Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miranda Rights

+4
truthbetold
goodcitizn
MaxEntropy_Man
gone
8 posters

Go down

Miranda Rights Empty Miranda Rights

Post by gone Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Just saw on TV today that some lawyers are upset that the terrorist in Boston was not read his Miranda rights!

WTH! What is wrong with these idiot liberal lawyers who defend the rights of terrorists? Besides, that kid went to high school here, he already knows he has the right to remain silent. In reality, he doesn't really have the right to remain silent because there will probably be water boarding and other torture if he doesn't speak.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=19007093&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fsite%3D%26source%3Dhp%26ei%3DnwpzUfzGJ5Gu8QSOt4CgCg%26q%3Dmiranda%2Brights%2Bboston%26oq%3Dmiranda%2Brights%2Bboston%26gs_l%3Dmobile-gws-hp.3...7638.20319.0.20994.21.15.0.6.6.0.431.3430.1j5j8j0j1.15.0...0.0...1c.1.9.mobile-gws-hp.mC3xUjlRgfg

gone

Back to top Go down

Miranda Rights Empty Re: Miranda Rights

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:00 pm

they are not idiot lawyers. they are thoughtful people. it is a slippery slope if you keep making up the rules as you go along. consistency and fairness is difficult and often inconvenient, but it protects us all. these laws sound inconvenient at all times except when we ourselves get caught in a situation like that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:03 pm

there is a battle royale brewing between the republicans and the obama administration of how to try this guy. they (the R's) want to try him as an enemy combatant, but the administration wants to try him in the federal courts. i support the administration.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm totally opposed to thoughtful people with zero common sense. It's proven without any doubt that this kid is responsible for many deaths and injuries, including the death of a cop. This guy pretty much gave up all his rights the moment he broke the laws of this country and committed acts of terror without a shred of doubt in anyone's mind.

Now, I am opposed to not reading people their rights when there's the slightest chance that they could be innocent.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:01 pm

mainstreet wrote:I'm totally opposed to thoughtful people with zero common sense.

and i'm opposed to thoughtless people like you who create the richard jewells, wen ho lees and steven hatfills of the world. again let me emphasize that it is because of people who question going down a slippery path and put up impediments to that approach that people like you and i remain free and breathe easy.

the decency and fairness of a nation and its people is revealed in its application of its own laws in difficult situations, not in easy situations.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 pm

i just returned from an indian get together and one of the topics of conversation was the title of this thread. the views for and against were divided in a very interesting way from my viewpoint.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 pm

I am not sure that using the legal technicality of terrorism/public safety as justification for not reading the Miranda Rights was a smart move since it gives the Defense ammunition to distract the court from such a heinous crime. The perp apparently was so disoriented that it wouldn't have made any difference according to some reports. Besides, he could still refuse to answer any question without the presence of an attorney so what gives?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:35 pm

why all the fuss about Miranda rights?
from a practical point of view, all Miranda rights does reaffirming a little blurb about the suspects right to remain silent at the time of arrest. the suspect in this case is hurt and bleeding profusely. he may not even be alert.
on the legal side, suspect is a us citizen. it is illogical to even consider him enemy combatant. only way that is possible is if he is stripped off his naturalized citizenship.

laws are not designed to be applied only when it is convenient and easy. the real test comes when emotions sweep people. if law does not do the right thing, nation descend to chaos at future time.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 pm

truthbetold wrote:why all the fuss about Miranda rights?
from a practical point of view, all Miranda rights does is reaffirming a little blurb about the suspects right to remain silent at the time of arrest. the suspect in this case is hurt and bleeding profusely. he may not even be alert.
on the legal side, suspect is a us citizen. it is illogical to even consider him enemy combatant. only way that is possible is if he is stripped off his naturalized citizenship.

laws are not designed to be applied only when it is convenient and easy. the real test comes when emotions sweep people. if law does not do the right thing, nation descends to chaos at future time.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is a battle royale brewing between the republicans and the obama administration of how to try this guy. they (the R's) want to try him as an enemy combatant, but the administration wants to try him in the federal courts. i support the administration.

I guess they want to take the country back to "the worst ever president" days.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:54 pm

The guy is in serious condition at hospital. Sedated.not sure how much he was interrogated.

Worst case, whatever he said till now will be inadmissible in a court. Not the CCTV tapes, eye witness, etc.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:13 am

cnn is not usually a place where one looks for enlightened comments, but this post by someone is spot on:

Three people get killed, and the Constitution gets erased by half the population.

Too hard to actually live by the words you parade to the rest of the world as proof of your superiority?

America, you richly deserve what you are about to get--a country where the police decide what rights you do, or do not have.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is a battle royale brewing between the republicans and the obama administration of how to try this guy. they (the R's) want to try him as an enemy combatant, but the administration wants to try him in the federal courts. i support the administration.
** well yes, if he's an american citizen you can't try him as an enemy combatant, can you? finally and sadly, americans get a taste of what indians live with everyday.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 am

main stree,

you forgot to collar this conversation into the general direction of brookwood, alabama by telling us how it takes 30 mins for the cops in brookwood to arrive at the scene of crime, how they eat their donuts and drink coffee at the only diner in town, how they wish they had starbucks in town, and how nice it would be for them to sip grande cappuccino while walking on the sidewalks instead of unpaved roads leering at the rainbow crowd of UNESCO officials exiting the UNESCO building.

any reponse to such (^^) a post by the usual suspects and you could have further collared it into the direction of a dozen boxes, the post office woman, your husband's work, his money, your vacations, korean breakfast, russian brunch, mongolian lunch, vietnamese snacks, belarusian dinner and burmese supper.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down