Dravid to announce retirement Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dravid to announce retirement

3 posters

Go down

Dravid to announce retirement Empty Dravid to announce retirement

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:03 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/article2837372.ece

how much better this would have been for his legacy if Dravid would have retired just after the england series. anyways its good that he is announcing his retirement on his own.

Back to top Go down

Dravid to announce retirement Empty Re: Dravid to announce retirement

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Greg Chappell, during his term as Indian coach, warned that days like this were coming.

Chappell told fellow Indian selectors that they ignore youth at their peril and that if you let a generation of senior citizens grow old together they could all fall off the cliff at the same time.

And those warnings, all of which were ignored, were made four and five years ago.

Sometimes it seems brutal when a group of selectors tap an older player on the shoulder but it can actually do them a favor by rescuing them from their own misguided opinion of how much petrol they have in the tank.

It's just been heartbreaking for the fans of the gifted and universally admired Rahul Dravid to watch The Wall become The Bowling Pin this summer, so often have his stumps been rattled.

If Dravid ever returns to Australia as a television commentator - a role suited to his lucid skills - it will be interesting to ask him what he made of his final Australian tour.

It would surprise greatly if he did not confess it was one adventure too many.

Dravid deserves our respect but not our sympathy.

If you are brazen enough to step into the hell's kitchen of an Australian tour beyond your 39th birthday you must accept there is a chance it could end in humiliation.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/indians-need-4-0-whitewash-for-their-own-good/story-fn67w6pa-1226255671099

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm

sudip (Andromeda Galaxy")
10 mins ago (12:03 AM)
India needs Greg Chappell back as coach. He will behave strictly and will give the required left and rights to every mistakes. Players will forget go-karting, shopping, wives and party after receiving good doses! Fletcher is not strict enough to control the players.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournaments/india-in-australia/top-stories/Rahul-Dravid-likely-to-announce-retirement-shortly/articleshow/11652132.cms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Ravi (Mumbai)
27 mins ago (11:46 PM)
What about Tendulkar, Sehwag, Gambhir, Ishant Sharma, Zaheer Khan, Dhoni? Or how about the whole team itself? And what is VVS Laxman waiting for? Does he need a very very special kick on his backside to be kicked out of the team?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Rashu, I didn't read all of this. But am I getting a drift that you like the Chappal? Or is it the exact opposite?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:00 pm

i do like Chappell, but i think he made mistakes when he was the Indian coach. Particularly his falling out with tendulkar which he himself now regrets.

i am just enjoying bashing (and watching others bash) this useless Indian team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:05 pm

interesting article:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Specials/Cricket/India-vs-Australia-2011/Chunk-HT-UI-IndiaVSAustralia2011-TopStories/Whitewash-on-the-wall/SP-Article10-802676.aspx#disqus_thread

besides the non-performing players, the selectors (particularly the chief selector) need to be axed as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:35 pm

so rashmun, why this sudden interest in cricket? is ms.iyengar a cricket fan?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:the selectors (particularly the chief selector) need to be axed as well.

now that's something i can get behind whole heartedly. the most cowardly chief selector in memory.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:44 pm

i like supporting sub-continental teams. since we are going to be in rebuilding mode or end-of-test-cricket-as-we-know-it mode for a while, i think i'm going to get behind the pakistani team for now. they've got some gutsy players.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Dravid is making the right decision. India is not playing test cricket for seven months. Most of the tests after that are in India. He knew young batsmen can use that as an opportunity to build their skills. He is stepping aside to let new blood come in.

An honorable decision by Dravid.

Why now? I think even Dravid did not realize that age has caught up with him. He had his best year in a long time just before this series. He was surprised but was quick to realize what is good for Indian cricket.

Chappel was wrong five years ago. Sachin, Laxman and Dravid contributed several good years after chappel's comment.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:so rashmun, why this sudden interest in cricket? is ms.iyengar a cricket fan?

i have always had an intermittent interest in cricket. intermittently i follow india vs australia and india vs pak cricket matches.

I have also enjoyed reading some books on cricket. I think cricket is a game that lends itself well to descriptive writing. for instance, i recall one passage which went something like this (this is about C.B. Fry and Ranji):

they were more dreadful than hobbs and sutcliffe. or woodful and ponsford. or compton and edrich. at one end fry with couer de lion's broadcast. At the other end Ranji with black magic in his slim wrists which could cut a silk handkerchief into two with a flicker of the scimitar. If one failed the other was sure to score two hundred. if neither failed they scored the two hundred between them.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:23 pm

if you like reading cricket writing you might want to read ramachandra guha's history of indian cricket, a marvelous little book.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:if you like reading cricket writing you might want to read ramachandra guha's history of indian cricket, a marvelous little book.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:03 pm

End of an era in Indian cricket. Now there is no test batsman left to compel me to watch the game.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 pm

has he changed his mind about retiring?

http://sports.ndtv.com/ind-aus-2011/news/item/184638-dravids-retirement-is-just-a-rumour-team-india-manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down