a question on bharat natyam... - Page 3 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a question on bharat natyam...

+12
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Maria S
swapna
Kris
Appalamma
ashaNirasha
Seva Lamberdar
bw
truthbetold
FluteHolder
Vakavaka Pakapaka
southindian
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

a question on bharat natyam... - Page 3 Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:continuing the conversation from yesterday...

CM doesn't have an iota of departure from established practice, even of the kind i think would be acceptable to the establishment -- translating secular epics like the silappadikAram and manimEgalai into music. BN can take credit for doing this and in more recent years looking to modern novels (can't believe i am referring to a mid twentieth century novel as modern, but this is the mylapore establishment we are talking about!) like sivagAmiyin sabatham for source material.  this could easily be a first step in CM before exploring other kinds of more drastic heterodoxy, of the savitha sastry kind.

to be honest, CM was all around me in my youth, but i didn't pay much attention to it. i am sure it was because i always associated it with religion which at best only held marginal interest. it was only well into adulthood, in grad school of all places when i was seeking a connection to what i had left behind, that i learned to look past the themes themselves and learned to appreciate music for music's sake, when i truly fell in love with CM.  but i think the time is well past for some changes to become acceptable, but i am afraid departure from divinity as the source for inspiration will not be easy.  

then there is the view that it doesn't matter because music is pure sound, just like there is a view that dance is pure movement. but i find this unacceptable.  enjoyment of the poetry in composed vocal music is a good part of the pleasure of CM for me. it is ironic that as i've moved further and further away from religion, the compositions themselves never fail to move me. how can one not be moved by the total surrender and overflowing love resulting in melting poetry, even it is aimed at an abstruse entity!

and yes, the classic 'lead down the garden path', slipping into a self-violation; very tantalizing to resolve this. looks like that's what must have happened to one Muthiah, when he was commissioned by DK higher ups to study thamizh poetry and other works on Krishna and bring out stuff that they could exploit to ridicule religion and promote their atheist agenda; but then, we know what happened; it transformed Muthiah to KaNNadAsan.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... - Page 3 Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:03 pm

g_k -- it's possible you misunderstood me. i am not saying the divine has to be explicitly done away with on the concert stage, but it would be nice to add to it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:21 pm

bw wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
bw wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

As you can see from Maria's expert response on BN in the above, this particular dance / song (sorry, I can't find the English subtitles for lyrics) has several important BN features (among other things, the use of "naanam" and other facial / eyes related emotions by the dancer / singer). I was waiting for some person with the actual BN experience to put down the info. here, which Maria finally did and thanks to her for that.

oh, all you wanted was someone who has "actual" BN experience, as in 'learning' for a few years?  me me me! i qualify too and based on my years of learning (that too at the centre of this BN business), i declare that those two videos you posted have nothing to do with BN.  

by the way, am a more reliable expert on this.
There is a basic difference in your thinking on BN and my view of BN. You see BN only as that taught in the dance class (dance and song routines during learning initially, and nothing more). To me, BN not only includes those initial dances and songs in the learning class / stage, but also their applications later to create more complex numbers (songs / dances).

It looks like the real English for you probably means only the alphabet (letters "a" through "z", which you learnt in the beginning in the English class), whereas the words created by using those alphabet (letters "a" through "z") are not the true English according to you.

you are claiming all languages that use an alphabet are based on english just because english has an alphabet. incidentally, why did you choose BN and not kathak?

by the way, i wouldn't call these 'more complex' numbers. this is like saying a trashy novel that has a few lines from shakespeare is a 'complex' version of shakespeare.
Or, according to your narrow thinking about the BN, you might consider Shakespeare's works not as the real / true English literature because he went (wrote) beyond and above what used to exist before him in the English literature.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:g_k -- it's possible you misunderstood me. i am not saying the divine has to be explicitly done away with on the concert stage, but it would be nice to add to it.

apologies, max. what I meant did not come out right.  I think I understand what you mean. I suffer from the same condition!

Kalki's granddaughter Seetha Ravi, in one of her fictions has a character, a CM singer who is adored by all for the bhavam and the bakthi that he could effortlessly bring in all his concerts. The story is told from the eyes of a neighbour girl who grows through this, moves to US, returns after several years, finds the singer has passed away, his wife addressed as mAmi, living in the same place. She finds it strange that in mAmi's poojai room, her husband's picture is not present along with the various gods & goddesses'. When she asks the reason, the mAmi says that mAma wouldn't have liked it as he was an atheist.  The girl is shocked at first as it doesn't add up to her own and others perception of him.  Curiosity added to the disappointment, she asks mAmi how did she manage to tolerate him all their life together. mAmi replies calmly that she should have asked this question  the other way that how did he tolerate her - meaning her day-to-day expressions of devotion to the gods that could be annoying to the non-believer.

Of course this is fiction; I am not sure it is possible; nevertheless, this is one of my favorite stories.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:13 pm

g_k this is quite possible. although he hasn't said so explicitly i have a lurking suspicion that sanjay sub belongs in the category of the seetha ravi story. so also probably TMK.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:continuing the conversation from yesterday...

CM doesn't have an iota of departure from established practice, even of the kind i think would be acceptable to the establishment -- translating secular epics like the silappadikAram and manimEgalai into music. BN can take credit for doing this and in more recent years looking to modern novels (can't believe i am referring to a mid twentieth century novel as modern, but this is the mylapore establishment we are talking about!) like sivagAmiyin sabatham for source material.  this could easily be a first step in CM before exploring other kinds of more drastic heterodoxy, of the savitha sastry kind.

to be honest, CM was all around me in my youth, but i didn't pay much attention to it. i am sure it was because i always associated it with religion which at best only held marginal interest. it was only well into adulthood, in grad school of all places when i was seeking a connection to what i had left behind, that i learned to look past the themes themselves and learned to appreciate music for music's sake, when i truly fell in love with CM.  but i think the time is well past for some changes to become acceptable, but i am afraid departure from divinity as the source for inspiration will not be easy.  

then there is the view that it doesn't matter because music is pure sound, just like there is a view that dance is pure movement. but i find this unacceptable.  enjoyment of the poetry in composed vocal music is a good part of the pleasure of CM for me. it is ironic that as i've moved further and further away from religion, the compositions themselves never fail to move me. how can one not be moved by the total surrender and overflowing love resulting in melting poetry, even it is aimed at an abstruse entity!

a lot of the carnatic pieces are in telugu and sanskrit and it isn't really affected its enjoyment for a lot of people who probably don't understand most of the lyrics. i think the melodic aspect is much more dominant than the actual words in carnatic music.  the instrumental pieces or a powerful rendering of an alapanai can evoke the same emotions as the keertanai part.

that said, it will be a welcome addition to have pieces that aren't devotional. it should be pretty easy to adapt a poem that is not about divinity into a carnatic piece, i would think.

is chinnachiru kiLiye a devotional piece?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3