drAvida vEda sAram Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drAvida vEda sAram

3 posters

Go down

drAvida vEda sAram Empty drAvida vEda sAram

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 09, 2015 8:08 am

visishtadvaitists consider the Azhwar pasurams, the nAlAyira divya prabhandams to be the thamizh vEdam, also known as drAvida vEda sAram. a nice attempt to set it to music. i would have preferred different voices than the bombay sisters, but nevertheless this attempt is not half bad....

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

drAvida vEda sAram Empty Re: drAvida vEda sAram

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat May 09, 2015 9:12 am

Calling Prabhandhas "Vedas" is a stretch.

In my view, Vaishnavism, Saivism, etc., are a blot on Hinduism. They brought down the stature of Hinduism from a lofty philosophical tradition to a fanatical, iSalamophilic dogma. In the South, Veera Saivism and Veera Vaishnavism are good examples of this. North India was no exception to this. They had their own BS. All these traditions brought a bad name to "Bhakti". In their attitudes toward other sects, they are not that different from Sunni, Catholic, Maoist, PolPotish, LTTE and DKhead jerks.

In reality, both Vishnu and Shiva were minor characters in Rig Veda. They became prominent during the "bhakti" era.

In a way, Madhva and Ramanuja paved the way for fanatical behaviour among some Hindus in the South.

True Hinduism stands for seeing universality in everything.

Hopefully, the youth of India will not embrace dogma and fanaticism (akin to Semitic faiths) but open their intellect to lofty philosophical thoughts that are at the core of Hinduism.

My 2-cents.

(Incidentally, the hymns you posted are beautiful to listen to.)

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 09, 2015 9:21 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Calling Prabhandhas "Vedas" is a stretch.

In my view, Vaishnavism, Saivism, etc., are a blot on Hinduism. They brought down the stature of Hinduism from a lofty philosophical tradition to a fanatical, iSalamophilic dogma. In the South, Veera Saivism and Veera Vaishnavism are good examples of this. North India was no exception to this. They had their own BS. All these traditions brought a bad name to "Bhakti". In their attitudes toward other sects, they are not that different from Sunni, Catholic, Maoist, PolPotish, LTTE and DKhead jerks.

In reality, both Vishnu and Shiva were minor characters in Rig Veda. They became prominent during the "bhakti" era.

In a way, Madhva and Ramanuja paved the way for fanatical behaviour among some Hindus in the South.

True Hinduism stands for seeing universality in everything.

Hopefully, the youth of India will not embrace dogma and fanaticism (akin to Semitic faiths) but open their intellect to lofty philosophical thoughts that are at the core of Hinduism.

My 2-cents.

(Incidentally, the hymns you posted are beautiful to listen to.)

VP -- i don't have an opinion one way or the other about the appropriateness of calling them vEdas.  i am just informing you of their status within the visishtadvaitic tradition.  

to me they are just melting and sublime poetry whose raw emotional appeal i have not encountered anywhere in the thamizh literary corpus.  even kamban the greatest of thamizh poets IMO was moved by them. i know poetry often doesn't translate well and it's difficult to convey a sense of their beauty across linguistic lines. i am 100% certain there is similar bhakti inspired poetry in telugu, so you'll know what i mean.

there was a period during the dravidian movement when the DKheads as you call them suppressed and minimized the importance of the pasurams and the thEvArams. for example they banned it from school textbooks. fortunately when m.g.ramachandran came to power, he reversed that decision and there was a section of the syllabus every year which included religious poetry from all traditions. that is where i first encountered these beautiful poems and they have stuck with me all my life.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 09, 2015 2:15 pm

I read that as Dravida Vada Smabhar....

I do have an opinion about it. It tastes better.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down