Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

simple malayali dish - kootu kari

3 posters

Go down

simple malayali dish - kootu kari Empty simple malayali dish - kootu kari

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 pm

i haven't been in the kitchen much lately. had this at a malayali friend's house and loved it. i think i did a fairly decent job reproducing it at home today. i made it with plantains.

http://simplyspicy.blogspot.com/2007/06/kootu-curry.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

simple malayali dish - kootu kari Empty Re: simple malayali dish - kootu kari

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 pm

not sure why dishes like this don't become more prominent. a good change from the usual tomato based sauce laden channa masala glop served in indian restaurants. more subtle on the taste buds. i think i prefer the texture and mouthfeel of black chana to the usual chana.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:11 pm

i meant popular, not prominent.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:not sure why dishes like this don't become more prominent. a good change from the usual tomato based sauce laden channa masala glop served in indian restaurants. more subtle on the taste buds. i think i prefer the texture and mouthfeel of black chana to the usual chana.

Just like in anything we make some dishes into "Standardized super cuisine" which becomes de facto standard.

I rarely go to desi restaurants. The one Minneapolis was great but it kept losing money and change hands every 6 months. The one in KC is quite ok. Of course, there are some good ones in Cali and east coast but it is cheaper for me to fly to India.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:03 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:not sure why dishes like this don't become more prominent. a good change from the usual tomato based sauce laden channa masala glop served in indian restaurants. more subtle on the taste buds. i think i prefer the texture and mouthfeel of black chana to the usual chana.

Just like in anything we make some dishes into "Standardized super cuisine" which becomes de facto standard.

I rarely go to desi restaurants. The one Minneapolis was great but it kept losing money and change hands every 6 months. The one in KC is quite ok. Of course, there are some good ones in Cali and east coast but it is cheaper for me to fly to India.

>>>> I don't know if have come to the Bay area recently. The Indian restaurants here are a mixed bag. There is one close to us that seems to change hands frequently and the quality has never been anything to write home about. I think it is a question of the owners becoming complacent because of the bigger target market. Right now, there is one within 10 minutes which is Pakistani owned and no booze there + the guy automatically assumes everyone speaks Urdu, but the food is good and we can order take-out. Otherwise, the choice is to drive to Mountain view/ Palo Alto/ Sunnyvale or SF, all of which can be anywhere form 45 to 60 minutes. So, our choice is limited. The saving grace is we do Mexican/Italian/Thai usually when we go out.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down