Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an extra meaty probability problem

+5
garam_kuta
Propagandhi711
Maria S
Merlot Daruwala
Captain Bhankas
9 posters

Go down

an extra meaty probability problem Empty an extra meaty probability problem

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:50 am

a class in a madurai school is attended by the following students : karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman. each one of them has brought an ordinary lunchbox to school with them. a lunchbox is opened at random by vinod.

1. what is the probability of finding thayir sadam in it?
2. what is the probability of vinod opening another box?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

an extra meaty probability problem Empty Re: an extra meaty probability problem

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 am

this is a trick question. first of all, karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman only bring tiffin-boxes to school and not lunchboxes.

second, vinod would not be seen in the same madurai school as karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman.

and if you are talking about vinod arokiaswamy, well, then karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman would not be sharing their tiffin-boxes with him.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:16 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:this is a trick question. first of all, karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman only bring tiffin-boxes to school and not lunchboxes.

second, vinod would not be seen in the same madurai school as karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman.

LOL!
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:this is a trick question. first of all, karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman only bring tiffin-boxes to school and not lunchboxes.

and if you are talking about vinod arokiaswamy, well, then karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman would not be sharing their tiffin-boxes with him.

I don't know..if it was a nice maria or nice rosy arokiasamy, a nice parvathi or a nice laxmi would certainly share some of the nice food in that tiffin box with her. The probability is rather high that a nice venkatesan and nice venkatraman would also ask her if she wanted some, and would not refuse to share if she was outgoing and wanted some! But, not sure about karthik..he seems like a cadbury kind of guy..think he may sneak a couple of bars to her, if he liked her..of course;)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:56 am

Maria S wrote:The probability is rather high that a nice venkatesan and nice venkatraman would also ask her if she wanted some, and would not refuse to share if she was outgoing and wanted some!

Aiyyo kaduvale! Our innocent Venkatesan and Venkatamanr are getting corrupted by these wanton kishtiangirls!

PS: OTOH, at least we're finally talking meat.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

No Sir..we are talking pure vegetarian meals not meat:)

Seriously, speaking of early memories..have nothing but good memories about classmates from all religions-caste backgrounds sharing food and goodwill, and that includes their families too.

I saw the disrespect and ugliness of the term "kishtiangirl" used *on line- in only one forum..again the kindness of people from all backgrounds in all on line forums to this day is quite remarkable! And quite commendable!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:12 am

1 and 0?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:13 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:1 and 0?
it should be 1 and 1 i think. vinod will be left disappointed for he is looking for a meaty lunch.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 am

What's 1 and 0 Tracy?
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:a class in a madurai school is attended by the following students : karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan and venkatraman. each one of them has brought an ordinary lunchbox to school with them. a lunchbox is opened at random by vinod.

1. what is the probability of finding thayir sadam in it?
2. what is the probability of vinod opening another box?

need to understand how many lives each of them had: karthik, venkat, laxmi, parvathi, karthikeyan, venkatesan & venkatraman. and why is vinod allowed to sit with them?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 am

Maria S wrote:What's 1 and 0 Tracy?

Lol. Answers to captains query. Probability of first being 100% and probability of second being 0%. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 am

I think the probability is 1 and 1:)

And I forgot Vinod as the special "curious" classmate in the second scenario..my bad! Now, there are so many possibilities!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 am

of course, the resident expert in all meaty matters ;)has the details right.
1.food in madurai is synonymous with tiffin and so the tiffin-box is spot on.
2. >419 % probability -vinod will not stop until he finds at least the sickly yellow dal for a pre-lunch slurp.
3. sharing ? there is no question of sharing when you steal food Razz

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 am

Maria S wrote:

I don't know..if it was a nice maria or nice rosy arokiasamy, a nice parvathi or a nice laxmi would certainly share some of the nice food in that tiffin box with her. The probability is rather high that a nice venkatesan and nice venkatraman would also ask her if she wanted some, and would not refuse to share if she was outgoing and wanted some! But, not sure about karthik..he seems like a cadbury kind of guy..think he may sneak a couple of bars to her, if he liked her..of course;)

no. you are wrong M akka. no sharing food, especially thayir saadam. laxmi and parvathis are fiercely protective of their goods.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am

Impedimenta wrote:
Maria S wrote:

no. you are wrong M akka. no sharing food, especially thayir saadam. laxmi and parvathis are fiercely protective of their goods.

Sorry, disagree sister I:)
Been there and done that! Let's say..you are in a class with a julie john..and you see her as a friend..would you not share?
*The interesting thing is "intra-group/caste dynamics" are different too..laxmi may be fiercely protective of her goods with parvathi..but, may be more friendly and towards julie (who is an "outsider" and refreshing to be around!)..or laxmi and parvathi can gang up against julie!
The same applies to julie too..she may be protective of her "biriyani" with maria..but, she may want to share some nice fish with laxmi (if they don't mind the non-veg and try it, of course!)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 am

Maria S wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
Maria S wrote:

Sorry, disagree sister I:)
Been there and done that! Let's say..you are in a class with a julie john..and you see her as a friend..would you not share?
*The interesting thing is "intra-group/caste dynamics" are different too..laxmi may be fiercely protective of her goods with parvathi..but, may be more friendly and towards julie (who is an "outsider" and refreshing to be around!)..or laxmi and parvathi can gang up against julie!
The same applies to julie too..she may be protective of her "biriyani" with maria..but, she may want to share some nice fish with laxmi (if they don't mind the non-veg and try it, of course!)
>>>> Good morning Akka, This is all too confusing for me, but just wanted to say good morning.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 am

Good morning Kris!
The akka business is kind of confusing too:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 am

I don't think anyone is addressing the pure shame in opening a tiffin-box filled to the brim with thayir saadam and a dried river bed of sambar and an even tinier island of vendakkai, while sitting discreetly in the hallway with feet draped over and planted on the grass, covered by the thick shrubbery; with just one more caste-mate, who is willing to grudgingly share his/her vatthal, the only shareable item between the two.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 am

My tiffin in school was paratha achar. Mostly mango pickle, sometimes lemon pickle. Some rare once-a-week variations were paratha sabzi. In college it was almost always sabzi-stuffed paratha. In both school and college, I would eat lunch at home later.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:I don't think anyone is addressing the pure shame in opening a tiffin-box filled to the brim with thayir saadam and a dried river bed of sambar and an even tinier island of vendakkai, while sitting discreetly in the hallway with feet draped over and planted on the grass, covered by the thick shrubbery; with just one more caste-mate, who is willing to grudgingly share his/her vatthal, the only shareable item between the two.

have to run, but my tiffin box most days was thayir sadam with a dollop of blood and some poriyal. you see my aunt had gotten this firm idea in her head that beet root would do my brain a world of good. so most days i had to have beet root sambar.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:I don't think anyone is addressing the pure shame in opening a tiffin-box filled to the brim with thayir saadam and a dried river bed of sambar and an even tinier island of vendakkai, while sitting discreetly in the hallway with feet draped over and planted on the grass, covered by the thick shrubbery; with just one more caste-mate, who is willing to grudgingly share his/her vatthal, the only shareable item between the two.

have to run, but my tiffin box most days was thayir sadam with a dollop of blood and some poriyal. you see my aunt had gotten this firm idea in her head that beet root would do my brain a world of good. so most days i had to have beet root sambar.

such a personalized diet, max, with so much TLC for children. ..nice !

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:My tiffin in school was paratha achar. Mostly mango pickle, sometimes lemon pickle. Some rare once-a-week variations were paratha sabzi. In college it was almost always sabzi-stuffed paratha. In both school and college, I would eat lunch at home later.
my tiffin used to be paratha + alu tamatar sabzi + mango pickle. after class 7 i stopped carrying a lunch box and started eating in the food stalls in the school (options: alu poori, samosas, idlis or dosas with coconut chutney) or mutton rolls outside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:47 am

HK wrote:it should be 1 and 1 i think. vinod will be left disappointed for he is looking for a meaty lunch.

hahaha. but tracey trivedi right. it is 1 and 0. vinod has no intention of opening another lunchbox after seeing the contents of the first one.

Maria S wrote:And I forgot Vinod as the special "curious" classmate in the second scenario..my bad! Now, there are so many possibilities!

oh, our protagonist is curious but he gets a whiff of what's in the other boxes just by opening the first one, so it is 1 and 0.

PG wrote:need to understand how many lives each of them had

most of them are twice born. most.

Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:56 am

the school timing for me after the 4th std was such that i did not have to carry a lunchbox to school. up until then, though, i carried a lunchbox with me and 8 out of 10 times, it contained laddus made of chapatis. you tear chapatis into small pieces, add jaggery and ghee to it and make laddus of it. on other occasions, i carried chapati, aloo-aloo and shrikhand.

in my lifetime so far, i must have consumed, by a conservative estimate, at least 5 tonnes of aloo. my sincere thanks to purtuguese invaders.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:in my lifetime so far, i must have consumed, by a conservative estimate, at least 5 tonnes of aloo. my sincere thanks to purtuguese invaders.

lol!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:44 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
HK wrote:it should be 1 and 1 i think. vinod will be left disappointed for he is looking for a meaty lunch.

hahaha. but tracey trivedi right. it is 1 and 0. vinod has no intention of opening another lunchbox after seeing the contents of the first one.
i always sucked at probability.
Captain Bhankas wrote:
in my lifetime so far, i must have consumed, by a conservative estimate, at least 5 tonnes of aloo. my sincere thanks to purtuguese invaders.
LOL! jahapanah jehangir khush hue.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:32 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:in my lifetime so far, i must have consumed, by a conservative estimate, at least 5 tonnes of aloo. my sincere thanks to purtuguese invaders.

lol!

LOL.. that's helluva busy life, exhausting...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:57 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:

Maria S wrote:And I forgot Vinod as the special "curious" classmate in the second scenario..my bad! Now, there are so many possibilities!

oh, our protagonist is curious but he gets a whiff of what's in the other boxes just by opening the first one, so it is 1 and 0.

I see!

So, for Vinod..it's all about whiffs..he knew his sniffs:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 am

Maria S wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

I see!

So, for Vinod..it's all about whiffs..he knew his sniffsSmile

lol!

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down