earthquake Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

earthquake

+3
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
7 posters

Go down

earthquake Empty earthquake

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:42 am

this was, by far, the most terrifying earthquake i have experienced in my life. it was 11 am, and, being saturday, i was at home on the 4th floor and seated on a diwan waiting for a guest. the building started rocking. that it was an earthquake, i reckoned, because i am no stranger to tremors in kolkata (kolkata is on a fault zone). but the rocking got wild! i could sense the building rock. it got crazy -- the whole building was swinging on a vertical axis and it was swinging wildly. i knew the right thing was to gather family and take the stairs to hit the street but i was immobilized by the sensation and just kept praying that it subsides. after 5 minutes it did -- but, by far, those were the most terrifying moments of my life.

Back to top Go down

earthquake Empty Re: earthquake

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 am

your turn.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:51 am

This earthquake happened in Northindia. Not a discussion for SuChers.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:07 pm

brie wrote:your turn.

Family of one Nepali friend is fine. Have to check with a few others. They all come from Kathmandu and hope their families are doing ok.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:18 pm

brie wrote:this was, by far, the most terrifying earthquake i have experienced in my life. it was 11 am, and, being saturday, i was at home on the 4th floor and seated on a diwan waiting for a guest. the building started rocking. that it was an earthquake, i reckoned, because i am no stranger to tremors in kolkata (kolkata is on a fault zone). but the rocking got wild! i could sense the building rock. it got crazy -- the whole building was swinging on a vertical axis and it was swinging wildly. i knew the right thing was to gather family and take the stairs to hit the street but i was immobilized by the sensation and just kept praying that it subsides. after 5 minutes it did -- but, by far, those were the most terrifying moments of my life.
That's a wrong thing, brie! Got to gather yourself up and get out of the house somehow, no? Did any of your family run out? Scary! I wonder how ppl in high rise buildings felt. I heard that there are no casualties reported in India. I hope it stays like that. Glad you and your family are fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:30 pm

More massive ones are expected, according to CNN. Be alert and prepared. Stay safe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:54 pm

glad u all are ok hk. Keep safe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:42 pm

Much of the casualty in earthquake is from debris falling on the people. People living in 2-3-30 floor structures are the most vulnerable - the larger the building (like the modern buildings in India and mega cities) the more dangerous and risky. If this happens - god forbid in Bombay, Delhi or Bangalore, and at night time, the devastation will be unimaginable.

The people in the slums and the poor people living in simple houses will be the safest.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:59 pm

brie,

Get yourself a good sleeping bag and just move into a tent parked in an open space away from tall buildings.

I made several friends when I went to Manasarovar/Mt Kailash through Khatmandu. I checked with the boss of the group that accompanied us to Tibet. He and his family are fine but he doesn't yet know how others are. They are very nice people. I hope they are ok.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:brie,

Get yourself a good sleeping bag and a down jacket and just move into a tent parked in an open space away from highrises.

I made several friends when I went to Manasarovar/Mt Kailash through Khatmandu. I checked with the boss of the group that accompanied us to Tibet. He and his family are fine but he doesn't yet know how others are. They are very nice people. I hope they are ok.

really ??? get from where ? dont tell him/her to order online....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:03 pm

southindian wrote:This earthquake happened in Northindia. Not a discussion for SuChers.

You are the only Bhaiyya who responded!!! Everyone else is a "Madrasi"!!!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:brie,

Get yourself a good sleeping bag and a down jacket and just move into a tent parked in an open space away from highrises.

really ??? get from where ?  dont tell him/her to order online....Razz

He can just take a blanket from the hotel and a "close" friend and they can both think of the blanket as the tent!!!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Brie, nice to learn that you and your family are safe after the earthquake tremors.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:15 pm

brie wrote:this was, by far, the most terrifying earthquake i have experienced in my life. it was 11 am, and, being saturday, i was at home on the 4th floor and seated on a diwan waiting for a guest. the building started rocking. that it was an earthquake, i reckoned, because i am no stranger to tremors in kolkata (kolkata is on a fault zone). but the rocking got wild! i could sense the building rock. it got crazy -- the whole building was swinging on a vertical axis and it was swinging wildly. i knew the right thing was to gather family and take the stairs to hit the street but i was immobilized by the sensation and just kept praying that it subsides. after 5 minutes it did -- but, by far, those were the most terrifying moments of my life.

it is unlikely that you were seated on a finance minister; you must mean divan.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:45 pm

Kinnera wrote:
That's a wrong thing, brie! Got to gather yourself up and get out of the house somehow, no? Did any of your family run out? Scary! I wonder how ppl in high rise buildings felt. I heard that there are no casualties reported in India. I hope it stays like that. Glad you and your family are fine.

If he got out of the house, Didi's goons will loot him and take over his house.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:13 pm

It was awesome! We felt it for too long. Very exciting. Everyone is fine n no damage to our house.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:58 pm

Kinnera wrote:

If he got out of the house, Didi's goons will loot him and take over his house.

LOL!

@kinns. no, the family stayed put. i have an office in the second floor -- the staff fled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:44 pm

>>>Glad you are safe. Make a plan for aftershocks. There quite likely will be a few. This was a major one and it is worrisome in places like Nepal where they don't have the infrastructure to handle it.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:13 am

Kris wrote:
>>>Glad you are safe. Make a plan for aftershocks. There quite likely will be a few. This was a major one and it is worrisome in places like Nepal where they don't have the infrastructure to handle it.

i am typing this and the building is convulsing. it is milder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:07 am

brie wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Usually there are minor tremors, but there may be some surprises. It is best to anticipate and be prepared. Our offices normally have a game plan for a worst case scenario, so we can be up and operational ASAP. In California, this is on everyone's mind because of the faults we are sitting on, including the San Andreas fault. Anyway, stay safe.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:17 am

Kris wrote:
brie wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Usually there are minor tremors, but there may be some surprises. It is best to anticipate and be prepared. Our offices normally have a game plan for a worst case scenario, so we can be up and operational ASAP. In California, this is on everyone's mind because of the faults we are sitting on, including the San Andreas fault. Anyway, stay safe.

true. as expected, this tremor was the result of a second earthquake that hit nepal today (actually many after shocks have been felt in nepal since yesterday but none so severe): http://www.firstpost.com/india/live-earthquake-aftershock-measuring-6-9-hits-nepal-fresh-tremors-felt-in-new-delhi-2212618.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:36 am

from today's telegraph (kolkata):

The epicentre of today's earthquake lies in one of the world's most active seismic zones, resulting from the collision of the Indian and Eurasian tectonic plates, where a period of quiescence had caused geologists to anticipate a big temblor.
The earthquake, assigned a magnitude of 7.9 by the India Meteorological Department, released energy equivalent to about 712 Hiroshima-class atomic bombs from that accumulated strain.
Such strain builds up as the Indian plate slips beneath Eurasia by about 45mm a year, lifting the Himalayas. Scientists say the earthquake's location, size and focal mechanism link the event to the main interface between the Indian and Eurasian plates.

In a summary report released today, the US Geological Survey said that while this major plate boundary has a history of large earthquakes, only four events of magnitude 6 or larger have occurred within 250km of today's earthquake over the past century. The largest was the magnitude 8.0 Bihar-Nepal event in 1934.
"A long period of quiescence implies there is plenty of accumulated strain waiting to be released," said Shyam Sunder Rai, professor of earth sciences at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune.
"The more the strain build-up, the bigger the anticipated event," he told The Telegraph.
While the risk of great earthquakes and high seismicity is believed focused near the front of the Himalayan range where the Indian plate slips beneath the mountains, an international team of scientists had last year identified a 63km-long earthquake rupture on a previously unrecognised fault in western Nepal.
Geologist Mike Taylor and his colleagues, who discovered the fault, had cautioned in the journal Nature Geoscience that their findings revealed "a potential seismic hazard within the interior" of the Himalayas that may "necessitate significant changes to seismic hazard assessments".
The geological implications of today's event on India will hinge on two factors: whether some of the energy released has added strain to the Kumaon-Garhwal region, and whether it has ruptured the Himalayan frontal fault, the main interface between the Indian plate and the Himalayas.
Geophysicists say earthquakes typically cause a sudden subterranean shift in the positioning of the continental plates, the relevant one in this instance being the Indian plate. The direction and magnitude of the energy released through the seismic waves would determine the long-term impacts in the region, they say.
"We would particularly like to know whether this has caused a rupture in the Himalayan frontal fault," said C.P. Rajendran, professor of geodynamics at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
Rajendran is among scientists who have been anticipating an earthquake of magnitude 8 somewhere within a 600km stretch of the Central Himalayas, between Kangra in Himachal Pradesh and the Bihar-Nepal border.
"If a rupture occurred along this Himalayan frontal fault, some of the accumulated energy we're worried about would have dissipated," Rajendran said.
Theoretically, that could push back the great earthquake anticipated by India along the region stretching from Kangra to northern Bihar.
However, Rai cautioned that the direction of energy transfer was critical.
"We're concerned that some of the energy released today may actually load some incremental strain in the Kumaon-Garhwal region of the Himalayas," Rai said.
"Then a big event that would have otherwise happened decades ahead may get advanced."
Rai, who was earlier at the National Geophysical Research Institute, Hyderabad, and his colleagues had observed that after a similar earthquake in Nepal about nine years ago, such an energy transfer appeared to trigger earthquakes in Chamoli in Uttarakhand.
"We had detected a spike in seismic activity near Chamoli within a day of the Nepal earthquake but the magnitudes of the earthquakes were low, between 3 and 4," Rai said.
Geologists worldwide are expected to begin analysing the data collected by the global network of earthquake-monitoring stations to determine the key features, including any subterranean deformations or ruptures, caused by the earthquake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:37 am

pakistan is on the iranian plate so was surprised to hear that it was felt there. i guess a part of it is still on the indian sub-con plate. it was felt in chennai.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:50 pm

brie wrote:pakistan is on the iranian plate so was surprised to hear that it was felt there. i guess a part of it is still on the indian sub-con plate. it was felt in chennai.

That was bcz JJ rolling in her bed.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:08 am

brie wrote:pakistan is on the iranian plate so was surprised to hear that it was felt there. i guess a part of it is still on the indian sub-con plate. it was felt in chennai.

That was bcz JJ rolling in her bed.

LOL!

forecast looks grim:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1150427/jsp/frontpage/story_16894.jsp#.VT3EDCGqqko

Not an aftershock but a quake: Professor
New Delhi, April 26: The earthquake that convulsed Nepal yesterday triggered dozens of aftershocks and a fresh quake today, implying what some scientists said is an eastward-moving subterranean instability whose pattern and outcome cannot be predicted.
Indian government seismologists documented more than 45 aftershocks today after yesterday's 7.9-magnitude earthquake, as well as a 6.9-magnitude earthquake 65km east of Kathmandu a little past noon. Yesterday's earthquake had its epicentre about 77km northwest of Kathmandu.
"Most (of the) aftershocks had magnitudes between 4 and 6," said Laxman Singh Rathore, director-general of the India Meteorological Department.

[size]
"They may continue for some time, with smaller magnitudes. We cannot predict how long they may last --- weeks, months or even years."
Since the primary earthquake, a 6.6-magnitude aftershock yesterday and the 6.9 earthquake today shook buildings and structures across several states in northern and eastern India.
Today's tremors from the 6.9 earthquake, which Calcutta felt eight seconds past 12.38pm, were over in 10 seconds; yesterday's shake from the primary quake had lasted a minute and a half.
Preliminary observations of the focal mechanism of yesterday's primary earthquake suggest that it occurred in what some scientists consider a "dangerous zone".
Its epicentre, about 15km under the ground, lies within what geologists call the Main Himalayan Thrust, the wedge-shaped section of the Indian plate that has slipped beneath the Tibetan plate as the Indian continental plate thrusts under the Eurasian plate at about 45mm per year.
"A primary event on the Main Himalayan Thrust is something that worries me," Sridevi Jade, a senior scientist at the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Centre for Fourth Paradigm Institute who has conducted extensive research in the Himalaya, told The Telegraph .
Today's earthquake, Jade said, suggests an eastward-moving instability.
Geophysicists are concerned that the primary earthquake, which released energy equivalent to 712 Hiroshima-class atomic bombs, may have transferred some of its energy elsewhere and destabilised the Main Himalayan Thrust, giving rise to the earthquake east of Kathmandu today.
"The 6.9 quake today is certainly not an aftershock," said Shyam Sunder Rai, professor of earth sciences at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune.
"Yesterday's main event and today's quake occurred in two completely different domains."
For earthquakes to be labelled "aftershocks", Rai said, they need to occur in the close vicinity of the primary epicentre and be linked to the same geological fault system.
But a US-based geologist cautioned that it might still be too early to say whether today's earthquake was an aftershock or a new event.
"The strict definition is that an aftershock should occur within the fault area that ruptured in the original earthquake," said Larry Ruff, a seismologist at the University of Michigan who has studied large earthquakes around the world.
"But we need to know the exact limits of the section of the original fault that broke --- and we don't know that for the Saturday earthquake yet."
Ruff is now trying to get the best estimate for the length of the rupture using seismic waves data.
According to Ruff, energy propagation after an earthquake is a phenomenon even mechanical engineers studying cracks in materials are familiar with. Stresses can build at the edge of the crack and such energy transfer may load tectonic strain at other sites along a fault.
The North Anatolian fault in Turkey is an example where an earthquake in the mid-20th century propagated energy elsewhere along the fault,[/size]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:50 am

Shocked Shocked

http://www.firstpost.com/world/nepal-is-not-the-big-one-next-himalayan-earthquake-maybe-closer-to-home-and-far-more-serious-2214286.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 12, 2015 2:16 am

and again today (5 mins ago). Shocked  news reports say epicentre afghanistan 6.9.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 12, 2015 2:36 am

brie wrote:and again today (5 mins ago). Shocked  news reports say epicentre afghanistan 6.9.
The USGS has pinpointed the epicentre of the quake 22 kilometres southeast of Zham in China, near the Nepal border. The magnitude of the quake has been clocked at 7.4 on the Richter scale.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down