Sober tomorrow  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sober tomorrow

3 posters

Go down

Sober tomorrow  Empty Sober tomorrow

Post by Guest Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:12 am

This joke is now making rounds in Hindi so I decided to google for the original Churchill quote. Turns out it probably wasn’t his or wasn’t his original 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/quoteinvestigator.com/2011/08/17/sober-tomorrow/amp/

The English raconteur Augustus John Cuthbert Hare kept a diary and the entry dated July 16, 1882 recounts an incident involving a member of the House of Parliament identified only by the initials A.B. [AJCH]:
The great A.B. was tremendously jostled the other day in going down to the House. A.B. didn’t like it. “Do you know who I am?” he said; “I am a Member of Parliament and I am Mr. A.B.” – “I don’t know about that,” said one of the roughs, “but I know that you’re a damned fool.” – “You’re drunk,” said A.B.; “you don’t know what you’re saying.” – “Well, perhaps I am rather drunk to-night,” said the man, “but I shall be sober to-morrow morning; but you’re a damned fool tonight, and you’ll be a damned fool to-morrow morning.
Churchill quotation expert Richard Langworth was told that the exchange with Braddock did occur in 1946 by a bodyguard who claimed that he was present. Family members are unconvinced. The vignette is included in “Churchill by Himself: The Definitive Collection of Quotations” [CHDQ]:
Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk, and what’s more you are disgustingly drunk.
Winston Churchill: Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.
In conclusion, this popular story has been told in various permutations for more than a century. QI believes that most of the retellings are fictional even the versions that purport to be non-fiction. If Churchill did deliver the famous rejoinder he was likely influenced by the long series of previous jokes involving members of the House of Commons.

Back to top Go down

Sober tomorrow  Empty Re: Sober tomorrow

Post by Kris Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:12 pm

The version I have heard is tighter. Churchill goes to a party, gets drunk and tells a woman she is ugly. She is outraged and says, “ Sir, I believe you are drunk!” His response, “but I will be sober in the morning’

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:44 pm

She may have been ugly but Churchill was a disgusting racist pig. Too bad the Americans who idolize him never knew this side of him.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:50 pm

A nice quip by Churchill I came across was "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down