Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Architect of Modern India

2 posters

Go down

Architect of Modern India Empty Architect of Modern India

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:38 pm

The architect of modern India was the great Mughal Emperor Akbar who gave equal respect to people of all communities and appointed them to the highest offices on their merits irrespective of their religion, caste, etc. Emperor Akbar was perhaps the greatest ruler the world has ever seen. He consulted scholars of all the religions and gave respect not only to Muslim scholars, but also to Hindus, Christians, Parsis, Sikhs, Jains, etc. Those who came to his court were given respect, and the Emperor heard their views, sometimes alone, and sometimes in the Ibadatkhana (Hall of Worship), where people of all religions assembled and discussed their views in a tolerant spirit. The Emperor declared his policy of Suleh-e-Kul, which means universal tolerance of all religions and communities. He abolished Jeziya in 1564 and the pilgrim tax in 1563 on Hindus and permitted his Hindu wife to continue to practice her own religion even after their marriage. This is evident from the Jodha Bai Palace in Fatehpur Sikri which is built on Hindu architectural pattern.

In 1578, the Parsi theologian Dastur Meherji Rana was invited to the emperor's court and he had detailed discussions with Emperor Akbar and acquainted him about the Parsi religion. Similarly, the Jesuit Priests Father Antonio Monserrate, Father Rodolfo Acquaviva and Father Francisco Enriques etc. also came to the Emperor's court on his request and acquainted him about the Christian religion. The Emperor also became acquainted with Sikhism and came into contact with Guru Amar Das and Guru Ram Das.

Thus, as stated in the Cambridge History of India (Vol. IV- The Mughal Period) Emperor Akbar conceived the idea of becoming the father of all his subjects, rather than the leader of only the Muslims, and he was far ahead of his times. As mentioned by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru in The Discovery of India, "Akbar's success is astonishing, for he created a sense of oneness among the diverse elements of India."

In 1582, the Emperor invited and received a Jain delegation consisting of Hiravijaya Suri, Bhanuchandra Upadhyaya and Vijayasena Suri. Jainism, with its doctrine of non-violence, made a profound impression on him and influenced his personal life. He curtailed his food and drink and ultimately abstained from flesh diet altogether for several months in the year. He renounced hunting which was his favourite pastime, restricted the practice of fishing and released prisoners and caged birds. Slaughter of animals was prohibited on certain days and ultimately in 1587 for about half the days in the year.

Emperor Akbar was a propagator of Suleh-i-Kul (universal toleration) at a time when Europeans were indulging in religious massacres e.g. the St. Bartholomew Day massacre in 1572 of Protestants, (called Huguenots) in France by the Catholics, the burning at the stake of Protestants by Queen Mary of England, the massacre by the Duke of Alva of millions of protestants for their resistance to Rome and the burning at the stake of Jews during the Spanish Inquisition. We may also mention the subsequent massacre of the Catholics in Ireland by Cromwell, and the mutual massacre of Catholics and Protestants in Germany during the thirty year war from 1618 to 1648 in which the population of Germany was reduced from 18 million to 12 million. Thus, Emperor Akbar was far ahead of even the Europeans of his times.

Emperor Akbar himself abstained from eating meat on Fridays and Sundays and on some other days, as has been mentioned in the Ain-i-Akbari by Abul Fazl.

It was because of the wise policy of tolerance of the Great Emperor Akbar that the Mughal Empire lasted for so long, and hence the same wise policy of tolerance alone can keep our country together despite so much diversity.

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?238977

Back to top Go down

Architect of Modern India Empty Re: Architect of Modern India

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:14 pm

This one is dated 2008. Despite numerous threads and posts on Akbar, you HAVE to dig up a 2008 op-ed page and start all over.

If this is not Obsessive Compulsion I don't know what it.

G E T H E L P - seriously.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:This one is dated 2008. Despite numerous threads and posts on Akbar, you HAVE to dig up a 2008 op-ed page and start all over.

Why did you bring up Akbar and Shah Jahan (Mughals) in the thread ' the world's most expensive dog'?

Could it be that it is you who is obsessed with Mughals?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:This one is dated 2008. Despite numerous threads and posts on Akbar, you HAVE to dig up a 2008 op-ed page and start all over.

Why did you bring up Akbar and Shah Jahan (Mughals) in the thread ' the world's most expensive dog'?

If you don't know the difference between the two then you have even bigger neurological problems.

If you have any doubt just run a survey and see what others think - if you have OCD or I have OCD.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:30 pm

akbar can make an awesome pass and catch it himself.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

If you don't know the difference between the two then you have even bigger neurological problems.

If you have any doubt just run a survey and see what others think - if you have OCD or I have OCD.

The fact that you started talking about Mughals in the middle of a discussion on dogs PROVES that it is you who has OCD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The fact that you started talking about Mughals in the middle of a discussion on dogs PROVES that it is you who has OCD.

ok...ok...calm down... you don't have OCD. who said that.... you are in perfectly normal mental health..... you are right.....always... calm now????

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

ok...ok...calm down... you don't have OCD. who said that.... you are in perfectly normal mental health..... you are right.....always... calm now????

You sound hysterical. Calm down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down