"Legitimate Rape" Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Legitimate Rape"

+2
Idéfix
Maria S
6 posters

Go down

"Legitimate Rape" Empty "Legitimate Rape"

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:09 pm

what the what?

Republican Senate Nominee: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant

Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Akin said that even in the worst-case scenario — when the supposed natural protections against unwanted pregnancy fail — abortion should still not be a legal option for the rape victim.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/todd-akin-legitimate-rape.php?m=1

Back to top Go down

"Legitimate Rape" Empty Re: "Legitimate Rape"

Post by Maria S Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Everything is BAD about this.

If this does not wake up women to fight to preserve their legal reproductive rights-control over their own bodies in the USA, not sure, what will.

The man is an 1) Engineer, 2) Christian Minister 2) serves in the National Guard 4) US Congressman. Just scary.. *The doctors who apparently "provided this info to him"..are even more scary.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 pm

This is beyond ridiculous. It boggles the mind to think that there will be anti-choice women who will vote for Akin in November.

PS: I call them anti-choice because most of those voters are highly likely to support the death penalty -- they are not pro-life, just against a woman's right to choose whether to carry a baby to term, even when the pregnancy is a result of rape.

PPS: Now I understand why Claire McCaskill wanted to run against Akin. Hopefully women turn out against Akin in large numbers and send McCaskill back to Washington. Democratic control of the Senate may be secure if she wins.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:36 pm

According to link in first akin is leading claire m... by 7 to 8% . That is a sizable considefring that akin is the challenger. That says something about the electorate.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 pm

I have a lot of respect for Nate Silver who used to run fivethirtyeight.com and I have been following his analysis of polling trends for a couple of cycles now. His site is now a New York Times blog. Silver speculates that this may be Akin's macaca moment.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/akin-comments-could-swing-missouri-senate-race/?gwh=7FEB4BB0EDB426D28B7AD7D1F419598C
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 am

panini press wrote:I have a lot of respect for Nate Silver who used to run fivethirtyeight.com and I have been following his analysis of polling trends for a couple of cycles now. His site is now a New York Times blog. Silver speculates that this may be Akin's macaca moment.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/akin-comments-could-swing-missouri-senate-race/?gwh=7FEB4BB0EDB426D28B7AD7D1F419598C

Missouri is Ashcroft country - say no more. Starting from Cincinnati much of the region south of I-70 all the way to Grand Junction has the same IQ as the highway number.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:48 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
panini press wrote:I have a lot of respect for Nate Silver who used to run fivethirtyeight.com and I have been following his analysis of polling trends for a couple of cycles now. His site is now a New York Times blog. Silver speculates that this may be Akin's macaca moment.

Missouri is Ashcroft country - say no more. Starting from Cincinnati much of the region south of I-70 all the way to Grand Junction has the same IQ as the highway number.

why not say some more? not everyone in the world is a lateral thinking savant such as yourself that can make tangential connections rapid fire.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:02 am

I"m such a tubelight. It took me ages to even figure out what he was trying to mean by "legitimate rape".
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I"m such a tubelight. It took me ages to even figure out what he was trying to mean by "legitimate rape".

Well, this lady tries to explain, and since ..it's "all" so black and white- as she says!

http://www.upworthy.com/this-song-is-legitimately-the-best-thing-to-come-out-of-all-this-misogyny?g=2&c=upw1
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm

good one M, sharing it on FB.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Glad you like it N! She is delightful.

Kindly share!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Wow, she's done a fantastic job!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:57 pm

panini press wrote:Wow, she's done a fantastic job!

Yes Carvaka!

It's an excellent combo of creativity- humor with a message! She is the right messenger for this - young women (universally) can relate to her.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down