Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this true about the church?

4 posters

Go down

Is this true about the church? Empty Is this true about the church?

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:28 pm

As long as Catholics continue to accept the lines they are fed about papal infallibility, it will make not one whit of difference who the pope is. As long as Catholics are expected to accept rigid, sexist and blatantly illogical doctrine, there can be no real change in the church. From the Vatican down to the local parish priest, the early narratives—stories, really—that sought to explain who we are, why we are here, and the meaning of life are still taught, despite the fact that they are even less credible explanations of who we are than they ever were. By now, they are narratives of the oppression of women and in many ways of the human sprit. The insistence that Jesus Christ was born of virgin is among the most destructive. It suggests that women—married or single—are forever tainted by sexual activity. It reflects the early Christian distaste for all sexuality. It clings to the notion that there would have been something unseemly about God coming into the world through a birth canal through which semen had passed. Holding to the virgin birth is not a benign teaching. It undermines the idea that pleasure is sacred, that sexual intercourse is normal and healthy. It certainly does nothing to undermine the idiots who think that the woman’s body will reject the sperm of a rapist. It’s not just a matter of religious doctrine—at a policy level, it is at the root of the rejection of contraception, even for married people, insurance coverage for the same and most definitely abortion. - See more at: http://www.thenation.com/article/172979/new-pope-african-latin-american-woman-nice-guy-will-change-nothing#sthash.b2bDJ06V.dpuf

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Is this true about the church? Empty Re: Is this true about the church?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:31 pm

every religion has some weird notions. why is this surprising?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:every religion has some weird notions. why is this surprising?

And you thought that I was surprised and that is why I asked the question.

I posted the question for time pass and hopefully succeed in creating a long thread.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Rishi wrote:As long as Catholics continue to accept the lines they are fed about papal infallibility, it will make not one whit of difference who the pope is. As long as Catholics are expected to accept rigid, sexist and blatantly illogical doctrine, there can be no real change in the church. From the Vatican down to the local parish priest, the early narratives—stories, really—that sought to explain who we are, why we are here, and the meaning of life are still taught, despite the fact that they are even less credible explanations of who we are than they ever were. By now, they are narratives of the oppression of women and in many ways of the human sprit. The insistence that Jesus Christ was born of virgin is among the most destructive. It suggests that women—married or single—are forever tainted by sexual activity. It reflects the early Christian distaste for all sexuality. It clings to the notion that there would have been something unseemly about God coming into the world through a birth canal through which semen had passed. Holding to the virgin birth is not a benign teaching. It undermines the idea that pleasure is sacred, that sexual intercourse is normal and healthy. It certainly does nothing to undermine the idiots who think that the woman’s body will reject the sperm of a rapist. It’s not just a matter of religious doctrine—at a policy level, it is at the root of the rejection of contraception, even for married people, insurance coverage for the same and most definitely abortion. - See more at: [url=http://www.thenation.com/article/172979/new-pope-african-latin-american-woman-nice-guy-will-change-nothing#sthash.b2bDJ06V.dpuf[/quote][/quote]

>>>>This piece seems to be all over the map. First, there is the solemn protest against the core beliefs of the church, which borders on the comical (a bit like a concerted effort to refute the existence of Santa Claus) and then, there is the tie-in of this idiocy as a premise to retrograde public policies. This author certainly has a keen sense of the obvious ... Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:every religion has some weird notions. why is this surprising?

And you thought that I was surprised and that is why I asked the question.

I posted the question for time pass and hopefully succeed in creating a long thread.

awesome idea!

a good attempt but i think this isn't that hot a topic to elicit too many responses. try topics like "tamil originated from hindi" or "masala dosa(i) was invented by the mughals".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down