Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT'

+6
Nila
Rishi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
Petrichor
garam_kuta
10 posters

Go down

KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT' Empty KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT'

Post by garam_kuta Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 am

chronologically,
@23:20, he refused to make any change way before movie release

then
@0:43 he agrees and seems anxious for acceptance@0:43

and another bow@1:08

what happened ? a lot of 'loose change'

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT' Empty Re: KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT'

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am

Economics question:
In how many days will KH break-even with Vishwaroopam?

Proposed answer:
KH says he spent 95 crores. Approximately 500 TN theaters will show the movie. Assuming a 700 seat capacity in each theater, approximately 2000 people will see the movie in a day in a theater. Or 10 lakh people per day in TN. If they individually pay Rs.100 for a ticket, we are looking at Rs 10 crores in a day. After giving the exhibitors their dues, does it appear to you that the movie will break-even in, say, 20 days ?

(trying my hand at what people call a case interview warm-up called the back-of-the-envelope question)

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 am

garam_kuta wrote:chronologically,
@23:20, he refused to make any change way before movie release

then
@0:43 he agrees and seems anxious for acceptance@0:43

and another bow@1:08

what happened ? a lot of 'loose change'

NOOO. His love for black goggles was cause for all the attention. Don't rub Amma the wrong way.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:00 pm

atcg wrote:Economics question:

Proposed answer:
KH says he spent 95 crores. Approximately 500 TN theaters will show the movie. Assuming a 700 seat capacity in each theater, approximately 2000 people will see the movie in a day in a theater. Or 10 lakh people per day in TN. If they individually pay Rs.100 for a ticket, we are looking at Rs 10 crores in a day. After giving the exhibitors their dues, does it appear to you that the movie will break-even in, say, 20 days ?

(trying my hand at what people call a case interview warm-up called the back-of-the-envelope question)

Treat it like an investment. Businesses expect a 20% profit. He mortgaged his house etc.. to get 100 crores at some 15% interest. The collections have to be 3 times the amount to break even as distributors, movie theaters, etc. will hv to paid. Didn't he give TV rights to Vijai TV for 100 crores? I recall reading that. Also, in today's movie market a movie running for 25 to 50 days is a big achievement - although the full house will last only for 1 or 2 weeks tops.

So he need to make some 400 crores to make a significant profit.

Thank me after the interview...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:04 pm

He mortgaged his house etc.. to get 100 crores at some 15% interest.

Only 15% interest?

I thought the marwadis who usually finance the movies charge at least 72%.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
atcg wrote:Economics question:

Proposed answer:

Treat it like an investment. Businesses expect a 20% profit. He mortgaged his house etc.. to get 100 crores at some 15% interest. The collections have to be 3 times the amount to break even as distributors, movie theaters, etc. will hv to paid. Didn't he give TV rights to Vijai TV for 100 crores? I recall reading that. Also, in today's movie market a movie running for 25 to 50 days is a big achievement - although the full house will last only for 1 or 2 weeks tops.

So he need to make some 400 crores to make a significant profit.

Thank me after the interview...Razz

So only TN market is kosher.. dabbu from all other states and overseas go to charity ??

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 pm

I should have clarified...i was simplifying just to vet the estimates...

specifically, assumptions about seating capacity, number of people that will be watching in the state and ticket prices and box office receipts' share for exhibitors and KH...

as i said just "warm-up"

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:33 pm

atcg wrote:I should have clarified...i was simplifying just to vet the estimates...

specifically, assumptions about seating capacity, number of people that will be watching in the state and ticket prices and box office receipts' share for exhibitors and KH...

as i said just "warm-up"

In addition to DNA, you're also an MBA? Very Happy

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Watching the first video. She has been doing cop count for last 5 minutes. A good exercise in math.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Watching the first video. She has been doing cop count for last 5 minutes. A good exercise in math.

yeah such a drag this part .. but after that, it is quite well written and delivered..

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:07 pm

If you were to make a full 'case' out of it...

Revenues must be considered from

after slicing the franchise into three languages -
DTH
Box Office - India, Overseas
DVD
CD Music?? (there was like 2 songs?)
Residuals from TV reruns

and individual revenue shares with different downstream players...

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:11 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Watching the first video. She has been doing cop count for last 5 minutes. A good exercise in math.

yeah such a drag this part .. but after that, it is quite well written and delivered..

dunno. a bunch of goons said they will hold marches outside every theatre, and the cm bans the movie w/o letting her people see it (I think only the muslim leaders did).

From what I understand about laww and aurderr is that you nab possible miscreants, rather their leaders, beforhand, or restrict their movements, and that's how you avoid possible mob violence. That's how you protect freedom of speech that earns you revenues and when it's done peacefully, and you restrict 'freedom of speech' of the other party specially if they are threatening possible violence. Easier said than done, but that'd be the right approach.

Also, all they were saying is that they would march outside theatres. So ok, give them a chance to do it peacefully. Why rush everywhere and say these groups will beat up and break things, unless they are saying so. And if your 'intelligence' sniffs out possible violence, then use the same intelligence to nab it.

What will muslims in TN demand next? Ban Hindu weddings on Moharrams or else they will kill? What will she do then? Ban it, coz 'oh no, I have only nine thousand four hundred and five policemen, and two hundred and five hundred and forty one are going to quit, so I will have nine thousand and'... whatever.

She wants to take legal action against everyone who defamed her remotely. But she won't take any action against subtle threatening petitions made by different organizations. Or against groups that her intelligence identified as rioters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm

She is very talented and she will certainly become PM one day Smile LOL

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Sasthi wrote:She is very talented and she will certainly become PM one day Smile LOL

And pigs will have wings and fly one day.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Sasthi wrote:She is very talented and she will certainly become PM one day Smile LOL

And pigs will have wings and fly one day.

anything is possible.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 pm

And omg. Kamalahassan is 58! She highlighted that on purpose, didn't she? Evil!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:And omg. Kamalahassan is 58! She highlighted that on purpose, didn't she? Evil!

She is an evil pig.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 pm

*Everyone has a tipping point and a breaking point.

Although this may be an odd comparison to some..anyone knows that when someone is being held hostage- esp. a child hostage - *almost all people/parents will do things they may never do otherwise for keeping the child alive-and for their own survival. I would.

Vishwaroopam is Kamal's baby..and he is trying his best to negotiate with the hostage holders- going through "all the stages" of psychological torment..fear, anger, frustration, despair (smile, be humble, do whatever it takes)..to somehow keep his baby alive- survive this crisis..when there is so much at stake personnally for him.

Last edited by Maria S on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm

KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT' Hanifa_1349410f

The new Censor Board - http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/vishwaroopam-talks-remain-inconclusive/article4368543.ece?homepage=true

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:33 pm

*correction- everyone knows.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 pm

atcg wrote:If you were to make a full 'case' out of it...

Revenues must be considered from

after slicing the franchise into three languages -
DTH
Box Office - India, Overseas
DVD
CD Music?? (there was like 2 songs?)
Residuals from TV reruns

and individual revenue shares with different downstream players...

It is highly unlikely that Kamal, who has produced numerous movies under Rajkamal Films Int'l, will lose money. He is a shrewd guy who has been in the movie industry all his life. It will be interesting to know how much of the 95 crores that he claims to have spent includes his own star salary of several crores. The biggest portion of the production expenses would have been film-making in foreign locations. Usually studios and labs give credit to famous producers and get paid after the release of the film, so no payouts there.

It is likely that Kamal was able to negotiate minimum guarantee + royalty terms with many of the distributors in the 7 major Tamil Nadu markets. He possibly kept Chennai and Madurai/Ramnad to himself and planned to offer it to exhibitors on a rental deal. Certainly the ban has delayed his earnings but once the film is released (after some censorship to placate the muslims) he should be in great shape, given all its notoriety and publicity.

He must have made a similar arrangement with Bollywood distributors since the movie was also made in Hindi, not dubbed. Since the movie has already been released in the north that part of his financial arrangement should be raking in good money over the next month or two.

Another huge segment is the telugu market. He might have sold the rights and taken the money, or might have worked out a set ratio on collections. And there are other Indian language markets too.

Then there are foreign distributors like Ayngaran who'd have paid him handsomely for foreign rights in theater screenings, DTH and videos.

All this hoopla is part of show business in Kollywood, politics included. Every big budget movie producer takes a risk for sure but it is hard to believe that Kamal stands to lose all his assets over this movie as he claims. The movie is already getting good reviews and decent ratings. He'll most likely go laughing all the way to the bank once things calm down, his claim that the fascist government has aborted his baby notwithstanding.

P.S. Kamal is smart in deleting some scenes to appease his muslim brothers in order to release the film. We all know that those who are curious about what scenes got deleted can easily see them by getting uncensored pirated DVD's.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:38 pm

atcg wrote:KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT' Hanifa_1349410f

The new Censor Board - http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/vishwaroopam-talks-remain-inconclusive/article4368543.ece?homepage=true

Wow, what muscle this group has...ALL across the world

Don't tell me these people are TN Muslims. They can't be. These are Karnataka, Telugu Muslims pretending to be TN Muslims.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:51 pm

southindian wrote:
atcg wrote:KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT' Hanifa_1349410f

Wow, what muscle this group has...ALL across the world

Don't tell me these people are TN Muslims. They can't be. These are Karnataka, Telugu Muslims pretending to be TN Muslims.

That is exactly the point.

They are an international group. A group which forms 'brotherhood' all over the world. That is why a TN Muslim feels closer to a Malaysian muslim than a Tamil Hindu. And that is the reason the dark skinned TN Muslims gets mad when he perceives a slight on the fair skinned Muslims of Afghanistan.

Finally the international brotherhood is from what the TN muslim derives his self confidence and power.

But the fact of the matter is a Muslim in Turkey or Kosova looks at the TN Muslim as an inferior.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:56 pm

I guess these are the Muslims whom JM admires for their forbearance.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:04 pm

Did you watch her news conference?

See how calm, concise, logical, lucid and very articulate she is.

And she explains the entire sequence of events in an intelligent and organized way.

She does not need any notes.

She towers far above the Italian woman Sonia Gandhi who hard a time reading from a written speech.

Only person who can match her. That is Hillary Clinton.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Rishi wrote:Did you watch her news conference?

And she explains the entire sequence of events in an intelligent and organized way.

She towers far above the Italian woman Sonia Gandhi who hard a time reading from a written speech.

KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT' Jayalalitha_sapporter_20080
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rishi wrote:Did you watch her news conference?

KAMAL'S 'BREAKING POINT' Jayalalitha_sapporter_20080

ha..another tamil practicing NI culture bites the dust, huh?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:50 am

*The deal is made, the child will be returned to the parent - minus some hair clippings.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/tamil-nadu/kamal-muslim-groups-reach-accord/article4372867.ece

*I have read so many reviews this morning..except for hollywood-like grand production, and apparently a magnificient introductory Kathak dance by Kamal (feminine) and his masculine transformation- action sequences, and the good villain actor..does not seem like it's an epic (most objective reviewers have given it 6-8 stars/10). The movie-watching experiences in Kerala and Andhra..seems more interesting.

Ok..think by the end of the week, will be out and watch it on Youku (thanks in advance China)!
When I have time between all hoopla and parties related to the Super Bowl!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Question
Maria S wrote:*The deal is made, the child will be returned to the parent - minus some hair clippings.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/tamil-nadu/kamal-muslim-groups-reach-accord/article4372867.ece

*I have read so many reviews this morning..except for hollywood-like grand production, and apparently a magnificient introductory Kathak dance by Kamal (feminine) and his masculine transformation- action sequences, and the good villain actor..does not seem like it's an epic (most objective reviewers have given it 6-8 stars/10). The movie-watching experiences in Kerala and Andhra..seems more interesting.

Ok..think by the end of the week, will be out and watch it on Youku (thanks in advance China)!
When I have time between all hoopla and parties related to the Super Bowl!

.....Maria. must you sully the holiest of weekends by getting distracted with this business.Sunday is mine sayeth the Superbowl God. Go 9'ers!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:16 pm

I know Kris..I have no picks..but, just for solidarity with a die-hard SF 49er fan in my family..will offer some support to them!

This is the funniest line I read about Vishwaroopam this morning Very Happy :

"Who will want to watch this movie now? No more sense of doing the forbidden while enjoying a clandestine show. So boring."

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Maria S wrote:

I know Kris..I have no picks..but, just for solidarity with a die-hard SF 49er fan in my family..will offer some support to them!

This is the funniest line I read about Vishwaroopam this morning Very Happy :

"Who will want to watch this movie now? No more sense of doing the forbidden while enjoying a clandestine show. So boring."

..tell Mr. Maria his bro from Calif is with him in spirit.He need not be content with the half support from Indian movie fans. Go Kaepernick!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Thank you Kris- will convey that to a Southern nephew:)

Have a good weekend everyone!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down