Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DOMA is in trouble

4 posters

Go down

DOMA is in trouble Empty DOMA is in trouble

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 pm

It is not clear which way the US Supreme Court will go on the question of California's Proposition 8. But based on the oral arguments today on DOMA, it seems like the court has a majority to strike down the provisions of DOMA that prevent the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages performed legally in the states that allow them.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/03/argument-recap-doma-is-in-trouble/
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

DOMA is in trouble Empty Re: DOMA is in trouble

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm

trofimov wrote:It is not clear which way the US Supreme Court will go on the question of California's Proposition 8. But based on the oral arguments today on DOMA, it seems like the court has a majority to strike down the provisions of DOMA that prevent the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages performed legally in the states that allow them.

Why are so so very pro-gay ?....what next ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
trofimov wrote:It is not clear which way the US Supreme Court will go on the question of California's Proposition 8. But based on the oral arguments today on DOMA, it seems like the court has a majority to strike down the provisions of DOMA that prevent the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages performed legally in the states that allow them.

Because I am very pro-equality and very pro-civil-rights.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 pm

trofimov wrote:

I think by recognizing gay marriage, the SC will only complicate matters. IMO, marriage as a ceremony or contract is an artificial arrangement imposed by society due to religious reasons. Gay marriage recognition therefore will violate the religious sanctions and the very basis behind "marriage."

So the best way is for the Govt and SC to derecognize marriage of any kind between two people.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 pm

trofimov wrote:

I think by recognizing gay marriage, the SC will only complicate matters. IMO, marriage as a ceremony or contract is an artificial arrangement imposed by society due to religious reasons. Gay marriage recognition therefore will violate the religious sanctions and the very basis behind "marriage."

So the best way is for the Govt and SC to derecognize marriage of any kind between two people.
I would find that solution acceptable. But I don't think the Supreme Court will even consider that as an option.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm

trofimov wrote:
trofimov wrote:

I would find that solution acceptable. But I don't think the Supreme Court will even consider that as an option.

My suggestion makes more sense. If the constitution separates religion frmo Govt, same could be done by preventing Govt from interfering in individual's personal life/ If the govt cannot interfere with individual rights, how can it stipulate such interference in "marriage" which is a very very personal matter between 2 people ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 pm

trofimov wrote:
trofimov wrote:

My suggestion makes more sense. If the constitution separates religion frmo Govt, same could be done by preventing Govt from interfering in individual's personal life/ If the govt cannot interfere with individual rights, how can it stipulate such interference in "marriage" which is a very very personal matter between 2 people ?
There are legitimate arguments for the government to get involved with some aspects of marriage. For instance, preventing people who are not old enough to decide from getting married, protecting people who may be victims of abuse within a marriage, etc. But if the state does meddle in marriage, it has to do so in a manner that does not discriminate against gays or other groups.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:12 pm

How about polygamy now between consenting adults?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Hellsangel wrote:How about polygamy now between consenting adults?
Polygamy can be legal if polyandry is legal. In practice, most societies where polygamy is legal do not allow polyandry. That makes it unequal.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

The reason for age-restriction on marriage is due to the "Belief" that sex happens after marriage (duh...) and to protect minors from sexual exploitation in the name of marriage (as they do in islamic fake marriages). With everyone over 10 (make it 6) having sex this sex-only-after-marriage fails. Although no one can marry before say 16 or 18, statutory rape of minor applies to those under 18 indulging in sex (another anomaly). So the Govt has already separated Sex and marriage, and hence just banish the word marriage from its books.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 am

trofimov wrote:

Marriage is about money, inheritance and next to kin decisions. It is not going anywhere any soon.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down