Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking guide to current Tamil TV shows

+5
Sandee2020
Maria S
Nila
Hellsangel
Petrichor
9 posters

Go down

Seeking guide to current Tamil TV shows Empty Seeking guide to current Tamil TV shows

Post by Petrichor Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

What are the noteworthy Tamil TV shows currently on ? - name of the show, brief description, channel name, day/time slot

(something I will like)

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Seeking guide to current Tamil TV shows Empty Re: Seeking guide to current Tamil TV shows

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Your local Tamilzh Sangam might answer that better than SuCH.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Seeking guide to current Tamil TV shows Empty Re: Seeking guide to current Tamil TV shows

Post by Nila Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm

I watch the below tamil shows:

Thendral, Vani Rani, Super Kudumbam -Sun

Office, Neeya Naana - Vijay

I have a subscription to vikatan but it doesn't work at office so haven't logged in for months.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 pm

I second Sasthi-Nila..she has great taste when it comes to Tamil programs! I watch the serials- Vani Rani, Thendral and Rajakumari on Sun TV too..starring Ramya Krishnan (all night shows), when I can..

Have all the big four channels (Sun, Vijay, Jaya, Kalaignar) and the comedy channel, music channels..so there is always something fun to watch!

I also get a lot of recos from Tamil Friends- Tamil Diaspora on line..but, we all have our own taste..so like to explore! You should do the same..just explore!

It's refreshing..when I get tired of American TV..and on line browsing and postings:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Thendral is boring now with big bad mouth Suchi controlling 2 dummies Tamil and Prabha. Azagi, Uttriipookal, is interesting. Just started watching Office. Pugunda veedu, Sondha bandham also interesting serials.

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Sandee2020 wrote:Thendral is boring now with big bad mouth Suchi controlling 2 dummies Tamil and Prabha. Azagi, Uttriipookal, is interesting. Just started watching Office. Pugunda veedu, Sondha bandham also interesting serials.

LOL! They are dummies for sure..such a modern storyline..with a "girlfriend" dominating two men (minus the sexual affairs- as in American serials!)

Funny to see even in this small forum..at least three of us are watching it in the US..I guess it's really a popular show!

Hope you are doing well Kripa..good to see you.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Nila wrote:I watch the below tamil shows:

I have a subscription to vikatan but it doesn't work at office so haven't logged in for months.

In my next life, I want to be born a female. Will watch TV all the time....

Life will be so easy and so good.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Nila wrote:I watch the below tamil shows:

In my next life, I want to be born a female. Will watch TV all the time....

Life will be so easy and so good.

Oh U, you can watch these shows in this life..at night..or anytime really..wherever you are on your iPad, laptop..even if you are working the night shift:)

Actually these serials have a lot of men fans..you may like "Thulasi" in Thendral:)

have a good evening everyone!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried a bit of "Office" thinking that it is a Tamil take on Steve Carell but was rewarded with sappy, office romance by young things that left their villages for greener pastures. Will watch a bit more before making up my mind.

Have seen Neeyaa Naanaa - fairly representative of the 'intelligentsia' - usually good points showcased by a competent moderator. It is a debate format with spicy topics and contentious arguments. A welcome presentation of modern Tamil sensibilities.

I was hoping for some more serious talk show formats - have seen Coffee with Anu or something like that - but they are usually film-centric.

Bottomline: Tamil TV does not have anything for the modern, cosmopolitan, global, non-religious couch potato.

ps: My hots for Ramya Krishnan has morphed over the years into a lukewarm feeling of mere fandom.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Sample the shows at Makkal THolaikatchi. There are some good ones.

Specifically there is a call-in quiz type of show. Great

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Sample the shows at Makkal THolaikatchi. There are some good ones.

Specifically there is a call-in quiz type of show. Great

I did not know that PMK also had its own TV. Damn...

Does the LTTE surrogate Thol. Thiruma Valavan - or Tholvi Thirumagan as I call hm - have his own TV ?

These are people who promote casteism and foreign terrorists for their personal wealth and power. These political crooks make Tamarlan look like a Saint.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried a bit of "Office" thinking that it is a Tamil take on Steve Carell but was rewarded with sappy, office romance by young things that left their villages for greener pastures. Will watch a bit more before making up my mind.

Have seen Neeyaa Naanaa - fairly representative of the 'intelligentsia' - usually good points showcased by a competent moderator. It is a debate format with spicy topics and contentious arguments. A welcome presentation of modern Tamil sensibilities.

I was hoping for some more serious talk show formats - have seen Coffee with Anu or something like that - but they are usually film-centric.

Bottomline: Tamil TV does not have anything for the modern, cosmopolitan, global, non-religious couch potato.

ps: My hots for Ramya Krishnan has morphed over the years into a lukewarm feeling of mere fandom.

I don't think that's the bottomline at all:)

Don't know about implied definitions..but, most of us who watch these Tamil programs (international audiences) do belong to the global, modern, cosmopolitan "class" (!) Actually, in the US..people I know who watch are part of the "cutting edge" entertainment industry too..There are many good pattimandram shows..I don't get to watch them that often..but when I do..they are hilarious, thoughful..full of great original stories and personal insights!

Bottomline- taste varies!

*Ramya looks as lovely and vibrant as ever..to quote her famous line in Padaiyappa "vayasanalum- azhagum stylum maarala" may I ask..if the cooling is because of her age or something else, or just a matter of changing taste..when it comes to hot stuff:) Don't have to answer, if you don't want to!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Maria S wrote:
Sandee2020 wrote:Thendral is boring now with big bad mouth Suchi controlling 2 dummies Tamil and Prabha. Azagi, Uttriipookal, is interesting. Just started watching Office. Pugunda veedu, Sondha bandham also interesting serials.

LOL! They are dummies for sure..such a modern storyline..with a "girlfriend" dominating two men (minus the sexual affairs- as in American serials!)

Funny to see even in this small forum..at least three of us are watching it in the US..I guess it's really a popular show!

Hope you are doing well Kripa..good to see you.

At times it gets boring you can skip for a week and catch up later on. I used to be a great fan of Azhagi - but usually don't get time to catch up. I lost interest after that "darling darling ....stuff"

Thendral started off good with Nilalgal Ravi and got boring after that and again spiced up...now it is a little boring with those Paatti giving advices to Lavanya about rising her baby, giving a bath to the baby. In America we don't get any help and we use gadgets - get a baby bath tub.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Maria S wrote:I second Sasthi-Nila..she has great taste when it comes to Tamil programs! I watch the serials- Vani Rani, Thendral and Rajakumari on Sun TV too..starring Ramya Krishnan (all night shows), when I can..

Have all the big four channels (Sun, Vijay, Jaya, Kalaignar) and the comedy channel, music channels..so there is always something fun to watch!

I also get a lot of recos from Tamil Friends- Tamil Diaspora on line..but, we all have our own taste..so like to explore! You should do the same..just explore!

It's refreshing..when I get tired of American TV..and on line browsing and postings:)

I was watching the recorded Rajakumari for a while but it got too much of repeated bad things and I couldn't buy the joint family and many other stuff. But the show got good star casting. Usually "Thendral" is my motivation factor - I will finish all the chores to watch Thendral and Vani Rani and after that it's again chores. Also, Vijay on some days play back to back episodes of Saravananan Meenakshi and that is good to watch. Wish they could cut down their repeated Vijay Awards and repeated mini bytes. I don't like watching Jaya TV - I am tired of their ads. When Kalignar TV was introduced MIL and myself used to watch "Thekkathi Ponnu" - it had so much of gramam content and was very interesting to watch...later was hooked up with Sun TV. It also had a show with Sangavi as a lead by C J Baskaran.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Bottomline: Tamil TV does not have anything for the modern, cosmopolitan, global, non-religious couch potato

I guess so and I don't care. In our family H is no tamil, me no tamil but we both know tamil and that's our bridge. Smile

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:04 pm

why are you watching these mind numbing programs. there are some good ones. there used to be "tamil engal pechchu, tamil engal moochu" on raj tv. check out for such programs. or just watch pbs if you are in us.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Shocked office? err? in thamizh? office is office because of steve carell and Rainn Wilson. i cannot imagine anyone recreating that magic with any other cast in any other language.

Also watched neeya naana and liked it sometimes. but then i met the host dude in person. what an arrogant *&^%$%$! and such a jollu to boot....killed the show for me.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Nila wrote:

At times it gets boring you can skip for a week and catch up later on. I used to be a great fan of Azhagi - but usually don't get time to catch up. I lost interest after that "darling darling ....stuff"

Thendral started off good with Nilalgal Ravi and got boring after that and again spiced up...now it is a little boring with those Paatti giving advices to Lavanya about rising her baby, giving a bath to the baby. In America we don't get any help and we use gadgets - get a baby bath tub.

*Frankly..serials are serials..Indian or American! You can miss them for a week or an year..or even a few years and still catch up!
I certainly could not watch them all the time..unless there is a murder-mystery and one can watch them continuously for a week.
The great thing about them is..we know that "everything will work out in the end"..and they are stress free!

I started watched Rajakumari only recently and the episodes I watched were entertaining. Whether the story is predictable or not..I watch them for the stars I like..Radhika, Ramya and the Thendral team!

*May be I am tired of talk shows, news shows in general..people screaming at each other and trying to "one up" all the time..with no one changing their minds about anything..same goes for reading negative opinions about everyone and everything too! And all the competitions are repetitive and boring after some time too..I would rather watch sports..when I can!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Maria S wrote: may I ask..if the cooling is because of her age or something else, or just a matter of changing taste..when it comes to hot stuff:) Don't have to answer, if you don't want to!

She is still quite attractive and I don't discern any age-related reduction in hotness. My cooling off is related to just the abundance - when supply is excessive, prices tend to fall, but as I might have said 20 years ago, I'd still tap that!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 pm

i watch these shows sporadically when parents visit during the summer. can't sit through any of them for more than a couple of minutes. the melodrama and the tears are always nausea inducing. i cancel the channels the day they leave.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 pm

right now i am hunkering down in the basement and i can still hear muffled sobs and shrieks from must-see serials up above. feels exactly like walking through some residential neighborhoods in chennai clutching my companies act commentary and thinking about the extent company officers can bind the board, while rest of madras was totally sympatico with the noob tube.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Ok atcg.

To me art always pales in comparison to real life dramas:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down