Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Results reveal most first-year engg. students flunk

4 posters

Go down

Results reveal most first-year engg. students flunk Empty Results reveal most first-year engg. students flunk

Post by FluteHolder Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/results-reveal-most-firstyear-engg-students-flunk/article4544756.ece?homepage=true

Faculty concerned as syllabus similar to subjects taught at school, say rote learning is to blame.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Results reveal most first-year engg. students flunk Empty Re: Results reveal most first-year engg. students flunk

Post by Guest Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:27 pm

or it could be they are bcz doing assignments for seniors, doing their laundry etc

Back to top Go down

Results reveal most first-year engg. students flunk Empty Re: Results reveal most first-year engg. students flunk

Post by Rishi Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:50 pm

FluteHolder wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/results-reveal-most-firstyear-engg-students-flunk/article4544756.ece?homepage=true

Faculty concerned as syllabus similar to subjects taught at school, say rote learning is to blame.

This is old news.

It has been this way for the past 70 years.

I had classmates who memorized subjects like Physics, Theory of machines, Thermodynamics etc.

Memorize the formula p1v1/t1 = p2v2/t2. On the exam plug in the numbers and get 80%.

The irony is that with this kind of rote learning there are still bridges being built, automobiles being designed, power stations being commissioned etc in India.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:03 pm

An extreme example of rote learning was that of a friend and colleague of mine at Engineering College, Lahore (in 1950s). He usually did well in examinations. He used to memorize everything including the applied mathematics also by rote. Let me give a bit of explanation here how the examinations were conducted in my days. In applied mathematics, our professor taught us how to solve various differential equations. He buttressed his teaching with a number (up to about 200) of numerical problems. These problems were typical and truly significant illustrating the practical side of engineering application. His notes and numerical problems did not change from year to year. He would select some 7 or 8 questions from those examples and set them in the examination question paper. The upshot was that anybody who had gained mastery of those numerical examples would pass the examination with flying colors. This friend of mine had memorized all those examples and their solutions by heart. When the question papers were distributed in our final examination, he immediately stood up and drew the attention of one of the invigilators. He told him, “Sir, this question is wrong.” The invigilator asked him, “What do you mean and how do you know that this is wrong? You couldn’t possibly have attempted to solve it yet.” He said, “Sir, I know it.” The invigilator was nonplussed and rather brisk with him and told him to sit down. True enough; after about 10 minutes, our professor walked in and announced a correction in one of the questions. It was the same question that my friend had pointed out to the invigilator. I don’t know if he had much of a conception of any thing that he had read but he secured a marginal first class in the final examination and that was quite impressive.

http://www.chowk.com/articles/12368

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 pm

FluteHolder wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/results-reveal-most-firstyear-engg-students-flunk/article4544756.ece?homepage=true

Here is the latest news flash:

Most FINAL year engineering graduates FLUNK even after taking their last exams...Razz

Bribery, exam washing (patented), and influence peddling are to blame.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Rishi wrote:

This is old news.

It has been this way for the past 70 years.

I had classmates who memorized subjects like Physics, Theory of machines, Thermodynamics etc.

Memorize the formula p1v1/t1 = p2v2/t2. On the exam plug in the numbers and get 80%.

The irony is that with this kind of rote learning there are still bridges being built, automobiles being designed, power stations being commissioned etc in India.

>>>>That is scary, but I am sure the stats apply to the schools that have sprung up all over the place, where the degrees can be bought. Hopefully, these are not the guys designing the bridges and cars.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down