[Huzefa] Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Huzefa]

Go down

[Huzefa] Empty [Huzefa]

Post by Idéfix Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:23 pm

I saw the link you posted to Sevaji's blog on AIT and AMT. I think his description of AMT was critically flawed, in that he refers to Europe as the supposed original homeland of the Aryans. He then proceeds to dismiss the theory because the European homeland is indeed absurd. What I have read on the theory does not involve a homeland in Europe, but in Central Asia. It is easy to dismiss a theory if you misstate its basic claims.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

[Huzefa] Empty Re: [Huzefa]

Post by Guest Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:28 pm

yes. also, retracing migration by linguistic markers is fraught with risk as another poster has pointed out as a comment in seva's blog. romila thapar hypothesizes that the aryans had never seen an elephant so they called it hAthI because its trunk resembled a hAth. so they were probably central asian (this is ONE of her reasons). but these are tenuous connections. in hindi, the house lizard is called a chipkali, literally, camouflaging-flower-bud, because of its attribute to change colours. that does not mean hindi speakers are originally from a land where there were no house lizards. linguistic connections are useful only when used to support patterns established by archaeological or genetic markers -- not stand alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:38 pm

and now (as recent as a few weeks ago) it seems that proto-sanskrit or the mother of IE languages probably originated in anatolia or turkey and not the central steppes as originally thought. so the last word on "linguistic migration" has still not been said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 pm

and then charles allen makes a pretty compelling case that sanskrit could have evolved from the prakrits (which i am sure is not his hypothesis but a school of thought).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down