surface by microsoft Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surface by microsoft

5 posters

Go down

surface by microsoft Empty surface by microsoft

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 am

LOL I just heard Conan say this is an "etch-a-sketch with a battery". On the forums, people were wondering how long till the Linux or Android ports come out. it seems that the stripped down version can't be ported. Good or bad, the OS is at the hardware level. It was designed that way, to increase security. The Pro version on the other hand, that's a standard x86 machine. I'm sure they'll be ports for that.

The keyboard looks mm mm good...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

surface by microsoft Empty Re: surface by microsoft

Post by artood2 Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:22 pm

did you buy your ipad3?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:22 pm

artood2 wrote:did you buy your ipad3?
No such thing as an iPad3!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
No such thing as an iPad3!

Yeah the ipad. I think you are correcting me for the second time on this one. I need not sip my kool-aid (apple flavor).
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

what's an ipad? :-)

PS: i may or may not have one.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:38 pm

The big question is, is there any value in the OS itself to the OS-maker? Apple and Microsoft seem to think so, while Google gives the OS away and open-sources it. Google seems to have won the smartphone wars (at least in terms of marketshare), but it will be interesting to watch who wins the table wars.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:04 pm

panini press wrote:The big question is, is there any value in the OS itself to the OS-maker? Apple and Microsoft seem to think so, while Google gives the OS away and open-sources it. Google seems to have won the smartphone wars (at least in terms of marketshare), but it will be interesting to watch who wins the table wars.

And that's why it's great news for Apple--and bad news for
Android--that, in the past year, Apple has clawed back a lot of share
versus Android.
In the past three months, Nielsen says, Apple has grabbed a 43% share of the smartphones sold in the U.S., versus a high-20s percentage a year ago.
surface by microsoft Us-smartphone-share
Nielsen
Android's
share has also increased versus a year ago--it still leads the market
with 48%--but Android's share gains appear to have stalled. Android's
"installed base," moreover--the percentage of the overall US smartphone
installed base, not just recent sales--is also 48%. (See chart at
right.)Apple's gains are the result of a few key factors, all of
which demonstrate that Apple learned a searing lesson from its failure
in the 1990s PC market:

• First, in the U.S, Apple has finally broadened distribution of the iPhone to Verizon and Sprint, instead of just selling through AT&T
  • Second, Apple introduced a "low-price" version of the iPhone--the 3GS--which gives price-conscious consumers an Apple alternative (lots of Android phones are cheap)
  • Third, Apple broadened its distribution channels to major retailers like Walmart, Amazon, and Best Buy, which has given it access to consumers it might not otherwise have reached
  • Fourth, and critically, Apple's products now cost the same as high-end alternatives, instead of selling at a "premium price."
    In the 1990s, Macs were always more expensive than PCs. Some Apple
    fanatics were willing to pay these high prices, but most normal people
    weren't. This contributed to Apple becoming a niche player.
Lastly, and also importantly, Apple is completely dominating the global tablet market, in which Android is basically nowhere (unless you count Amazon's Kindle Fire, but that's Android in name only.)

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-30/tech/31258390_1_tablet-market-smartphone-market-iphone#ixzz1yMFfGL8k

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:09 pm

I am waiting for the great glut Admin's reviews of the Galaxy S III.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:12 pm

My review of the GS3: very nice, but won't push me away from Razr MAXX because of the battery. If they had put in a big battery, I would have switched now. Moto will come out with Razr HD soon which may beat the GS3 on that front, while matching some of the GS3's other specs.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:39 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:The big question is, is there any value in the OS itself to the OS-maker? Apple and Microsoft seem to think so, while Google gives the OS away and open-sources it. Google seems to have won the smartphone wars (at least in terms of marketshare), but it will be interesting to watch who wins the table wars.

versus Android.

do u even freakin know what marketshare means? or you just copy paste stuff from 3/30 on the internet when u googled for android vs iphone?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/idc-q1-2012-world-smartphone-share/

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 pm

On a different note:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18529756
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

versus Android.

do u even freakin know what marketshare means? or you just copy paste stuff from 3/30 on the internet when u googled for android vs iphone?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/idc-q1-2012-world-smartphone-share/

my understanding is that according to the Nielsen report, 'in the past three months' 43% of the smartphones being sold in the U.S. have been manufactured by Apple as compared to a high-20s percentage a year ago. I put the words 'in the past three months' because the article i copy pasted was published on March 30,2012. The article's headline is '
Apple's iPhone Has Staged A Monster Comeback, Android Is Now Dead In The Water'.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-30/tech/31258390_1_tablet-market-smartphone-market-iphone

-------------------

versus Android.
In the past three months, Nielsen says, Apple has grabbed a 43% share of the smartphones sold in the U.S., versus a high-20s percentage a year ago.
surface by microsoft Us-smartphone-share
Nielsen
Android's
share has also increased versus a year ago--it still leads the market
with 48%--but Android's share gains appear to have stalled. Android's
"installed base," moreover--the percentage of the overall US smartphone
installed base, not just recent sales--is also 48%. (See chart at
right.)Apple's gains are the result of a few key factors, all of
which demonstrate that Apple learned a searing lesson from its failure
in the 1990s PC market:

• First, in the U.S, Apple has finally broadened distribution of the iPhone to Verizon and Sprint, instead of just selling through AT&T
  • Second, Apple introduced a "low-price" version of the iPhone--the 3GS--which gives price-conscious consumers an Apple alternative (lots of Android phones are cheap)
  • Third, Apple broadened its distribution channels to major retailers like Walmart, Amazon, and Best Buy, which has given it access to consumers it might not otherwise have reached
  • Fourth, and critically, Apple's products now cost the same as high-end alternatives, instead of selling at a "premium price."
    In the 1990s, Macs were always more expensive than PCs. Some Apple
    fanatics were willing to pay these high prices, but most normal people
    weren't. This contributed to Apple becoming a niche player.
Lastly, and also importantly, Apple is completely dominating the global tablet market, in which Android is basically nowhere (unless you count Amazon's Kindle Fire, but that's Android in name only.)

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-30/tech/31258390_1_tablet-market-smartphone-market-iphone#ixzz1yMFfGL8k

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:26 pm

not so fast...good thing you caveated it by marketshare but google doesnt even begin to make anything close to what apple makes from smart phones. even if you put together the money samsung/mot/lg/htc makes selling phones + whatever google makes it doesnt come close to what apple makes off the smart phones. that, my friend, is "winning the smartphone wars".

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down