Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamils vs Tamils: Anti-Dalit campaign sparks outrage

2 posters

Go down

Tamils vs Tamils: Anti-Dalit campaign sparks outrage Empty Tamils vs Tamils: Anti-Dalit campaign sparks outrage

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 am

http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/pmk-chief-s-anti-dalit-campaign-sparks-outrage-300692

Back to top Go down

Tamils vs Tamils: Anti-Dalit campaign sparks outrage Empty Re: Tamils vs Tamils: Anti-Dalit campaign sparks outrage

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 am

Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) – a party which was part of the ruling coalition of UPA-I as well as NDA and which essentially belonged to Vanniars, in a mammoth rally gave the slogan “Let Vanniars rule and let other castes live”. In the public meeting that followed a prominent leader, with Dr.Anbumani Ramadas the former central minister in dais, thundered, “If someone belonging to another caste marries our girl simply cut him into pieces. I shall take care of the consequences.” Interestingly the PMK party mascots included EVR and Karl Marx.

Even as the anti-inter-caste mania spread, a Dalit boy and Vanniar girl married against the wishes of the girl’s parents. After some days the father of the girl committed suicide and in a well planned attack 300 Dalit houses were charred and all their valuables were looted. Justice eludes the victims of caste violence and for Dalits it is doubly denied. Sri Rama Gopalan pointed out acidly, ‘Why is it that the parties in Tamil Nadu which always speak of communal harmony never speak of societal harmony?’

Yet in a strange irony, Dravidian politics found itself selectively targeting Brahmins –an absolutely soft target. A restaurant was attacked by Dravidianist hooligans because it had the word ‘Brahmin’ in its name though men of all castes were served in the café. A popular female singer of Brahmin caste was harassed by cyber-warriors of Dravidian variety and had to file a police complaint. However not to be let behind other caste chauvinists, Brahmins also have started asserting their own caste-based apartheid, which also has a religious dimension.

http://www.centreright.in/2012/11/caste-wars-in-tamil-nadu-a-sanghathan-perspective/#.UTcnZ4e9KSM

Back to top Go down

Tamils vs Tamils: Anti-Dalit campaign sparks outrage Empty Re: Tamils vs Tamils: Anti-Dalit campaign sparks outrage

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:33 am

it is common knowledge that caste differences are more prevalent in south india than north india. why, this forum is a good sample to conclude as much. you always hear about iyers, iyengars, nadars, gownders, mudaliars, pillais, reddys, kammas, rajus, namboodris, nairs on this forum but rarely hear any north indian talking about their caste. i know more about castes from south india than from north india, thanks to this forum.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 am

i have never heard more talk about caste in any indian crowd, than in a gathering of marathi brahmans who go on and on about konkanastha, karade, and gaud saraswat brahmans, their relative tendencies towards frugality and how it is reflected in their tea serving tendencies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have never heard more talk about caste in any indian crowd, than in a gathering of marathi brahmans who go on and on about konkanastha, karade, and gaud saraswat brahmans, their relative tendencies towards frugality and how it is reflected in their tea serving tendencies.

hahaha, that is true. MH brahmins always discuss other brahmins' stereotypes and that usually revolves around food habits and spending appetite. it is said that karhades should cook, kobras should serve and deshasthas should clean.

however, it is my observation that north indians here don't talk as much about their caste as some south indians do.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down