Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maha sivaratri - how do you celebrate?

+3
FluteHolder
southindian
truthbetold
7 posters

Go down

Maha sivaratri - how do you celebrate? Empty Maha sivaratri - how do you celebrate?

Post by truthbetold Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 am

http://www.eenadu.net/Homeinner.aspx?item=break16
let us talk before the bicoastal liberals wake up to raise inconvenient questions.
the above link provides pictures of celebrations all over ap. i am surprised at the number of major sIva pilgrimages in ap.
sulekha and such had some informative exchanges on Hindu festivals in different parts of India. please share how you celebrate.
biggest ritual during sivaratri is the day long fasting and staying awake all night(jagarana). groups of families come together to sing bhajans to spend the night. for us it is a great excuse to go all night to movies.
visiting temples is common but not a requirement.

i am not sure of the story behind this celebration. may be one of you can educate us.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Maha sivaratri - how do you celebrate? Empty Re: Maha sivaratri - how do you celebrate?

Post by southindian Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:20 am

Going to the temple this morning on Shivratri. I lost something this morning and found an hour is missing. Have been trying to chase time with no success.

Children know this day as ShivJi's birthday, so there will be cake cutting at a place closer to the temple. Then rush back to a basketball tournament game, followed by a movie.

southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Maha sivaratri - how do you celebrate? Empty Re: Maha sivaratri - how do you celebrate?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:43 am

shiv JI??? you sure u a southindian? Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 am

http://mahashivarathri.org/live/

Enjoy this live streaming music/carnatic mridangam/ghatam... Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:46 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:shiv JI??? you sure u a southindian? Razz

We don't say Shiv Ji in the south. Southindian Ji, which part of south india do you come from and which south indian language do you speak?

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:17 am

shivji's birthday? isn't shiv without a beginning and end?
are you talking about the story where nandi kills a demon who traps Shiva in his body?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 am

truthbetold wrote:shivji's birthday? isn't shiv without a beginning and end?
are you talking about the story where nandi kills a demon who traps Shiva in his body?

Ya, nvr heard of that. And cake cutting for Shiv Ji on the occasion of His birthday on Sivaratri? pls save me!

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 am

http://www.harekrsna.com/philosophy/associates/demons/siva/gajasura.htm
the above gives different versions of gajasura story. the version i heard has nandi shear gajasura to rescue Shiva. this is a followed by story of ganesh creation.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:56 pm

truthbetold wrote:http://www.eenadu.net/Homeinner.aspx?item=break16
let us talk before the bicoastal liberals wake up to raise inconvenient questions.
the above link provides pictures of celebrations all over ap. i am surprised at the number of major sIva pilgrimages in ap.
sulekha and such had some informative exchanges on Hindu festivals in different parts of India. please share how you celebrate.
biggest ritual during sivaratri is the day long fasting and staying awake all night(jagarana). groups of families come together to sing bhajans to spend the night. for us it is a great excuse to go all night to movies.

i am not sure of the story behind this celebration. may be one of you can educate us.

I don't think celebrate is the right word there. Deepavali , sankranthi and dasara are celebrations.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:47 pm

southindian wrote:Going to the temple this morning on Shivratri. I lost something this morning and found an hour is missing. Have been trying to chase time with no success.

Children know this day as ShivJi's birthday, so there will be cake cutting at a place closer to the temple. Then rush back to a basketball tournament game, followed by a movie.

You cannot fool everyone all the time all the time... Very Happy

Cake cutting ?

I did not realize today is Shiv Ji's B'day - phew...at least, he has only one unlike Vishnu Ji (with all his Avatars)

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:37 pm

truthbetold wrote:http://www.eenadu.net/Homeinner.aspx?item=break16

"Nagendra haraya Trilochanaya,
Basm-anga ragaya maheswaraya,
Nithyaya shudhaya digambaraya,
Tasmai 'Na'karaya namashivaya." .. Shiva Panchakshara Stotram

>>> Something in the following about the possible association of "Basm" (ash) with Shiva-worship (btw basmanga signifies smearing of body with ash) ,

http://creative.sulekha.com/saivite-and-vaisnava-interpretations-of-brahman_497382_blog
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:shiv JI??? you sure u a southindian? Razz

I think he meant shivAji [Ganeshan]

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down