choose beautiful Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

choose beautiful

4 posters

Go down

choose beautiful Empty choose beautiful

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Back to top Go down

choose beautiful Empty Re: choose beautiful

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:31 pm

very interesting, the choice between 'beautiful' or 'average' door based on the self-image.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:17 pm

I would have picked beautiful door. I don't think all these women don't consider themselves beautiful. They are just trying to be modest n humble etc. based on what they think other ppl may think of their choice.

Upworthy.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:44 pm

is there door that says "piss off?"

dove makes chocolate nowadays, chocolate don't make nobody look beautiful.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:53 pm

sure it does...chocolate body wraps are not popular for nothin

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:59 am

size matters

www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/16/funny-or-die-dove-size-matters_n_7080296.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:59 am

I would've chosen 'average' coz I want to be modest. It's more a cultural thing (indian culture) than anything else. 

'average' doesn't seem like the right word. Maybe 'ok looking'?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:18 am

Kinnera wrote:I would've chosen 'average' coz I want to be modest. It's more a cultural thing (indian culture) than anything else. 

Addendum: Recently, i was telling my niece how beautiful she is and mom was signalling from the side to shut up. Later, she was like, 'Don't say that to her. It'll get to her head.' So yeah, most girls are not told that they are beautiful and it is not nice of them (girls and women) to say that they are beautiful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:22 am

Kinnera wrote:I would've chosen 'average' coz I want to be modest. It's more a cultural thing (indian culture) than anything else. 

Inspite of all the self-bashing posts I make here, I would have probably chosen the good looking one. When you have been raised by a "UP"ite parent (or co-habitated with enough UPites), the 'hum kisi se kam nahi' attitude has probably been beaten thick into you. Add to it a haryanvi side of family, and it gets obnoxiously worse lol. My dad's mom was a short, overweight, dark, and honestly-not-so-pretty woman, but she was sharp like a razor, and you should have seen her immense pride in herself and in her husband and children. People say she was so proud and demeaning that she earned a lot of serious curse from others and hence so many tragedies in the family. Mom boasts some women in her family were so drop-dead gorgeous that they created riots if they as much as showed up in events and showed their gorgeousness, in other words - raised their ghoonghat lol.  So anyway, doesn't matter what I think of myself in my weakest moments, seeing a door like that, I would most likely think of my mom's gaalis and would be too scared to walk through the average door lol. I still remember how both my parents had piled up on me when I didn't write 'with distinction' in my resume next to 'first division' for my undergrad degree, and didn't bold it out because I thought it was immodest at the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 am

of course, you are beautiful. There's not an iota of truth in your over exaggerated self deprecating posts.

I think it's important to tell girls that they are beautiful and no, it's not presumptuous of them to feel and say that they are. Your parents did the right job. 

I remember that as a girl, i wanted to make my mom tell me somehow that i am beautiful. so, i'd go, 'mom, you are so beautiful. i wish i got your looks.' What i expected from her was, 'you are beautiful too', but no. nvr did she say that. She would just pick up the first part of what i said, blush and then lecture me about how beauty is not important. Evil or Very Mad. A simple, 'you are beautiful' would've helped. It's important for a girl to have it come from her mother. they need some validation.

Pls tell your girls that they are beautiful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:42 am

Kinnera wrote:of course, you are beautiful. There's not an iota of truth in your over exaggerated self deprecating posts.

I think it's important to tell girls that they are beautiful and no, it's not presumptuous of them to feel and say that they are. Your parents did the right job. 

I remember that as a girl, i wanted make my mom tell me somehow that i am beautiful. so, i'd go, 'mom, you are so beautiful. i wish i got your looks.' What i expected from her was, 'you are beautiful too', but no. nvr did she say that. She would just pick up the first part of what i said, blush and then lecture me about how beauty is not important. Evil or Very Mad. A simple, 'you are beautiful' would've helped. It's important for a girl to have it come from her mother. they need some validation.

Pls tell your girls that they are beautiful.

My mom did that a lot, much more to my sis as she is really really pretty but sometimes had doubts coz of her darker skin tone. When sis was young and began experimenting with make up or buying good clothes, other elders would ask mom if it was a good idea, Indians in general against showing off and stuff. Mom would be like, 'let her be, she needs to feel good about herself, and if a little makeup or clothes help her with that, then it's all well and good. I want to have a self-confident girl, so let her find her own way to get it'. She had no issues with other things about sis, as sis was quite ambitious about her career and all.

Mom did the same kinda complimenting with me, but to the point that it would get embarrassing for me and I had to ask her to keep quiet, which in turn would make her mad. But in my case she would get all super loose clothes, given the dangerous stalkers I would bring home lol (small town issues). And she had to tell me to stop wearing short skirts to one of the coaching classes I used to go to. I would wear skirts only when going to the village, or always at home. In her words, I had the 'mast haathi ki chaal' and I don't realize it; my attitude in public attracted a lot of people, and if I wore tight clothes on top of that, then it would be more trouble than they already could not handle lol. At the same time, she would do a full verbal dhulai if I didn't get good grades, so there was a balance. She, being a typical Sagittarius, would be like, 'ok, don't study, you are pretty, so I will get you married at 18 (to an IAS officer no less), and then you can go and be a servant to your husband who will take advantage of your illiteracy'. She basically wanted both of us to have all the power in the world (kinda like she herself) so that no man could take advantage of us. Dad completely fully supported the same. He had other issues with women who were too stereotypically-feminine, but those stories for another day.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Kinnera wrote:of course, you are beautiful. There's not an iota of truth in your over exaggerated self deprecating posts.

There is a tamil saying, kaakkaikum than kunju pon kunju. Even a baby crow looks pretty to the crow.
Do you know any similar saying about (loyal)servants thinking that their mistresses are beautiful?

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:10 pm

Veeu wrote:

There is a tamil saying, kaakkaikum than kunju pon kunju. Even a baby crow looks pretty to the crow.
Do you know any similar saying about (loyal)servants thinking that their mistresses are beautiful?
How do you know how she looks like? You seem so agitated. Calm down. Talk normally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:29 pm

The very fact that they bring up this argument means you are a winner. They have no brain cells left to cut your arguments logically. This is how a bruised ego reacts. Changes handles and scratches. There is a Hindi saying for this, 'khisiyani billi khambha noche'. I welcome these comments with full pride. Wear them as medals.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:38 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Veeu wrote:

How do you know how she looks like?
Very simple. You know that kids quiz question where one tribe of people always tell the truth and the other tribe always lie and you have to ask a question involving both the tribes to get the answer?
In this case it is even simpler.It is the opposite of what the paithiyakkari servant says.
Kinnera wrote:You seem so agitated. Calm down. Talk normally.
Hahaha. Nice joke. Yesterday your mistress was so agitated that she was throwing all the french words showcasing her northindian heritage and upbringing. You were foaming so much at the mouth that I checked the calendar to see if puvarnami came early. Good joke anyway.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Veeu wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Veeu wrote:

How do you know how she looks like?
Very simple. You know that kids quiz question where one tribe of people always tell the truth and the other tribe always lie and you have to ask a question involving both the tribes to get the answer?
In this case it is even simpler.It is the opposite of what the paithiyakkari servant says.
Kinnera wrote:You seem so agitated. Calm down. Talk normally.
Hahaha. Nice joke. Yesterday your mistress was so agitated that she was throwing all the french words showcasing her northindian heritage and upbringing. You were foaming so much at the mouth that I checked the calendar to see if puvarnami came early. Good joke anyway.
Blabber away to glory!

gn!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down