I am a Hindu, says Leela Samson Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am a Hindu, says Leela Samson

Go down

I am a Hindu, says Leela Samson Empty I am a Hindu, says Leela Samson

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:05 pm

“By virtue of being a dancer, I am a Hindu in philosophy. Even my family has acknowledged that. It does not matter what people have to say about me,” said former Censor Board chairperson Leela Samson, in what was seen as a veiled reply to critics questioning her ‘religious biases’

Under fire from some sections for allegedly clearing the release of the movie PK, and halting the release of MSG, Ms. Samson came clear on the issue. “I have not watched PK or MSG. A panel of five members from cross sections of the society watch a movie and decide its certification. I do not know why MSG was not allowed to release. Even the revision committee said ‘no’ to the movie and it does not reflect on me.”
Having recently courted controversy for stepping down as chairperson of the Censor Board, the danseuse said she had tendered her resignation almost six months ago as her tenure was over. “Fact of the matter is, we were just hanging on [in] there and waiting for a new body to be constituted. As it had been a year since my term ended, I decided to resign.”

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/i-am-a-hindu-says-leela-samson/article6823925.ece

Back to top Go down

I am a Hindu, says Leela Samson Empty Re: I am a Hindu, says Leela Samson

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:45 pm

"Samson is known for her proximity to the Nehru-Gandhi political dynasty of the Indian National Congress,[4][5] as she was the dance tutor of Priyanka Vadra.[5][6] She was appointed as the director of Kalakshetra by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance in April 2005.[7][8] She was subsequently also appointed as the chairperson of the Sangeet Natak Akademi in August 2010[1][1][9] and as the chairperson of the Central Board of Film Certification (an autonomous body that censors and certifies films in India, including Bollywood movies) in April 2011.[6][10]
Samson's tenures at Kalakshetra, Sangeet Natak Akademi and the censor board were mired with many controversies amid allegations of corruption,[11] illegal appointments and arbitrary awarding of contracts,[12] financial irregularities,[13] and anti-Hindu bias.[14] It is alleged that corruption flourished in the censor board under her chairpersonship,[12] and the CEO of the CBFC himself was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation when board officials were caught red-handed accepting bribes on his behalf to clear a film for release.[15][16] Also, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India indicted her for the widespread corruption and rampant financial irregularities at Kalakshetra under her watch.[11][13][17][18] Subsequently, Samson had to apologize to the Madras High Court when pulled up for contempt of court due to an illegal construction activity at the Kalakshetra campus situated on prime property in Chennai.[19] Her stint at the censor board was equally controversial, with allegations that she deliberately passed movies designed to hurt Hindu sentiments, while demanding cuts or blocking the release of movies that affected Muslim or Christian audiences.[14][2"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leela_Samson

Back to top Go down