Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I said the same thing before, compare the situation of Modi to Nixon's

Go down

I said the same thing before, compare the situation of Modi to Nixon's Empty I said the same thing before, compare the situation of Modi to Nixon's

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 pm

This is the real takeout, and this is where our pundits fail to see what has changed. Having won Gujarat convincingly, there is no reason for Modi to play deeply divisive politics any more. In fact, he had abandoned that soon after 2002 itself and reinvented himself as a development icon, but you can’t see this if you don’t want to.

As an intelligent politician, Modi has the advantage of knowing that his hardline image helps with traditional BJP voters; but the same hardline image could allow him to make grand overtures to minorities and still not be seen as appeasing them. Just as it took a Nixon to reach out to China, it is the hardliners who can be soft with perceived rivals. Strength, not weakness, enables compromise.

http://www.firstpost.com/politics/why-the-pundits-get-it-wrong-on-modi-repeatedly-647296.html

Rishi

Back to top Go down