rashmun... Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rashmun...

2 posters

Go down

rashmun... Empty rashmun...

Post by swapna Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:29 am

...here's an a cappella song by penn masala that I thought you may enjoy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C746iyVfBjY

it seems to be a farewell gathering of the group. penn masala is a college group made up of full-time students of the university of pennsylvania, which about 25% might leave every year, because they graduate. they are, of course, replaced by new recruits.

the little, hand-held contraption that's seen clearly at the beginning, and is passed from one fella to another, I believe, represents the passing of the mantle. it appears to be the tiny, one-note harmonica that one of them plays for a second or two at the beginning of every song in order to anchor the entire group to a single, standard musical note.

I don't listen to the words, even if I understand the language; the music alone is enjoyable enough for me, especially if it's (a) vocal harmony or jazz.

swapna

Back to top Go down

rashmun... Empty Re: rashmun...

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:58 am

thanks. very interesting and very different. i wonder whether the singers have undergone any formal training in singing. one question: i thought a capella songs are songs sung without any accompanying music. but here i am hearing accompanying music throughout the song.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:52 am

whaaaaa...? if He says it, it must be right, na?

I believe, it appears that, apparently he may be right, it seems.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:08 am

Rashmun wrote:thanks. very interesting and very different. i wonder whether the singers have undergone any formal training in singing. one question: i thought a capella songs are songs sung without any accompanying music. but here i am hearing accompanying music throughout the song.
the group was formed in 1996, and have been singing and performing for twenty years. each generation trains the next. 

moreover, most of the members were born and raised in the u.s., and attended.school here, so many of them know music and composition theory. they need that to work out the harmonies (the blending of voices singing different notes simultaneously).

I'm fairly sure that there's not a single musical instrument being played when they perform. what you refer to as "music" is the accompanying vocal harmony produced by about ten voices. the rhythm, I think, is also created orally or sometimes by hands and palms.

here are still photographs of the group performing a mash-up of two unconnected songs, one english, and the other, hindi, on stage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y3MS2vdWENo

there's a lot of harmony and rhythm here. you'll hear borh if you deliberately ignore the single voice singing the melody, and focus your attention on the rest of what's going on. as far as I can see or hear, there's no musical instrument accompanying them.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:16 pm

swapna wrote:
Rashmun wrote:thanks. very interesting and very different. i wonder whether the singers have undergone any formal training in singing. one question: i thought a capella songs are songs sung without any accompanying music. but here i am hearing accompanying music throughout the song.
the group was formed in 1996, and have been singing and performing for twenty years. each generation trains the next. 

moreover, most of the members were born and raised in the u.s., and attended.school here, so many of them know music and composition theory. they need that to work out the harmonies (the blending of voices singing different notes simultaneously).

I'm fairly sure that there's not a single musical instrument being played when they perform. what you refer to as "music" is the accompanying vocal harmony produced by about ten voices. the rhythm, I think, is also created orally or sometimes by hands and palms.

here are still photographs of the group performing a mash-up of two unconnected songs, one english, and the other, hindi, on stage.

there's a lot of harmony and rhythm here. you'll hear borh if you deliberately ignore the single voice singing the melody, and focus your attention on the rest of what's going on. as far as I can see or hear, there's no musical instrument accompanying them.

rashmun... Ffb82b40-13d3-0133-50af-0ec273752cbd
rashmun... Giphy

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:45 am

garam_kuta wrote:
swapna wrote:

rashmun... Giphy

are these your colleagues from the psych wards of misericordia and bellevue hospitals of nyc? relatives, perhaps? and could that be the family rag? the well-known pavadai?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:23 am

swapna wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
swapna wrote:

rashmun... Giphy

are these your colleagues from the psych wards of misericordia and bellevue hospitals of nyc? relatives, perhaps? and could that be the family rag? the well-known pavadai?

tch, tch, tch...how vulgar err..., actually 'crass', ha hahaha, excuse me... hahahaha, 'crass' and 'perv' you can get dragging family and their dignity,  spewing toxic and distasteful verbal diahorrea on them, huh? no wonder they all escaped...knowing you, all this seems autobiographical; couldn't resist the 'rag' part, yeah? - your obsessive object of desire..
can't wait for full disclosure - NIH funding guaranteed Wink

btw, with all this, how should one rate you in the context of your views on 'northpeepals', huh?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down