Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Read the comments on the article

4 posters

Go down

Read the comments on the article Empty Read the comments on the article

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 am

The VC of Annamalai University is suspended for corruption. However, read the comments of readers of TOI. The bigotry against Tamils by some Hindians (and Shiv Sena wallahs?) is clearly apparent. Just as some SIs think that Delhi is the hub for rapes, some NIs seem to think that Chennai is the center for corruption!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/Financial-irregularities-Annamalai-University-VC-suspended/articleshow/19413556.cms

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Read the comments on the article Empty Re: Read the comments on the article

Post by Rishi Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:38 am

The motto of Annamalai University is "With courage and faith". That is what is written on its emblem. The word around the campus even during late 1970s was that it was actually meant to be "With corruption and fraud."

There were bunch of guys I knew in my group who paid money to get in. There was also a Chemistry professor who was caught getting bribes to award pass marks to failing students. The man had five daughters. He had to raise money to pay for the dowry and other marriage expense for his kids. He was demoted to the job of lecturer.

A guy I know who used to teach Civil Engineering at Annamalai University came over here and got his Ph.D. He went back to India and tried too get his old job back. He was told that he will have to pay a bribe of Rs. 10 lakhs.

Annamalai University was founded by Rajah Annamalai Chettiar in 1920s. He had a great vision. The university provided almost free education to many poor people from the rural areas of TN. Imagine someone from remote places in TN having to go to Chennai all the way to get an education in 1940s and 1950s.

I think the institution became corrupted when the DMK came to power in 1967. They gave a honorary doctorate to M. Karunanidhi.

Btw the Vice Chancellor of Anna University branch in Coimbatore was also caught for getting bribes and kickbacks.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:59 am

Rishi wrote:The motto of Annamalai University is "With courage and faith". That is what is written on its emblem. The word around the campus even during late 1970s was that it was actually meant to be "With corruption and fraud."

There were bunch of guys I knew in my group who paid money to get in. There was also a Chemistry professor who was caught getting bribes to award pass marks to failing students. The man had five daughters. He had to raise money to pay for the dowry and other marriage expense for his kids. He was demoted to the job of lecturer.

A guy I know who used to teach Civil Engineering at Annamalai University came over here and got his Ph.D. He went back to India and tried too get his old job back. He was told that he will have to pay a bribe of Rs. 10 lakhs.

Annamalai University was founded by Rajah Annamalai Chettiar in 1920s. He had a great vision. The university provided almost free education to many poor people from the rural areas of TN. Imagine someone from remote places in TN having to go to Chennai all the way to get an education in 1940s and 1950s.

I think the institution became corrupted when the DMK came to power in 1967. They gave a honorary doctorate to M. Karunanidhi.

Btw the Vice Chancellor of Anna University branch in Coimbatore was also caught for getting bribes and kickbacks.

Ahhh.....how even nice, respected guys become greedy and corrupted as they get into power.

Annamalai University is the first Private University in modern India and there was almost no fee. The campus is beautiful almost like most US campuses. When I first visited it, I was very impressed with the ideal university atmosphere with each specialization having its own building, and pathways lined with tall trees.

Anyway, education in South is becoming like that in Bihar in those days. I hear tons of stories about JNTU in Hyderabad.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:39 pm

uppili.
what did you hear about jntu hyd ? can you tell us a few stories?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down