Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barfi!

4 posters

Go down

Barfi! Empty Barfi!

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:18 am

Just watched this movie on Netflix. An unusual Bollywood movie, set in Darjeeling and Kolkata. Priyanka Chopra did an excellent job in a difficult role -- I didn't even recognize her until the credits rolled. Ranbir Kapoor did an OK job, albeit not as convincing, in the title role. The movie started out real slow, and we considered calling it quits after 40 minutes or so. But we stayed with it, and it turned better. It tackles difficult subjects for Bollywood, but it does so with humor and imagination. The movie could have been a third shorter and better for it, and it felt a little like the director decided to cram into it every single idea he has dreamed of for his film since his boyhood days -- including slapstick scenes that feel like they are out of a Charlie Chaplin movie. The locations shown in the film are quite beautiful, particularly around Darjeeling. He even manages to turn the urban squalor of what looked like the slums near BBD Bagh to me into some stunning visuals. The film was India's official entry to the Academy Awards under the Foreign Film category. It did not receive a nomination however.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2082197/

Note for Hindians: Ileana D'Cruz, who was born in Mumbai, grew up in Goa and lives in Hyderabad, plays the narrator. She did not have prior knowledge of Duckini, and therefore had to be Hindi-prachared for the film. DBHPS played no known role in this pracharing.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Barfi! Empty Re: Barfi!

Post by bw Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 am

i bought this movie along with 'english vinglish' and 'oh my god'. i cdn't tolerate more than 5 minutes of either of those and didn't bother checking this one out.

maybe i will, now.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:25 am

panini press wrote:Note for Hindians: Ileana D'Cruz, who was born in Mumbai, grew up in Goa and lives in Hyderabad, plays the narrator. She did not have prior knowledge of Duckini, and therefore had to be Hindi-prachared for the film. DBHPS played no known role in this pracharing.

lol!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:30 am

bw wrote:i bought this movie along with 'english vinglish' and 'oh my god'. i cdn't tolerate more than 5 minutes of either of those and didn't bother checking this one out.

maybe i will, now.

Oh BW. How you've fallen. From the sublime of Emir Kastironuica to the ridiculous of Bollywood kitsch...So this is the root cause of your recent coarsening. Next thing we know, you'll be wolf-whistling and adam-teasing your way down that slippery slide to rapistry.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 am

bw wrote:i bought this movie along with 'english vinglish' and 'oh my god'. i cdn't tolerate more than 5 minutes of either of those and didn't bother checking this one out.

maybe i will, now.

>>>You could stand it 5 minutes?! Oh what a fall was there! Repeating the same experiment over and over again hoping for a different result, eh?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down