American Politics and Gender Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Politics and Gender

3 posters

Go down

American Politics and Gender Empty American Politics and Gender

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:14 pm

It is really amazing to see how Gender is used in American Politics..not only are women way underrepresented in all elected offices, but the way women label themselves "conservative" and "liberal"..and start fighting with each other about "fundamental issues" which are important to ALL women is simply amazing..
Looks like this most recent tempest started with the a Democratic Consultant Hillary Rosen, who stated that "Ann Romney has not worked a day in her life"..and 90% of Americans including Michelle Obama jumping to the defense of Ann Romney (publicly anyway) and Ms. Rosen had to apologize:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/democratic_hilary_rosen_says_ann_romney_mitt_romney_war_on_women.html

*Obviously, women are absolutely entitled to their personal choices when it comes to career and family and have to respected. But, all of us working mothers..had to/have to deal with all the dilemmas/challenges when it comes balancing career and motherhood/family, and it's not easy!

But, it's odd (to me) when Mrs. Romney says "My career choice was to be a mother"..am I missing something?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/politics-15749652/ann-romney-my-career-choice-was-to-be-a-mother-28933557.html

*Wonder if a poor woman who has many children says "My career choice was to be a mother".."and I am just not going to work anymore"..will simply be on Govt. Assistance..will get the rousing response and ovation Mrs. Romney has recieved..

Or how about a Man saying in the 21st Century, "My career choice is to be a father"..would he receive the same support? I doubt it.

And finally, what are we telling girls/young women..is Motherhood really a "career"..or are they are two different dimensions-interconnected in one's life?

Interesting indeed!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

American Politics and Gender Empty Re: American Politics and Gender

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:59 pm

*The reality seems to be:

More Unmarried Couples Having Babies: CDC

http://news.yahoo.com/more-unmarried-couples-having-babies-cdc-130209558.html

This clearly adds - "Class" to Gender..if women are not married and don't even have the legal protection - to make the father of the children provider support..unless they belong to the upper class (as in the high end of upper class!), it makes it even more important than girls and young women are told- without any sugar coating- that a career/job outside the home is important- to support themselves and their children.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Maria S wrote:Wonder if a poor woman who has many children says "My career choice was to be a mother".."and I am just not going to work anymore"..will simply be on Govt. Assistance..will get the rousing response and ovation Mrs. Romney has recieved..
Haha, good point. Interesting indeed!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Smile

The double standards and hypocrisy in American politics- and Yes, I include the Obamas too who are all animated, and vigorously defending Ann Romney in public (behind closed doors- they are perhaps very happy!) As they say these days..Ms. Hillary Rosen has been thrown under the Bus..in this case- a Monster truck!

Obviously I have nothing against women who make the choice to adhere to traditional roles..but, everyone knows the reality..Mrs. Romney raising 5 children as hard as it may be, is not the same (in some levels) as Mrs. Smith- the single mother working in a minimum wage job with 5 children or Mrs. Smith2 who lives with 5 children in Housing Project in that "other" side of the city!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Maria S wrote:Obviously I have nothing against women who make the choice to adhere to traditional roles..but, everyone knows the reality..Mrs. Romney raising 5 children as hard as it may be, is not the same (in some levels) as Mrs. Smith- the single mother working in a minimum wage job with 5 children or Mrs. Smith2 who lives with 5 children in Housing Project in that "other" side of the city!
As her husband already told us, we shouldn't really worry about the very poor. They already have support systems... until his new budget plan written by Ryan guts them, that is.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 pm

charvaka wrote:
Maria S wrote:Wonder if a poor woman who has many children says "My career choice was to be a mother".."and I am just not going to work anymore"..will simply be on Govt. Assistance..will get the rousing response and ovation Mrs. Romney has recieved..
Haha, good point. Interesting indeed!

yeah excellent point.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Nice of you Carvaka- to say it was a good point!

Really nice (amazing) of you Max- to say it was an excellent point.

Before I get all carried away..

Good Night everyone!

and

thinking, breathing, and writing in Tamil..of course making myself happy..நல்ல, இனிய இரவு வணக்கம்!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down