Colleges encourage students to take a gap year Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colleges encourage students to take a gap year

4 posters

Go down

Colleges encourage students to take a gap year Empty Colleges encourage students to take a gap year

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Now that Malia Obama is planning to take a gap year after high school and before starting college at Harvard University in 2017, some questions arise: What exactly do students do while on a gap year? What do colleges think of them?

The answers are: There are myriad options for students who have the resources to take a gap year — though they do not have to be expensive. And some colleges actually encourage admitted students to take a gap year — including Harvard.

What exactly is a gap year? Laura R. Hosid, an expert on gap years at the Vinik Educational Placement Services in Bethesda, told me in an interview some time ago that a “gap year typically describes a year off between high school and college.” They have long been popular in Britain and other countries, she said, but have been gaining popularity in this country, too, in recent years. They offer students with means “an opportunity to travel, explore different interests, and gain experience and maturity before beginning college.”

There are no solid statistics on how many students take gap years in the United States, according to the American Gap Association, but anecdotal evidence shows that students benefit significantly from taking time off. A study by the dean of admissions at Middlebury College found that the average GPA for Middlebury students who had taken a gap year was consistently higher than those who had not.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/05/01/why-harvard-encourages-students-to-take-a-gap-year-just-like-malia-obama-is-doing/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_rs-malia-1119am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Colleges encourage students to take a gap year Empty Re: Colleges encourage students to take a gap year

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Dont expect desi parents to allow their kids a gap year.

I know of one who took a year off after his BS from Yale - went on a 6 month research trip to Japan then backpacking in SE and elsewhere for another 6 months. Of course, he had a admission to Cornell med school. That was years ago.

BTW, he married a Japanese girl recently.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Colleges encourage students to take a gap year Empty Re: Colleges encourage students to take a gap year

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 01, 2016 4:39 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Dont expect desi parents to allow their kids a gap year.

I know of one who took a year off after his BS from Yale - went on a 6 month research trip to Japan then backpacking in SE and elsewhere for another 6 months. Of course, he had a admission to Cornell med school. That was years ago.

What's the big deal in taking a year off after bachelor's. By then, you are on your own anyway.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 01, 2016 4:49 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Dont expect desi parents to allow their kids a gap year.

What's the big deal in taking a year off after bachelor's. By then, you are on your own anyway.

Not really... At least at 22 they are more mature to travel around and not fall for unscrupulous influences.

Tell me what does a 18 yr old high schooler know about the world ? it will be like learning to swim in the middle of sharks.

Malia taking a year off does not necessarily mean she will roaming the streets of Africa with no bodyguards. She will be building her resume starting this or that organization to help the poor school dropouts in Nairobi or help with young pregnant teens in Chicago, etc..

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 01, 2016 8:33 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Now that Malia Obama is planning to take a gap year after high school and before starting college at Harvard University in 2017, some questions arise: What exactly do students do while on a gap year? What do colleges think of them?

The answers are: There are myriad options for students who have the resources to take a gap year — though they do not have to be expensive. And some colleges actually encourage admitted students to take a gap year — including Harvard.

What exactly is a gap year? Laura R. Hosid, an expert on gap years at the Vinik Educational Placement Services in Bethesda, told me in an interview some time ago that a “gap year typically describes a year off between high school and college.” They have long been popular in Britain and other countries, she said, but have been gaining popularity in this country, too, in recent years. They offer students with means “an opportunity to travel, explore different interests, and gain experience and maturity before beginning college.”

There are no solid statistics on how many students take gap years in the United States, according to the American Gap Association, but anecdotal evidence shows that students benefit significantly from taking time off. A study by the dean of admissions at Middlebury College found that the average GPA for Middlebury students who had taken a gap year was consistently higher than those who had not.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/05/01/why-harvard-encourages-students-to-take-a-gap-year-just-like-malia-obama-is-doing/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_rs-malia-1119am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory
>>>It could also mean that this kids who opt for this are the more focused ones to begin with and therefore, it may not be strictly a cause-effect relationship.  As a general rule, I am not sure what value this adds at 18. I can see value in a couple of years of work experience before grad school, especially business school, but pre-undergrad, I not sure. I know many Brits do it, but it seems to more a case of taking a break than any education enhancement measure.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun May 01, 2016 9:37 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

>>>It could also mean that this kids who opt for this are the more focused ones to begin with and therefore, it may not be strictly a cause-effect relationship.  As a general rule, I am not sure what value this adds at 18. I can see value in a couple of years of work experience before grad school, especially business school, but pre-undergrad, I not sure. I know many Brits do it, but it seems to more a case of taking a break than any education enhancement measure.

very true.. but they don't lose out in terms of time. relatively laidback but their efficient propaganda keeps them goin' .
I am reminded of Lara is the greatest batsman of all times is not just because he hit 400 but it was against ENGLAND, you see...hahahaha

Length of Time:  Perhaps the most important difference between the education system in the US, and the UK, is the amount of time it takes to finish your degree . Homework and Grades: Because the US system emphasizes breadth, courses require weekly or even biweekly readings as well as other assignments such as small writing projects, major research papers, and oral presentations throughout the course. In the UK, most schools are much more lecture-based, with only occasional assignments throughout the semester. In some cases, there may be no actual required assignments and instead your entire grade may be based on one final exam. In the US, your grade will be based on your performance on the variety of assignments, with a final exam making up only a percentage of your total grade.

although the US high school kids are more stressed out, a gap year before undergrad is a luxury and could even be counterproductive; summer vacation is long enough to unwind and get reinvigorated, IMO.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun May 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Blessed kid/lucky guy cheers

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 01, 2016 10:25 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

although the US high school kids are more stressed out, a gap year before undergrad is a luxury and could even be counterproductive; summer vacation is long enough to unwind and get reinvigorated, IMO.
>>>As in not wanting to go back to school at all. I am not sure this option should be given at all, considering you know everything when you turn 18:). I ran into a couple of these gap year Brit kids - a boyfriend and girl friend duo-in China. They were full of stories about their train journey from Europe through Russia, which included being the victims of theft. I am not sure what the real value added was.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Kris wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
>>>As in not wanting to go back to school at all. I am not sure this option should be given at all, considering you know everything when you turn 18:). I ran into a couple of these gap year Brit kids - a boyfriend and girl friend duo-in China. They were full of stories about their train journey from Europe through Russia, which included being the victims of theft. I am not sure what the real value added was.

Agree... If at all they are better off volunteering full time during the summer before college to get a sense of the real world. If they work, they tend to believe they are rich their $10/hr job (make it $15/hr). The kid not returning to college is a real possibility.

I have a cousin who finsihed high school this year (outside India) and wants to "work" for 2 years and try "trade school" after that as job market for degreed is not great (according to him). He is interested in "Cooking"

Holy Allah....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down