Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Valuing our vices

+4
Merlot Daruwala
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
Hellsangel
8 posters

Go down

Valuing our vices Empty Valuing our vices

Post by Hellsangel Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Valuing our vices Vices1
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Valuing our vices Empty Re: Valuing our vices

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:50 pm

so what is the message? men will give up sex more easily than women? or men value their phones more than women?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 pm

truthbetold wrote:so what is the message? men will give up sex more easily than women? or men value their phones more than women?

why is this hard to figure out? it's a simple matter of being able to read a pie chart and understand basic english.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:43 pm

It means different popular vices are evenly distributed among men. But more women are attached to their smart phones and caffeine.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Max,
you are totally losing it. Take your blood pressure meds.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 am

truthbetold wrote:so what is the message? men will give up sex more easily than women? or men value their phones more than women?

Sir, your strength clearly lies in writing 1000-word essays on the awakening of the masses (so you can put them to sleep) and NOT in data analysis. For the latter, I would recommend some foundational course in the community college nearby.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:32 am

So genius statistians when will you announce your great discovery of what these charts are supposed to say?

Sir genius,
we already know your ability to manipulate statistics.
Max - based on his cousins experience, no groping of female takes place in chennai buses.
Every northindian male is an animal ready to rape women because he is born above vindya mountains.
Merlot - it is true because merlot said so. Facts be damned.

Don 't worry about my statistics. Unlike you genius statistians, my data based obective analysis supports only a few thousand engineers and reviewed by only few experienced renowned statistians. Unlike your freewheeling data manipulation, i am restrained by statistical tests that you never heard of.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 am

truthbetold wrote:So genius statistians when will you announce your great discovery of what these charts are supposed to say?

Sir genius,
Max - based on his cousins experience, no groping of female takes place in chennai buses.
Every northindian male is an animal ready to rape women because he is born above vindya mountains.

Don 't worry about my statistics. Unlike you genius statistians, my data based obective analysis supports only a few thousand engineers and reviewed by only few experienced renowned statistians. Unlike your freewheeling data manipulation, i am restrained by statistical tests that you never heard of.

TBT

You did not read carefully the text which accompanied the pie charts.

Just accept it and move on. No need to be defensive.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 pm

rishi,
what made you think that i did not read the whole material?
any stable minded person reading my post can understand that my questions are not about what is in the charts but what is the comparative message that publisher is trying to drive at? max and merlot were motivated critics who indulge in personal attacks and bullying to claim upperhand in discussions.

i understand you are only trying to help your friends. hope this post clarifies the situation for you.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:22 am

truthbetold wrote:rishi, what made you think that i did not read the whole material?

Rishi was just being nice to you, giving you the benefit of the doubt. He probably too nice to say anything harsher about you.

truthbetold wrote:any stable minded person reading my post can understand that my questions are not about what is in the charts but what is the comparative message that publisher is trying to drive at?

So why would you suggest the exact opposite of what the charts drive at?

truthbetold wrote:max and merlot were motivated critics who indulge in personal attacks and bullying to claim upperhand in discussions. i understand you are only trying to help your friends. hope this post clarifies the situation for you.

Haha..You're again misinterpreting the events. In fact, while Rishi was making lame excuses for your faulty data analysis so you don't feel bad, I actually suggested a remedial course to take care of a critical gap. What do you value more? Your ego or your capabilities? Who's your friend in this instance?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 am

My wife agrees with your statement.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:34 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Haha..You're again misinterpreting the events. In fact, while Rishi was making lame excuses for your faulty data analysis so you don't feel bad, I actually suggested a remedial course to take care of a critical gap. What do you value more? Your ego or your capabilities? Who's your friend in this instance?

read this recently...

"Those who venture to criticize us perform a remarkable act of friendship," wrote Montaigne, "for to undertake to wound and offend a man for his own good is to have a healthy love for him."

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:36 am

It is scientifically proven that a simple chart can be confusing.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:18 am

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

read this recently...

"Those who venture to criticize us perform a remarkable act of friendship," wrote Montaigne, "for to undertake to wound and offend a man for his own good is to have a healthy love for him."

I komboletely agree... Proof that I love everyone and everyone is my friend. Why can't people understand that?...

Friend???

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

read this recently...

I komboletely agree... Proof that I love everyone and everyone is my friend. Why can't people understand that?...

Friend???

maybe - what's your criticism?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:44 am

bw wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

read this recently...

Friend???

I can criticize but not sure if you can ear that....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:50 am

bw wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

read this recently...

Friend???

be my friend and go for it!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:56 am

bw wrote:
bw wrote:
bw wrote:

read this recently...

Friend???

be my friend and go for it!

Aandava......arivu KalanjiyamaE, Yenakku ithuvum venum -innamum venum...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:28 am

There are different types of criticism.
Constructive criticism: the critic makes an effort to understand the issue at hand and provides a useful comment on the issue to move the discussion forward.
Motivated criticism: mother in law's nitpicking of dil, party line approach by political hacks, petulent unstable people seeking revenge for past incidents are some examples of such.criticism.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 am

Merlot,
My community college acquired statistical skills are rooted in factual data and objective analysis.
I do not see the ghost of modi in every jihadi terrorist incident nor do i find peoples movement against delhi rape as a parade of buttock slapping unemployed youths.
Statistics, bring it on. Any day any place.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 am

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

read this recently...

Lucy, I read this long ago. It is better to have an intelligent enemy than a foolish friend
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

read this recently...

Lucy, I read this long ago. It is better to have an intelligent enemy than a foolish friend

well, snoopy, that's why i have no FB friends. Razz (borrowing this from saamiyar)

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:03 am

truthbetold wrote:So genius statistians when will you announce your great discovery of what these charts are supposed to say?

Sir genius,

the original post has nothing to do with northindians, rape, animals, buses, cousins, or the vindyas. it was a simple post about the results of a survey involving a pie chart and conversational english. you drew the exact opposite conclusion that the survey results were suggesting, and then wanted to know what others understood. all the message that the OP intended is there in the original post, and does not require additional interpretation. i suggest both reading-pie-charts 101, english 101, and some medication for curbing internet vomititis.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum