Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

grr lawn mower

2 posters

Go down

grr lawn mower Empty grr lawn mower

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Bought a used one. Thought will do it myself this summer. It was working fine when I tried it there.

Decided to use it for the first time today. Bought gas and oil, poured them in right chambers. But when I began using it, it began blowing big white smoke. So I stopped it. Tried again, same. And it also had the burning smell.

So I came back in and googled. It said two different possibilities. One, oil in air filter, or air filter being clogged. Or two, too much oil in the combustion chamber. Then on a different site a person said that he let it run, and it got clear. Thought maybe I should check it all out.

So I went out ran it again. It blew white smoke that got clear. So I stopped and when I looked down, saw a few drops of oil leaking. As an experiment, started it again, more white smoke and burning smell. I see that that are is brown. Wondering if it was always like this, and he sold me a faulty piece. More oil leaking this time. So I decided to give it up, and took it back in the backyard to keep it there. Just for the heck of it, when I tried to start it again, it would not start. Guess it is dead now.

100 dollars gone. Dunno if I can email the seller and tell him about this. It was fine when he sold me it. I read on some sites that when you tilt it, this can happen. I had tilted it a bit when I was taking it out of my car. Or maybe I put too much oil in it. It took in the whole bottle of oil.

Whatever the reason be, feeling tempted to give the contract back to the landscapers and take the money hit. So much for my lawn mowing adventure. Sad

Back to top Go down

grr lawn mower Empty Re: grr lawn mower

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Smoke may be due to excessive oil or because of some old chemical residue still inside the mower.
Leaking could be a real bad sign unless it is discarding excessive oil.
Don 't you have neighbours who want to help a damsel in distress?
To verify that excessive oil is not the problem run it for longer duration. Collect leaking oil in a paint tray.
Or wait for uppili to come up with a solution and/or a story.[left]

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 pm

the last i tried, it wasn't even starting up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 pm

You probably got oil where it's not supposed to go - on the air filter or spark plug. The filter should be easy to check. The plug will require a socket wrench to open and check.

Can you pay some landscaper guy $20 to check it out for you?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down