Some remarkable attributes of Karnataka Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some remarkable attributes of Karnataka

5 posters

Go down

Some remarkable attributes of Karnataka Empty Some remarkable attributes of Karnataka

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:21 am

Karnataka is a remarkable state in many ways. It is linguistically very diverse. Languages spoken in this state include Kannada, Tulu,
Kodava, Havyaka, Sankethi, Iyengar Tamil, Konkani, Tribal languages of
its jungles, Hindi/Urdu/Hindustani, Sanskrit and English. It is also a state where both Hindustani as well as Carnatic music are promoted and followed with equal enthusiasm. Karnataka has produced some of the greatest Hindustani classical (sometimes called North Indian classical) musicians and singers including Mallikarjuna Mansur and Bhimsen Joshi.

----

In this post i also wish to point out two other interesting attributes of Karnataka.

It is the only Indian state i know of which has a village where almost everyone communicates in Sanskrit.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2005-08-13/india/27856220_1_sanskrit-vedic-scholar-kysar-khan

--------
Karnataka is also the only Indian state i know of which has a village called Charvaka (in Puttur district). Whether this village has any connection with the Charvaka philosophers and Charvaka philosophy is something worth investigating in my opinion. The possibility cannot be ruled out that some eminent Charvaka(s) in ancient or medieval India hailed from this village.

Back to top Go down

Some remarkable attributes of Karnataka Empty Re: Some remarkable attributes of Karnataka

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 am

I thought gults were friends until they stabbed my back/screwed sideways. same with tamils...they didnt respond to hero worship overtures too warmly. jai karanataka. you are now my knight in shining armor, object of cloying affection and shining beacon of integration. next in line: mallus.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Some remarkable attributes of Karnataka Empty Re: Some remarkable attributes of Karnataka

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:I thought gults were friends until they stabbed my back/screwed sideways. same with tamils...they didnt respond to hero worship overtures too warmly. jai karanataka. you are now my knight in shining armor, object of cloying affection and shining beacon of integration. next in line: mallus.

Propa, i have nothing against Tamils or Telugus. With respect to Tamils, i have consistently been praising Tamil icons like Subramanya Bharati. I happen to be a great fan of Bharati and have visited the museum in his honor located near Parathasarathi temple in Chennai.

With respect to Telugus i have shown the greatest respect to Telugu icons like Vemana.
Please recall the incident when Telangana protesters destroyed several statues of eminent personalities from coastal Andhra. Clearly i have not stooped to their level.

-------------
Hyderabad: The 'million march' conducted in
Hyderabad has damaged - and in some cases destroyed - 19 statues of
Andhra Pradesh's icons.

The protest took place yesterday and was called by groups who want
Andhra Pradesh to be bifurcated to create a new state for the Telangana
region.

32 statues along Tank Bund honoured poets, freedom fighters, and other
heroes. They were installed by popular leader NT Rama Rao 20 years ago.
11 statues were thrown into the Hussain Sagar Lake during yesterday's
protest. Some of the attackers were wearing masks of Mahatma Gandhi. In
the past, political groups from Telangana have complained that only
seven of the 32 statues were of leaders from their region.

"Today they destroyed their own culture. They are children of Telugu
mother but they destroyed the Telugu mother," said Lakshmi Parvati,
NTR's wife.

Bala Krishna, a civil service aspirant, cannot understand why the
politics of the Telangana debate has assaulted the statues that served
as an homage to culture.

"I am not associated with any party, I am an Indian and my identity is that I am Telugu and I feel bad about this," he said.

Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy has promised the statues will be restored.

The police says that the attack on the statues had been planned by the mob of 12,000 that descended on the city.

"Some hammers, sickles, ropes have been recovered. The equipment reveals
that it was all pre-planned," said Akun Sabharwal, Deputy Commissioner
of Police, Hyderabad Central Zone. He does not, however, have an
explanation for why the police was ill-prepared to counter the
offensive.

The "million march" organizers had invited 10 lakh people to pour into Hyderabad.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/million-march-hyderabads-prized-statues-wrecked-90934

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 am

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:I thought gults were friends until they stabbed my back/screwed sideways. same with tamils...they didnt respond to hero worship overtures too warmly. jai karanataka. you are now my knight in shining armor, object of cloying affection and shining beacon of integration. next in line: mallus.

Propa, i have nothing against Tamils or Telugus. With respect to Tamils, i have consistently been praising Tamil icons like Subramanya Bharati. I happen to be a great fan of Bharati and have visited the museum in his honor located near Parathasarathi temple in Chennai.

With respect to Telugus i have shown the greatest respect to Telugu icons like Vemana.
Please recall the incident when Telangana protesters destroyed several statues of eminent personalities from coastal Andhra. Clearly i have not stooped to their level.

-------------
Andhra Pradesh's icons.

region.

NTR's wife.

as an homage to culture.

"I am not associated with any party, I am an Indian and my identity is that I am Telugu and I feel bad about this," he said.

The police says that the attack on the statues had been planned by the mob of 12,000 that descended on the city.

offensive.

The "million march" organizers had invited 10 lakh people to pour into Hyderabad.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/million-march-hyderabads-prized-statues-wrecked-90934

It saddens me to note that even a statue of the great Telugu poet Vemana was destroyed by the pro-Telangana mob.

The protestors mercilessly uprooted the statues of even purely
religious people like Annamacharya, Vemana and Kshetrayya taking the
total number of destroyed to 17.

http://www.gulte.com/news/5281/Million-March---1yr--No-New-Statues-Yet

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 am

such charming disingenuousness! worthy of a phlegmy statue I say.

Rashmun wrote:

-------------
Andhra Pradesh's icons.

region.

NTR's wife.

as an homage to culture.

offensive.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:15 am

in several of my posts i have praised the poetry of the hindi poet kabir. in a recent post, i compare kabir with the telugu poet Vemana. i had written:

i had earlier read some writings (in translation) of the telugu poet
Vemana. Vemana attacks the caste system, meaningless rituals,
superstitions, and there is a certain rationalism and common sense which
pervades all his writings.

i have been reading the writings of
the hindi poet Kabir and i have to say there is an uncanny resemblance
between Kabir and Vemana based on what i have read so far. Kabir and
Vemana are so similar in their approach that i believe it would be
difficult to tell them apart in english translation.

https://such.forumotion.com/t5339-kabir-and-vemana

-------
Two years ago i compared Vemana to the French writer Voltaire who i have also praised in several of my posts.

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/philosophy/voltaire-and-vemana-129999.htm

Five years ago, i had written a Sulekha post in which i had given an extract from Vemana's writings. I am unable to give the link publicly since Charvaka had posted on that thread using his real name. Hence, my admiration for Vemana is not something i have recently picked up, but spans several years.

Compare my respectful attitude towards Vemana with the attitude of the pro-Telananga protesters who destroyed Vemana's statue.

Another thing to note: The pro-Telangana protesters destroyed the statue of the great Krishnadeva Raya but i have always been an admirer of this great king. Whenever i have written about Vijayanagar i have emphasized that its decline began after the death of Krishnadeva Raya.

-----
Hyderabad: Statues of 16
Telugu poets, writers and rulers were vandalised by Telangana protesters
during the 'million march' at Tank Bund here on Thursday.

The
protestors demolished some statues and threw them in Hussain Sagar Lake
and disfigured the others. The historic figures belonging to Andhra and
Rayalaseema region of Andhra Pradesh became the target.

The statues of famous Telugu poets Yerrapragada, Sri Sri, Gurram
Jashuva, Annamayya and Vemana, the famous king of Vijayanagar empire
Srikrishnadevaraya and social reformer Kandukuri Veeresalingam were
completely or partially damaged.

The mob also destroyed the platforms on which the statues were
installed and even removed plates carrying their names and brief
history.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Arun Sabarwal said a total of 16 statues were damaged.

The attackers also left long ropes around the necks of some statues and put up flags and banners of various parties.

It was in 1980s that the then chief minister N.T. Rama Rao had
installed the statues of 33 historical figures of Telugus on Tank Bund
along the lake to highlight the contributions they made for the growth
of Telugu language and culture.

http://www.sify.com/news/telangana-march-statues-of-telugu-personalities-damaged-news-national-ldkxufecejg.html

Propagandhi711 wrote:such charming disingenuousness! worthy of a phlegmy statue I say.

Rashmun wrote:

-------------
Andhra Pradesh's icons.

region.

NTR's wife.

as an homage to culture.

offensive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:19 am

in the interest of conserving ether, I shall refrain from reposting links where the OP posted thinly disguised racist bile by proxy, exposing himself as a garden variety bigot to everyone but himself. I dont have the time or energy to indulge in link posting duels.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:in the interest of conserving ether, I shall refrain from reposting links where the OP posted thinly disguised racist bile by proxy, exposing himself as a garden variety bigot to everyone but himself. I dont have the time or energy to indulge in link posting duels.

Propa, please admit the fact that i have been more respectful towards Telugu icons than the pro-Telangana protesters who destroyed the statues of Krishnadeva Raya and Vemana.

The fact that Telugus have of late been involved in disproportionately high numbers in incidents of visa related or academic or job placement related frauds; or the complaints of many Indians of telugus exhibiting cliquish behavior is a different matter. In making this criticism i repeatedly kept giving a quote of the hindi poet Kabir:

Nindak niyare rakhiye, Angan kuti chawai,
bin pani sabun bina, nirmal kare subhaiy

Keep your critics close to you, let their hut be in your courtyard,
That way you don’t need soap and water to cleanse your nature.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:exposing himself as a garden variety bigot to everyone but himself.
I think he recognizes it himself, but he's like the cat which thinks if it closes its eyes while drinking milk, nobody can see it do that. If he can delude himself that he is not a bigot, that is enough. But if "respect for Vemana" and "not destroying statues of Vemana and Krishnadevaraya" are the only evidence offered against one's being a bigot, even self-delusion may be difficult to accomplish. That explains the number of posts he made in response to himself.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:07 am

charvaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:exposing himself as a garden variety bigot to everyone but himself.
I think he recognizes it himself, but he's like the cat which thinks if it closes its eyes while drinking milk, nobody can see it do that. If he can delude himself that he is not a bigot, that is enough. But if "respect for Vemana" and "not destroying statues of Vemana and Krishnadevaraya" are the only evidence offered against one's being a bigot, even self-delusion may be difficult to accomplish. That explains the number of posts he made in response to himself.

the real bigot in my opinion is the person who failed to strongly slam his fellow Telangans for destroying the statues of great Andhra icons like Vemana and Krishnadeva Raya.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 am

Just when I thought I knew everything, I realize how little I know.

I confess... I know nothing, absolutey nothing and nothing about anything.

I am amazed at Rashmun's thorough knowledge about TN, Telgu, Kannad, and Keral.

Next "Rashmun and his two Hyderabadi co-passengers" and will focus on the relation between the Nizam and the Akbari rule.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Just when I thought I knew everything, I realize how little I know.

I confess... I know nothing, absolutey nothing and nothing about anything.

I am amazed at Rashmun's thorough knowledge about TN, Telgu, Kannad, and Keral.

Next "Rashmun and his two Hyderabadi co-passengers" and will focus on the relation between the Nizam and the Akbari rule.

Uppili, it is strange to find you on this thread considering that you recently posted that UPwalahs are lower than Tamil dogs.

https://such.forumotion.com/t5198-why-do-tamils-look-down-on-telugus#40966

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:16 pm

kannadigas ? did i say that right ?

i know a few

mild mannered people good lookers the ladies

overly religious

next rashmun tell us about Maharashtra
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:26 pm

chameli wrote:kannadigas ? did i say that right ?

i know a few

overly religious

NO (uttered with the deepest conviction).

P.S. for that you need to first prove that Maharashtra is part of Soudh India, which thinks Maharashtrians are Hindians.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:29 pm

chameli wrote:kannadigas ? did i say that right ?

i know a few

overly religious

i will do so soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:Karnataka has produced some of the greatest Hindustani classical (sometimes called North Indian classical) musicians and singers including Mallikarjuna Mansur and Bhimsen Joshi.

in all the years at sulekha when i've mentioned this very thing you showed little interest. why this sudden interest in kannadigas and music?

anyway since you mentioned mansur and i'm a HUGE fan of the man, here is a link to a thread from another era:

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/mallikarjun-mansur-1058669.htm
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:05 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Karnataka has produced some of the greatest Hindustani classical (sometimes called North Indian classical) musicians and singers including Mallikarjuna Mansur and Bhimsen Joshi.

in all the years at sulekha when i've mentioned this very thing you showed little interest. why this sudden interest in kannadigas and music?

anyway since you mentioned mansur and i'm a HUGE fan of the man, here is a link to a thread from another era:

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/mallikarjun-mansur-1058669.htm

----
This is my post which was written in response to your post--5 years ago:

Rashmun posted Re: [Amazingly Ignorant] North-South marriages on 5 yrs ago
Among the north indians i spoke to, it was admitted that mallikarjun mansur was the greatest modern exponent of north indian classical music to which i shall henceforth be referring to as hindustani music for this and for the other reasons u very rightly point out. I think mansur is from karnataka? but is bhimsen joshi a south indian though? Joshi appears to be a north indian surname.

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/north-south-marriages.htm

----

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Max, your 5 year old post is worth reposting here:

MaxEntropy_Man posted Re: [Amazingly Ignorant] North-South marriages on 5 yrs ago

my path to appreciation of ICM has been rather tortuous. i grew up with the strains of carnatic music (CM) all around me but didn't seek it actively. at first i thought that the reasons are that CM's appeal is primarily religious but it's not that (i'll have more to say about this later). then gradually i developed an appetite for it principally influenced by the thamizh cinema music director ilayaraja who utilized CM very heavily in his music. later, when i studied at IIT-B, i developed a deep appreciation for HM. i definitely think the aesthetics of HM are more easily accessible. the reasons in my opinion are that the complexity associated with CM are on a shorter temporal scale -- more rapid elaboration of swaras over a shorter rhythmic cycle and the more frequent and sustained use of semi-tones. by contrast, HM makes less frequent use of semi-tones and the swara variations per unit time are not as frenzied as CM. the difference in appeal for a beginner has more to do with this than that it is more religious (which it certainly is). many beginning listeners (including myself twenty years ago) find even instrumental CM harder to appreciate than instrumental HM, where the libretto plays a very secondary role. if you (or anybody else) seriously want to give CM a chance, i'd recommend listening to instrumental ragam, tanam, pallavis (RTPs). RTPs offer the most elaborate platforms to explore the nuances of CM and listening to an RTP by a violinist like lalgudi jayaraman, mandolin srinivas or flutist ramani can be great start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down