranger he just me?  Seems rather unwise-- information is always                        provided on a need-to-know basis, Rama.

P.S. The story I remember is about Rama cutting her nose off. Rama fighting with a girl-- don't know, makes him seem rather uncool.

obviously, you haven't read your ACKs properly - wasn't it lakshman who cut her nose off?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:37 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

obviously, you haven't read your ACKs properly - wasn't it lakshman who cut her nose off?
>>>Who? The cartoonist?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Who? The cartoonist?

haha, the common man

kamban's sUrpanakai Common_man

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:52 am

maxai,

it's Surparnakha.... "kha", not "ka"... and she's not a dosai that you made a "kai" out of her too.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:maxai,

it's Surparnakha.... "kha", not "ka"... and she's not a dosai that you made a "kai" out of her too.

she is known as surpanakai, yes with the "ai" suffix in tamil. words including proper nouns transform as they get absorbed in other languages according to the syntactical rules of the target language. this has happened to christian names too as they were absorbed into european languages from the original aramaic. get used to it.

the original name for the hero of ramAyaNam is not ram as he is known in hindia, but rAmA. surpanakai is similar.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:maxai,

she is known as surpanakai, yes with the "ai" suffix in tamil. words including proper nouns transform as they get absorbed in other languages according to the syntactical rules of the target language. this has happened to christian names too as they were absorbed into european languages from the original aramaic. get used to it.

the original name for the hero of ramAyaNam is not ram as he is known in hindia, but rAmA.  surpanakai is similar.

btw sItA is sIthai in tamil.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum