Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intolerant NI

+10
Maria S
Seva Lamberdar
bw
Hellsangel
Idéfix
garam_kuta
goodcitizn
Kayalvizhi
Uppili
Rishi
14 posters

Go down

Intolerant NI Empty Intolerant NI

Post by Rishi Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Dr. Rao, a friend of mine who is a Telugu works in a county hospital in Maryland. He is an avid listener of Carnatic music.He has a Sikh co-worker who is also a doctor.
One day, the Sardarji asked for a ride from the Telugu man.
When Dr. Rao turned on the ignition, the Carnatic Music came on.
The Sardarji got irritated. "Nonsense," he said. He shut the Cassette Player off.
Think for a minute. The man is sitting in someone else's car. The SI guy was gracious enough to help him despite the inconvenience it caused. And he acted in a rude and intolerant manner.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Intolerant NI Empty Re: Intolerant NI

Post by Uppili Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Rishi wrote:Dr. Rao, a friend of mine who is a Telugu works in a county hospital in Maryland. He is an avid listener of Carnatic music.He has a Sikh co-worker who is also a doctor.
The Sardarji got irritated. "Nonsense," he said. He shut the Cassette Player off.
Think for a minute. The man is sitting in someone else's car. The SI guy was gracious enough to help him despite the inconvenience it caused. And he acted in a rude and intolerant manner.

The Sardarji just acted in a typical Indian way.

The Gult should have played a "Bhale Bhale..." cassette.

On second thought I think the Sardar must be referring to the CASETTE PLAYER when said non-sense - not the carnatic music.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Rishi, Read this. Almost identical.

Hindian Arrogance on a Tamilnadu Tourist Bus (A Personal Anecdote)
by A. Ramachandran
http://www.tamiltribune.com/02/0402.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Even in Sulekha there were Hindians who made fun of the Hindi accent of south indians when they should have been appreciative of their effort to communicate in Hindi.

What's even worse is that most Hindians who move to the south, for a few years or longer, make no effort to learn the local language with the excuse that they can find people who speak Hindi to get by.

Worst of all is their belief it is the national language (when it is clearly NOT) and not knowing Hindi makes one less of an Indian.

These to me represent NI arrogance.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:46 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Even in Sulekha there were Hindians who made fun of the Hindi accent of south indians when they should have been appreciative of their effort to communicate in Hindi.

What's even worse is that most Hindians who move to the south, for a few years or longer, make no effort to learn the local language with the excuse that they can find people who speak Hindi to get by.

Worst of all is their belief it is the national language (when it is clearly NOT) and not knowing Hindi makes one less of an Indian.

GC- In many cases, I think so too... don't know about arrogance or whatever.. those who are in military/air force etc., are particularly vulnerable to this attitude; perhaps because they live in far-out remote places away from the center of city and in secluded gated and sheltered community, they may not feel the need, except for communicating with the house-help and such.. for example IISc/IIT students also fall into the same category; but overall what you say is a fact..

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:48 pm

So what did Dr. Rao do when the Sardarji turned off the music?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:What's even worse is that most Hindians who move to the south, for a few years or longer, make no effort to learn the local language with the excuse that they can find people who speak Hindi to get by.

GC- In many cases, I think so too... don't know about arrogance or whatever.. those who are in military/air force etc., are particularly vulnerable to this attitude; perhaps because they live in far-out remote places away from the center of city and in secluded gated and sheltered community, they may not feel the need, except for communicating with the house-help and such.. for example IISc/IIT students also fall into the same category; but overall what you say is a fact..

Even in SuCH we have a linguistics maven who believes that a common man in Tamil Nadu is conversant in Dakhini, a variant of Urdu, and since (according to him) Max equates Urdu to Hindi, Hindi automatically is an integral part of the Tamil culture. That is not NI arrogance. It is what is known as el toro poo poo.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:06 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:What's even worse is that most Hindians who move to the south, for a few years or longer, make no effort to learn the local language with the excuse that they can find people who speak Hindi to get by.

Even in SuCH we have a linguistics maven who believes that a common man in Tamil Nadu is conversant in Dakhini, a variant of Urdu, and since (according to him) Max equates Urdu to Hindi, Hindi automatically is an integral part of the Tamil culture. That is not NI arrogance. It is what is known as el toro poo poo.

Mierda del toro would be the right term.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Mierda del toro would be the right term.

Me suena bien! Laughing

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:07 pm

panileni paparao wrote:So what did Dr. Rao do when the Sardarji turned off the music?

Nothing.

He is a gentleman.

He is not someone who gets into unnecessary fights.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Rishi wrote:
panileni paparao wrote:So what did Dr. Rao do when the Sardarji turned off the music?

Nothing.

He is a gentleman.

I don't see the virtue in allowing a rude person to take over one's own car. It wouldn't be an "unnecessary fight" to assert his authority in his own car, when he was doing a favor to the rude man in the first place by giving him a ride. Clearly he did not like the Sardarji's behavior, or he wouldn't have remembered it and told you all about it. Perhaps he should have done something when he could have.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Rishi wrote:

Nothing.

He is a gentleman.

Maybe he was a wussy Iyer boy.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Nothing.

He is a gentleman.

Maybe he was a wussy Iyer boy.

ah... the resident alpha homo sapien speaketh Razz

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 pm

panileni paparao wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Nothing.

He is a gentleman.

I don't see the virtue in allowing a rude person to take over one's own car. It wouldn't be an "unnecessary fight" to assert his authority in his own car, when he was doing a favor to the rude man in the first place by giving him a ride. Clearly he did not like the Sardarji's behavior, or he wouldn't have remembered it and told you all about it. Perhaps he should have done something when he could have.

The Sardarji lost the good-will and respect of Dr. Rao. Next time, Dr. Rao wouldn't have offered any help to the Sardarji.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:08 pm

nenu wrote:
panileni paparao wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Nothing.

He is a gentleman.

The Sardarji lost the good-will and respect of Dr. Rao. Next time, Dr. Rao wouldn't have offered any help to the Sardarji.

i am intrigued by the appendage 'ji' for the sardar by all here, in spite of his inappropriate behavior... don't tell me its so ingratiating and therefore etc., Sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:13 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
nenu wrote:
panileni paparao wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Nothing.

He is a gentleman.

i am intrigued by the appendage 'ji' for the sardar by all here, in spite of his inappropriate behavior... don't tell me its so ingratiating and therefore etc., Sad

The whole word, 'sardarji' is used as a common noun. the 'ji' has become an integral part of the common noun, not used specifically as a mark of respect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:28 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
nenu wrote:
panileni paparao wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Nothing.

He is a gentleman.

Haha, good point.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Rishi wrote:Dr. Rao, a friend of mine who is a Telugu works in a county hospital in Maryland. He is an avid listener of Carnatic music.He has a Sikh co-worker who is also a doctor.

i thought CM originated in kashmir? or was it maharashtra? scratch

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 pm

bw wrote:

You got it all confused, bw. It's bharatanatyam that originated in kashmir, not CM. And if BN originated in Kashmir, then in all likelihood, CM could've originated in Punjab. We nvr know, you see, until the resident expert educates us all.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:05 pm

nenu wrote:
bw wrote:

You got it all confused, bw. It's bharatanatyam that originated in kashmir, not CM. And if BN originated in Kashmir, then in all likelihood, CM could've originated in Punjab. We nvr know, you see, until the resident expert educates us all.

no, there was some classical music founding father dude who came from kashmir but settled in MH and after some serious internet research, it was concluded that MH deserves the credit for CM. i felt very sad about coming from a has-no-original-art-form culture. i got over that by reminding myself of the fine sport of kozhai adi sandai. (fight by the water tap?)

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:11 pm

bw wrote:
nenu wrote:
bw wrote:

no, there was some musical founding father dude who came from kashmir but settled in MH and after some serious internet research, it was concluded that MH deserves the credit for CM. i felt very sad about coming from a has-no-original-art-form culture. i got over that by reminding myself of the fine sport of kozhai adi sandai. (fight by the water tap?)

oh..so there WAS a theory regarding that. It's not that you were confused. ayyo! You guys at least have kozhai adi sandai. How abt the other hapless southies? Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:37 pm

nenu wrote:

oh..so there WAS a theory regarding that. It's not that you were confused. ayyo! You guys at least have kozhai adi sandai. How abt the other hapless southies? Sad

well, you can turn ingratiation into an art form, you know.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:58 pm

bw wrote:
nenu wrote:

well, you can turn ingratiation into an art form, you know.

oh yeah... I see a ray of hope there! We southies sans tamizhians mastered something that you kozhai adi sandaians couldn't. How cool is that!

tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 am

goodcitizn wrote:Even in Sulekha there were Hindians who made fun of the Hindi accent of south indians when they should have been appreciative of their effort to communicate in Hindi.

You are mistaken GC. Many TNers are no different about their language and culture than some of the NIs you are talking about. In my first year at IIT Kgp (1965), I tried a few very simple sentences in Tamil (with TNers), such as 'inge va' and 'ange po'. Some of them (especially one guy who had been to jail earlier that year for protesting against Hindi in Madurai) found my Himachali 'Tamil' accent quite funny and didn't have anything encouraging to say. Considering my Tamil sentences were so short (basically brief commands, 'inge va' etc.), I don't think there really was the issue of accent. They probably didn't want an outsider to try their language, that's what I thought before giving up.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:21 am

Good Morning dear Seva, and Neenga Inge Vaanga:)

There are certainly tamilian siblings who may not encourage others to learn more.

Nice to know that you have not forgotten the few words!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Some of them (especially one guy who had been to jail earlier that year for protesting against Hindi in Madurai) found my Himachali 'Tamil' accent quite funny and didn't have anything encouraging to say.

i applaud your attempt to speak tamil.

i doubt that guy was anywhere near the agitation. he might have told a tall story.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 am

Good Morning dear Maria.
It has been quite a while and now I have forgotten most of what I used to know in the Tamil language.
Anyway, it's certainly true that many TNers have the same type of attitude about their language and cultures (protecting it from outsiders) as others (including the NIs) have about theirs.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:Some of them (especially one guy who had been to jail earlier that year for protesting against Hindi in Madurai) found my Himachali 'Tamil' accent quite funny and didn't have anything encouraging to say.

i applaud your attempt to speak tamil.

i doubt that guy was anywhere near the agitation. he might have told a tall story.
He probably was telling the truth. He bragged almost everyday about going to jail for protesting against Hindi in Madurai. We used to joke that it was a big feather in his cap, considering he was from TN, and he might even mention the jail stay in his resume.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:38 am

This is cute and funny, imo (Tamilians/Indians in Kenya)..the host is from Sollunganna Anney Sollunga!- a fun show..taped a few weeks ago.

It's great to see the Kenyans speak Tamil so well! (Watch 5.30..)

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:He probably was telling the truth. He bragged almost everyday about going to jail for protesting against Hindi in Madurai. We used to joke that it was a big feather in his cap, considering he was from TN, and he might even mention the jail stay in his resume.

I cannot definitely say he is not telling the truth. But consider the facts.

Only top stdent leaders went to jail for any length of time. We know who they are. This IIT guy is not them. Neither went to IIT.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:47 am

There was a guy in another forum using another name. He bragged he was 1965 student leadder at a Madras college (I believe him). He said he was sitting next to Amirtha lingam in some meeting. He said he knosws Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli. I czannot say he is lying

Then someone posted that his views are like Kayalvizhi. He said he knows me and we protested IPKF in 1987. I can 100% say it was a lie.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:He probably was telling the truth. He bragged almost everyday about going to jail for protesting against Hindi in Madurai. We used to joke that it was a big feather in his cap, considering he was from TN, and he might even mention the jail stay in his resume.

Only top stdent leaders went to jail for any length of time. We know who they are. This IIT guy is not them. Neither went to IIT.
This ex-IIT guy, I talked about earlier, could have spent a few days in detention for protesting against Hindi in Madurai in 1965. He was not the official leader of student protesters.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

This ex-IIT guy, I talked about earlier, could have spent a few days in detention for protesting against Hindi in Madurai in 1965. He was not the official leader of student protesters.
no one at iit-madras went to jail for taking part in the protests against hindi. indeed no one at iit-m even took part in the protests, and the campus was an island of calm.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:25 pm

I thought for a minute and I think there is a misunderstanding here. Tech savvy Sardarji Sirji was probably aghast at Dr Rao still using a Cassette Player in this day and age. So he expressed his shock reflexively, albeit in a seemingly rude fashion.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 pm

This guy was at IIT KGP, as I indicated earlier / above (first year student like me in 1965). He claimed to have gone to jail for protesting against Hindi (in Madurai if I remember correctly) before joining the IIT.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Is there a SI version of this joke someone can post ASAP.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:43 pm

*Seva, you have an excellent memory!

No idea if this person you mention participated or not, but here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Hindi_agitations_of_Tamil_Nadu

1965:

On 25 January, a clash between agitating students and Congress party workers in Madurai went out of control and became a riot. Rioting soon spread to other parts of the State
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Maria S wrote:*Seva, you have an excellent memory!

1965:

On 25 January, a clash between agitating students and Congress party workers in Madurai went out of control and became a riot. Rioting soon spread to other parts of the State

Who has access to memory these days. People use search engines and the most popular is Google.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Maria S wrote:This is cute and funny, imo (Tamilians/Indians in Kenya)..the host is from Sollunganna Anney Sollunga!- a fun show..taped a few weeks ago.

It's great to see the Kenyans speak Tamil so well! (Watch 5.30..)

This guy is funny.

The Tamil TV talk shows are much more decent than the ones in America.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:This guy was at IIT KGP, as I indicated earlier / above (first year student like me in 1965). He claimed to have gone to jail for protesting against Hindi (in Madurai if I remember correctly) before joining the IIT.
that's possible, seva. i had misunderstood.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Maria S wrote:*Seva, you have an excellent memory!

1965:

Maria, Thanks for the link. Do not trust wikipedia. What is there about this is not false but does not tell the complete facts.

I have read original reports in newspaper archgives. This is what they say.

Students were going to their hostels after the protese march and there was troble between students and Congress affiliated trade union. A Congress fellow cut and drew blood of a student, I dont think seriously. Students either burnt or ransaked the trade union office (I dont think it is the main office). There is no reports of arrest on Jan 25. Another march on 27. Arrestys happened only later. This guy could be one of them.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Ok Kayal, I will keep that in mind:)

Sara, Yes, the host seems like a simple guy- like him, no pretenses!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:02 pm

anyone get the feeling that big titties makes up stories? or atleast adds 2 rupees worth masala to 25 cents incident?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:anyone get the feeling that big titties makes up stories? or atleast adds 2 rupees worth masala to 25 cents incident?

at least not the midnight masala variety all the time to hot air.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down