Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This day in history

+6
Idéfix
Hellsangel
southindian
Propagandhi711
Nila
nevada
10 posters

Go down

This day in history Empty This day in history

Post by nevada Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:42 pm

This day in history Gandhidead_1346297f

Did Gandhi have a premonition of death?

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/gandhiji-shot-dead-the-hindu-january-31-1948/article4358055.ece

“If I’m to die by the bullet of a mad man, I must do so smiling. God must be in my heart and on my lips. And if anything happens, you are not to shed a single tear.”— Gandhiji, January 28, 1948

(FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT)

Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, was shot at 5-12 p.m. to-day and he died fifteen minutes later. Gandhiji left his room in Birla House for the prayer meeting a few minutes after the conclusion of his talk with Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. He passed through the garden leaning on the shoulders of Ava Gandhi and Manu Gandhi, grand daughter-in-law and grand niece.

As he walked up the four steps leading to the prayer mandap, a young man, aged about 35, came before Gandhiji and, bending his body forward at a distance of less than two yards, offered pranam. Gandhiji returned the salute, when the young man remarked “You are late to-day for the prayer.” Gandhiji smiled and replied, “Yes, I am”; but just at that moment, the young man pulled out his revolver and rang out three shots from point-blank range, the bullets piercing the frail body of the great leader just below the heart and stomach. Immediately, Gandhiji collapsed; but Ava Gandhi and Manu Gandhi stuck to their place by his side and held him firmly. But that was the last of the Nation’s Father. It was then 5.12 p.m.

The last act Gandhiji did was to lift both his hands as a sign of prayer in the direction of the large gathering which had assembled for the prayer. Thereafter, he was speechless and the loss of blood, at his age and so soon after his fast, made death inevitable. He was beyond medical aid even from the start when shock had its effect. Lord Mountbatten and Cabinet Ministers, including Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and Maulana Abul Kalam Azad and others soon arrived. The Ministers present held consultations among themselves as to the future course of action.

THE FINAL MOMENTS

Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, who returned from Amritsar this afternoon, did not have an opportunity to meet Gandhiji. Pandit Nehru came out to address the huge gathering of nearly two lakhs which had surrounded Birla House, but broke down with grief more than once when he spoke. The leaders, including Pandit Nehru, who were present, were dazed and perplexed, while tears overflowed down the cheeks of countless women and men both inside and outside Birla House. The grief-struck crowd, which went on swelling in numbers, were making their way into the main building to have a last glimpse of the departed leader. Glass windows were broken. But the crowd restrained itself and leaders soon made arrangements to let the crowd see Mahatma Gandhi.

Assassin beaten by crowd

The assassin, soon after he fired the shots, was seized by the people who had come to attend the prayer. His revolver — a six-chambered one — and some cash were recovered. It appears he was beaten by the crowd and was slightly injured. The police have taken him into custody and investigation is proceeding. It is learnt that the name of the assassin is Nathuram Vinayak Godse (aged 36), a Mahratta. He described himself as the Editor of a daily paper called Hindu Rashtra published in Laxmipet, Poona.

He wore khaki pants and tunic. There is no truth in the report that he attempted to commit suicide by putting a bullet into himself.

nevada

Back to top Go down

This day in history Empty Re: This day in history

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm

I thought it was 30th Jan...we used to have a 2 min silence session at 11am sharp. everywhere. in schools, colleges, offices, hospitals. nationwide i thought.

these leaders truly loved our country and we should ve had them with us a little longer Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:40 pm

seven wrote:I thought it was 30th Jan...we used to have a 2 min silence session at 11am sharp. everywhere. in schools, colleges, offices, hospitals. nationwide i thought.

these leaders truly loved our country and we should ve had them with us a little longer Sad

It's amazing how perceptions change with time. Change is only constant and ironically some deep rooted religious beliefs and leadership attributes and political systems aren't changing.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Sasthi wrote:
seven wrote:I thought it was 30th Jan...we used to have a 2 min silence session at 11am sharp. everywhere. in schools, colleges, offices, hospitals. nationwide i thought.

It's amazing how perceptions change with time. Change is only constant and ironically some deep rooted religious beliefs and leadership attributes and political systems aren't changing.

this is why you shouldnt use big (or medium sized) words. why is it ironic that deep rooted beliefs and political systems arent changing? any where did you copy that sentence from? it surely isnt yours

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:55 pm

A great man died, killed on this day and yet I long to have lived in those times. People were simpler, fearless, did not fear death, a kid could play outside without fear of kidnap and those time had fewer Bittus, so not so many women were molested/raped.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:56 pm

southindian wrote:A great man died, killed on this day and yet I long to have lived in those times. People were simpler, fearless, did not fear death, a kid could play outside without fear of kidnap and those time had fewer Bittus, so not so many women were molested/raped.

Any idea what happened during the riots of partition?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:57 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Sasthi wrote:

this is why you shouldnt use big (or medium sized) words. why is it ironic that deep rooted beliefs and political systems arent changing? any where did you copy that sentence from? it surely isnt yours

Bava, those are my own sentences - may be I should copyright. What's wrong with you and stop stalking me!

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:06 pm

Sasthi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Sasthi wrote:

Bava, those are my own sentences - may be I should copyright. What's wrong with you and stop stalking me!

that's two sentences that one can read without pulling hair! someone else is using your keyboard!

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:17 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Sasthi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Sasthi wrote:

that's two sentences that one can read without pulling hair! someone else is using your keyboard!

I know! Oh so you are not bald? I can explain - for example ironically change is not happening in our political sys coz we still follow and accept age old tradition where after a king his kith and kin rules the kingdom and the same model exists even today and there is no real change. I will try my best not to use big words....Jesus Christ! I am not good at explaining things.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 pm

PS: Yay, Youtube works on Gogo.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:41 pm

This day in hstory

Following the massive uprising against hindi imposition in TN in 1965, all colleges wewre closed. They remain closed on this day.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:This day in hstory

Following the massive uprising against hindi imposition in TN in 1965, all colleges wewre closed. They remain closed on this day.

eh?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 pm

panini press wrote:

PS: Yay, Youtube works on Gogo.
For the non-Batakhians amongst us, here is a quick and dirty translation.

You gave us freedom without sword or shield,
O sage of Sabarmati, you have wrought a miracle!
Gandhi, your torch kept burning right through the storm,

You gave us freedom ... wrought a miracle!

You fought the world's most unique kind of fight
You fired no musket, rifle nor cannon!
You did not lay seige to the enemy's forts
O (half-naked) fakir, you showed great ingenuity!
With a snap of your fingers you rid the country of the enemy

With a game of chess the enemy had entrenched himself here
It felt impossible to defeat the European here
The battle was fierce, and the enemy didn't tire from it
But you, o father, too were a clever, seasoned player!
Once you threw a determined move, the game turned on its head,

Whenever your call came, the youth rose up
The workers rose up, as did the farmers
Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Pathans all answered your call
In your footsteps crores upon crores followed.
Leaving a bed of flowers behind, ran Jawaharlal

The determination of non-violence filled your mind
As the little langoti clothed your body
You roamed among the lakhs with the staff of truth.
As it were, your frame was tiny to look at,
But -- even the peaks of the Himalayas bowed down in front of you!
In the whole world, you were without match, man beyond compare

If anyone lived in this world, o father, just you lived!
In the path of the nation you sacrificed everything;
You asked for no throne, no crown you accepted;
You gave us all amrit (nectar of immortality), but drank poison yourself.
The day your pyre bured, even Time itself wept,

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Gandhi was a hypocrite. In 1939 peaceful anti-Hindi protesters were shot by the Madras Province Congress Government. Gandhi did not say a word against it.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
southindian wrote:A great man died, killed on this day and yet I long to have lived in those times. People were simpler, fearless, did not fear death, a kid could play outside without fear of kidnap and those time had fewer Bittus, so not so many women were molested/raped.

no he is souTHINdian. they were not traumatized by partition.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 pm

If the 2 min silence were to be observed today, there will stone throwing bcz people might think it was Sonia Gandhi who had died.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:27 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Gandhi was a hypocrite. In 1939 peaceful anti-Hindi protesters were shot by the Madras Province Congress Government. Gandhi did not say a word against it.
I will consider your character assessments more seriously when you unequivocally condemn people who recruited child soldiers, and killed thousands of your fellow Tamils.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:29 pm

panini press wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:Gandhi was a hypocrite. In 1939 peaceful anti-Hindi protesters were shot by the Madras Province Congress Government. Gandhi did not say a word against it.
I will consider your character assessments more seriously when you unequivocally condemn people who recruited child soldiers, and killed thousands of your fellow Tamils.

Name the persons. If true I will unequivocally condemn them

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
panini press wrote:

Name the persons. If true I will unequivocally condemn them
That's what I meant.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

no he is souTHINdian. they were not traumatized by partition.

south indians got to watch this, a bbc documentary on indo-pak partition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amnevwW0MJo

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 pm

what colleges are closed? when? where? why? details please.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm

bw wrote:

all colleges in tn for about a week in late january 1965 and for about a month in mid february. read history books or tamil tribune

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
bw wrote:

all colleges in tn for about a week in late january 1965 and for about a month in mid february. read history books or tamil tribune

you said they remain closed to this day. for what purpose?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 pm

>> you said they remain closed to this day

Remain closed to this day IN HISTORY. *that was January 31, 1965)

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> you said they remain closed to this day

Remain closed to this day IN HISTORY. *that was January 31, 1965)

duh. they were closed back then and that's that. you made it sound like they "remain closed" even now on that day. devious!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 pm

nothing duious. you just misunderstood, for no fault of yours.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:nothing duious. you just misunderstood, for no fault of yours.

"they remain closed on this day" means they remain closed even now.

nothing to misunderstand, really. devious, it was.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down