Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does it mean to revise a subject?

5 posters

Go down

What does it mean to revise a subject? Empty What does it mean to revise a subject?

Post by Rishi Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:03 am

He dropped out of college when he was doing his first year BSc in Environment Science at St Joseph's College. "Some days, I'd revise a subject for days before the exam, but remember nothing during the exam. I'd think 'What's the purpose of studying?' I realized I wasn't stupid - it was either the subject or the way it was dealt with," said Vivek.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Failed-That-doesnt-mean-you-are-not-smart/articleshow/19268060.cms

Rishi

Back to top Go down

What does it mean to revise a subject? Empty Re: What does it mean to revise a subject?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:12 am

Rishi wrote:He dropped out of college when he was doing his first year BSc in Environment Science at St Joseph's College. "Some days, I'd revise a subject for days before the exam, but remember nothing during the exam. I'd think 'What's the purpose of studying?' I realized I wasn't stupid - it was either the subject or the way it was dealt with," said Vivek.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Failed-That-doesnt-mean-you-are-not-smart/articleshow/19268060.cms

Let's say its a literature course and there are five novels on which you will be tested in your exam. Revising the subject in this case would mean re-reading the novels on which you will be testing for the second or third or fourth or fifth time. In other words you have already digested the contents of the books and are now merely refreshing your memory.

Back to top Go down

What does it mean to revise a subject? Empty Re: What does it mean to revise a subject?

Post by Uppili Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:53 am

Rishi wrote:He dropped out of college when he was doing his first year BSc in Environment Science at St Joseph's College. "Some days, I'd revise a subject for days before the exam, but remember nothing during the exam. I'd think 'What's the purpose of studying?' I realized I wasn't stupid - it was either the subject or the way it was dealt with," said Vivek.

"Revising" is a TYPICAL word used in TN by students at all levels, teachers, and parents meaning REVIEW a subject. Usually, it indicates "memorising" and practicing rote learning 3, 4, 5 times before the exam.

If only Vivek had understood what he studied and learnt to explain them in his own words to a tree or to his motorcycle , instead of REVISING for days, he would not have forgotten his subjects on the day of the exams.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 am

Uppili wrote:
"Revising" is a TYPICAL word used in TN by students at all levels, teachers, and parents meaning REVIEW a subject.
i'm not from TN but i used to "revise" a lot in school. my kids "revise" too. it is indian english. rishi is probably a foreigner pretending to be an indian.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 am

[url=http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Failed-That-doesnt-mean-you-are-not-smart/articleshow/19268060.cms
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Failed-That-doesnt-mean-you-are-not-smart/articleshow/19268060.cms[/quote[/url]]

>>> It is the verb form of revision as in ' I am on my 6th revision now'. In other words, the kid read the material once and was re-reading it for the 6th time. A kid actually told me this in 9th or 10th grade. I had not even read the damn thing once the day before the exam which happened frequently.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:19 am

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/revise

3. British . to review (previously studied materials) in preparation for an examination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:21 am

revision = revisit or brush up. all our teachers reminded us to allocate at least an hour (per subject) for revision before the exam.

exams meant stress for me. preparing for subject A and realizing that the exam is scheduled for subject B on that day is a recurring, sweat-guarantor dream for me even today. i burst firecrackers after the very last exam i wrote in my final year of engg.

edit - one more recurring dream is running out of time while writing an exam. by the time the supervisor snatches the answer sheet from me, I have attempted questions not enough to clear the exam. another sweat-fest.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:24 am

Most of the times, I would start reading the first page of the books the day before the exams, and finish the last page before leaving home. I would make sure I reached school 10 minutes early where other nervous girls would be repeating or re-reading questions or formulaes. They had no idea they were helping me big time. This pattern did not change too much in later years too.

I also get dreams about exams. My recurrent one is Hindi, and when every one has gone, I am still on question one. Almost always the invigilator let's me stay back and complete. So in my dreams I see the school in the night time with one light bulb on and me still on question 3. Those dreams never have an ending.

My other recurrent dream is that some mix up happened and I never really graduated high school. So I'm finishing the 12th grade again, going to the school in the uniform, etc. And I worry about the colossal exams. Overall those dreams can be classified as nightmares.

The above dream/nightmare is sometimes for the undergrad college or the grad school here. That I am yet to clear one subject. And in the dream I am going on with my life or college life but with a nagging fear that I know absolutely nothing about the subject, except its name. Sometimes even that is fuzzy. Maybe all that fear in my dreams stems from the fact that I would not study something until the exam time in real life.

Anyway, after every such dream it's such a relief to wake up and realize I have done all graduations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:55 am

Perfection in understanding and using English terms aside..this teaser-trailer was amusing to me..

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:56 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:revision = revisit or brush up. all our teachers reminded us to allocate at least an hour (per subject) for revision before the exam.

exams meant stress for me. preparing for subject A and realizing that the exam is scheduled for subject B on that day is a recurring, sweat-guarantor dream for me even today. i burst firecrackers after the very last exam i wrote in my final year of engg.

edit - one more recurring dream is running out of time while writing an exam. by the time the supervisor snatches the answer sheet from me, I have attempted questions not enough to clear the exam. another sweat-fest.

>>>>Exam- related dreams are fairly common and usually are supposedly triggered by similar events that may be happeneing at any given time in life. I used to have this recurring dream of panicking about time during a math test (half-yearly) in 10th grade. This actually happened. I was working through the the problems thinking it was a 2 hr test, but after an hr the teacher announced there was only a half hr left. This dream would surface anytime I was under a deadline at work. This was well into my late 20's. Another related dream I used to have once in a a while was that I still had to finish one class to complete high school. It was so realistic the last time around I woke up thinking I had to go to India to take care of this.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down