Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4,489 people visited this site

3 posters

Go down

4,489 people visited this site Empty 4,489 people visited this site

Post by charvaka Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Some interesting statistics about traffic to this site since the beginning... the largest number of unique visitors was 259 last Friday. We had over 220 unique visitors every day this week.

That total number (4,489) seems a little weird though.
4,489 people visited this site Screen16
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

4,489 people visited this site Empty Re: 4,489 people visited this site

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:28 pm

ok. moving on to more important things, why can't we have a three day weekend all through the year? and why do cops catch people in red cars? and what can i do to make friday afternoons disappear from my calender? tell tell...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:32 pm

atually, my molly/DHarun thread is among the most 'viewed'...looks like google is also working well for this forum now.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:35 pm

If you've installed Google Analytics on this site, people need to know that admin can have a lot more info from that.

It gives away more than just IP addresses. It can give information about the specific browsers you use, the pages you visit, your entrance path, you exit path, how much time you've spent on each page, what pages you browse, how people find the site etc.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Impedimenta wrote:why do cops catch people in red cars?
They broke the rules and caught me in a white car. I wasn't even going above 80 (I had the cruise set to 79.) But he gave me a warning and let me go without a ticket, so I shouldn't complain too much.

Impedimenta wrote:and what can i do to make friday afternoons disappear from my calender? tell tell...
Block them out as busy... problem solved. I try to make my Fridays end at 2 pm.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:42 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:If you've installed Google Analytics on this site, people need to know that admin can have a lot more info from that.

It gives away more than just IP addresses. It can give information about the specific browsers you use, the pages you visit, your entrance path, you exit path, how much time you've spent on each page, what pages you browse, how people find the site etc.

interesting. it *is* getting kinda hot in here. but that is good. i am only looking to us crossing the harharmahadev 6 month limit.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:If you've installed Google Analytics on this site, people need to know that admin can have a lot more info from that.
Yes, I had it installed early on -- that's why it shows stats from May 1 onwards.

ashaNirasha wrote: It gives away more than just IP addresses. It can give information about the specific browsers you use, the pages you visit, your entrance path, you exit path, how much time you've spent on each page, what pages you browse, how people find the site etc.
Are you sure? The only information I see is at the aggregate level. That is, it shows me the breakdown of visitors by browser, operating system, etc. None of the information I see is traceable to any user (it doesn't even show individual IP addresses.) Of course, I was proven wrong about Forumotion's admin module, and I could be wrong about Google Analytics. But I think GA is for aggregate-level information only. If you know for sure that individual-level information can be obtained through GA, let me know and I will disable GA on this site.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:31 pm

I thought I was sure, but now, I'm not 100% sure but can check on it.

It doesn't show individual IP addresses but you can trace individual visitor to their location. I'm pretty sure you can check on what pages were visited by visitors from a particular location. I don't know how this ties with hundreds of visitors on a forum such as this, and might involve lot of coordinating and extrapolating. Probably not worth even going there.

Now, I don't feel so good about bringing this up.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:06 pm

You are right.

There's just no way you can pin point any data to an individual user. The max you can do, that too after a lot of effort, is to get the name of the user's city, the number of page views and time spent on site by the user.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:31 pm

I dislike all these snooping tools and wish that they aren't used.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:37 pm

blabberwock wrote:I dislike all these snooping tools and wish that they aren't used.
I disabled GA last night. It should take effect in a couple of days.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:40 pm

charvaka wrote:
blabberwock wrote:I dislike all these snooping tools and wish that they aren't used.
I disabled GA last night. It should take effect in a couple of days.

Oh, I wasn't referring to this site in particular. So many blogs do similar things and store it as public data as well.

I find it all an invasion of privacy.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Yes, a lot of blogs have these and I just hated that. Some have side bars that announce your arrival when you land on a page with your location.

I'm sorry that Carvaka disabled analytics. It really doesn't give any individual user information but we'd have a lot of interesting statistics. But again, it depends on what we are going to do with that.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down