Taking on the 'Enforcer' was probably a mistake Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking on the 'Enforcer' was probably a mistake

Go down

Taking on the 'Enforcer' was probably a mistake Empty Taking on the 'Enforcer' was probably a mistake

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:27 am

Marty's career in the Church came to an abrupt end on 12 December 2004. The reasons for his departure are hotly disputed. He claims to have witnessed troubling abuse at a Scientology compound in Riverside, California. Several other recent defectors who were there at the time have publicly supported that version of events. However, the Church describes their claims as "blatant fabrications" which reveal him to be "an apostate and anti-religious hate-monger". Either way, he fled on a motorcycle, and has not been back since.

It's hard not to conclude, taking a long view of Marty's 27 years in Scientology, that his role in the Church made him uniquely suited to his current life outside it. "Marty was the guy who used to be the Church's enforcer. So when they go after him, he has the full knowledge of what their tricks are," Tony Ortega told me. "I mean, when the squirrel busters came to his home, he just sucked it up. In fact, I got the impression that he was almost enjoying it."

The men in strange outfits stayed in Ingleside for several months last year. Their modus operandi became simple: they'd walk to the edge of Marty's property line, and film there. Any subsequent confrontation would then be captured on tape. "Their endgame," says Marty, "was to get me prosecuted for assault."...

September 18th turned out to be the last day the squirrel busters ever appeared on Marty's doorstep. Maybe they had grown bored. Maybe their leaders realised that their presence was becoming counterproductive. They left town on 2 November, no less than 199 days after arriving. Since then, Marty has been blogging daily, running his "halfway house" and writing a memoir of his career in Scientology. He hopes to publish it later this year. "I've seen the Church from inside and out, over such a long period," he says. "It's made me realise that the best thing I can possibly do is to tell my story, warts and everything, and let people make up their own minds."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/scientologys-heretic-how-marty-rathbun-became-the-archenemy-of-l-ron-hubbard-devotees-7618944.html

Back to top Go down