Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wednesday Trivia: April 24, 2013

+5
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
bw
Petrichor
MaxEntropy_Man
Idéfix
9 posters

Go down

Wednesday Trivia: April 24, 2013 Empty Wednesday Trivia: April 24, 2013

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:01 pm

I forgot to post this yesterday, but here goes... no googling please!

1. This epidemic killed between 3 and 5 percent of the world’s population – or over 50 million people – in the final months of the First World War. In order to maintain morale, the Allied Powers and the Central Powers both censored news of the epidemic and underreported the number of deaths. But neutral countries were free to report the true magnitude of the problem. As a result, history knows this epidemic by the name of a neutral country where its devastating impact was more fully reported. What do we know this epidemic as?

2. The poet W. H. Auden wrote the poem below in 1937. Who was he referring to?
You could not shock her more than she shocks me,
Beside her Joyce seems innocent as grass.
It makes me most uncomfortable to see
An English spinster of the middle class
Describe the amorous effects of 'brass',
Reveal so frankly and with such sobriety
The economic basis of society.

3. Major League Base teams “retire” the number worn by their most famous players. The first such retirement was when the New York Yankees retired #4 in honor of Lou Gehrig. In all of baseball history, only one number has been retired by all MLB teams in honor of the same player. Which number and which player?

4. This company started operations in the garage pictured below with a capital of $538. Its first successful product was a precision audio oscillator. Walt Disney Productions bought eight of those oscillators for their move Fantasia. Over the years, the company produced signal generators, voltmeters, oscilloscopes, frequency counters, thermometers, wave analyzers and many other instruments. The divisions of the company that focused on those core original product lines were spun off into a separate publicly-traded company in 1999. Name the parent company.
Wednesday Trivia: April 24, 2013 Garage10

5. This document written in 1215 CE has been described as “the greatest constitutional document of all times,” but all but three of its more than 30 clauses have since been repealed. The only clauses that are still legally in force have to do with the freedom of the church, the liberties of the capital city, and the right of citizens to due process. Name the document.

6. The Arabic phrase allah-u-akbar (“god is great”) appears on the national flags of three countries. All three countries changed their flags within the last forty years. Name them.

7. When these two famous men met in 1930, they had a well-known conversation about the nature of truth and beauty, and how dependent they are on humanity. Here is an excerpt. Name A and B.
A: Truth, then, or Beauty is not independent of Man?
B: No
A: If there would no human beings any more, the Apollo of Belvedere would no longer be beautiful.
A: I agree with regard to this conception of Beauty, but not with regard to Truth.
B: Why not? Truth is realized through man.
A: I cannot prove that my conception is right, but that is my religion.

8. The first use of an airplane in warfare occurred a little over a hundred years ago. Airplanes were used for reconnaissance and bombing raids by one of the two sides in a war fought over Libya. Which country was the first to use airplanes in warfare, and who did they use them against?

9. He was born in Mesa, Arizona in 1941 and was his parents gave him the names Ernesto Arturo. His first criminal conviction was when he was in eighth grade. In ninth grade, he was convicted of burglary and sent to reform school. He spent time in jails in Arizona, California, Tennessee and Ohio. He was arrested in 1963 and charged with kidnapping and raping a teenager, and he confessed to the crime. Because of a procedural mistake by the police, he then went on to acquire a lot of name recognition. His last name is now an integral part of the vocabulary of American criminal justice. What was his last name?

10. The name of this organization means “the island.” The name is also used to describe the Fertile Crescent region. The organization, founded in 1996, was recently voted as the fifth most influential global brand, behind Apple, Google, Ikea, and Starbucks. Name the organization.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia: April 24, 2013 Empty Re: Wednesday Trivia: April 24, 2013

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Idéfix wrote:
3. Major League Base teams “retire” the number worn by their most famous players. The first such retirement was when the New York Yankees retired #4 in honor of Lou Gehrig. In all of baseball history, only one number has been retired by all MLB teams in honor of the same player. Which number and which player?

42 -- jackie robinson.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Idéfix wrote:

7. When these two famous men met in 1930, they had a well-known conversation about the nature of truth and beauty, and how dependent they are on humanity. Here is an excerpt. Name A and B.
A: If there would no human beings any more, the Apollo of Belvedere would no longer be beautiful.
A: I agree with regard to this conception of Beauty, but not with regard to Truth.

albert einstein and rabby tags?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Idéfix wrote:

9. He was born in Mesa, Arizona in 1941 and was his parents gave him the names Ernesto Arturo. His first criminal conviction was when he was in eighth grade. In ninth grade, he was convicted of burglary and sent to reform school. He spent time in jails in Arizona, California, Tennessee and Ohio. He was arrested in 1963 and charged with kidnapping and raping a teenager, and he confessed to the crime. Because of a procedural mistake by the police, he then went on to acquire a lot of name recognition. His last name is now an integral part of the vocabulary of American criminal justice. What was his last name?

miranda.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:12 pm

3. Babe Ruth
4. HP
5. magna carta
7. bertrand russell, albert einstein
8. france (against, not known)
9. miranda

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:30 pm

Idéfix wrote:I forgot to post this yesterday, but here goes... no googling please!

1. This epidemic killed between 3 and 5 percent of the world’s population – or over 50 million people – in the final months of the First World War. In order to maintain morale, the Allied Powers and the Central Powers both censored news of the epidemic and underreported the number of deaths. But neutral countries were free to report the true magnitude of the problem. As a result, history knows this epidemic by the name of a neutral country where its devastating impact was more fully reported. What do we know this epidemic as?

spanish flu

jane austen

5. This document written in 1215 CE has been described as “the greatest constitutional document of all times,” but all but three of its more than 30 clauses have since been repealed. The only clauses that are still legally in force have to do with the freedom of the church, the liberties of the capital city, and the right of citizens to due process. Name the document.

magna carta

6. The Arabic phrase allah-u-akbar (“god is great”) appears on the national flags of three countries. All three countries changed their flags within the last forty years. Name them.

iraq?

einstein, tagore.

8. The first use of an airplane in warfare occurred a little over a hundred years ago. Airplanes were used for reconnaissance and bombing raids by one of the two sides in a war fought over Libya. Which country was the first to use airplanes in warfare, and who did they use them against?

germany?

miranda

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Idéfix wrote:I forgot to post this yesterday, but here goes... no googling please!

4. This company started operations in the garage pictured below with a capital of $538. Its first successful product was a precision audio oscillator. Walt Disney Productions bought eight of those oscillators for their move Fantasia. Over the years, the company produced signal generators, voltmeters, oscilloscopes, frequency counters, thermometers, wave analyzers and many other instruments. The divisions of the company that focused on those core original product lines were spun off into a separate publicly-traded company in 1999. Name the parent company.

10. The name of this organization means “the island.” The name is also used to describe the Fertile Crescent region. The organization, founded in 1996, was recently voted as the fifth most influential global brand, behind Apple, Google, Ikea, and Starbucks. Name the organization.

1. Small Pox?

3. Babe Ruth (# ??)

5. Magna Carta

8. Italy.

9... already someone said - Miranda

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Idéfix wrote:

Babe Ruth?

HP

Magna Carta

Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan? One might be Yemen, not sure.

Einstein and Gandhi?

Italy?

Qatar News Network(forget the name)

Last edited by goodcitizn on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Al-Jazeera

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:32 pm

1. Spanish flu

2. Jane Austen

4. Jackie Robinson- No 42.

5. Magna Carta

10. Think..it's Al Jazeera (remember a reporter mentioning the meaning on C-SPAN a long time ago!)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Oh 6..

Iran and Iraq? Don't know the third country.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

42 -- jackie robinson.
Correct.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

albert einstein and rabby tags?
Correct. Rabby Tags - haha!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

miranda.
Correct.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:37 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:3. Babe Ruth
No, it is Jackie Robinson
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:4. HP
Correct.
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:5. magna carta
Correct.
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:7. bertrand russell, albert einstein
A is Albert Einstein, B is Rabindranath Tagore
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:8. france (against, not known)
No.
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:9. miranda
Correct.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:39 pm

bw wrote:1. spanish flu
Correct.

bw wrote:2. jane austen
Correct.

bw wrote:5. magna carta
Correct.

bw wrote:6. iraq?
Yes, Iraq is one of the three countries.

bw wrote:7. einstein, tagore.
Correct.

bw wrote:8. germany?
No.

bw wrote:9. miranda
Correct.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:1. Small Pox?
No, it is Spanish Influenza.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:3. Babe Ruth (# ??)
No, it is Jackie Robinson and #42.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:5. Magna Carta
Correct.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:8. Italy.
Correct. Who were they fighting?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:9... already someone said - Miranda
Correct.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 pm

goodcitizn wrote:3. Babe Ruth?
No, it is Jackie Robinson, #42

goodcitizn wrote:4. HP

Correct.

goodcitizn wrote:5.

Magna Carta

Correct.

goodcitizn wrote:6. Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan? One might be Yemen, not sure.
Correct -- you got all three of them! The flag of Yemen doesn't have any letters on it (this I had to google).

goodcitizn wrote:7. Einstein and Gandhi?
Close, but no. Einstein and Tagore.

goodcitizn wrote:8. Italy?

Correct, who were they fighting?

goodcitizn wrote:10. Qatar News Network(forget the name)

Very close.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:45 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Al-Jazeera
Correct. Al Jazeera literally means "the island."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Maria S wrote:1. Spanish flu

2. Jane Austen

4. Jackie Robinson- No 42.

5. Magna Carta

10. Think..it's Al Jazeera (remember a reporter mentioning the meaning on C-SPAN a long time ago!)
All of your answers are correct!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Maria S wrote:Oh 6..

Iran and Iraq? Don't know the third country.
And this one too! The other country is Afghanistan.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Here is an update, with a hint.

Hint: The country that used airplanes was Italy. They sought to dislodge an empire that had been ruling Libya for several centuries. Who were the Italians fighting?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:01 am

Idéfix wrote:Here is an update, with a hint.

Hint: The country that used airplanes was Italy. They sought to dislodge an empire that had been ruling Libya for several centuries. Who were the Italians fighting?

I suspect it must be the Brits - who ruled much of middle east and Egypt (assume Libya as well until Italy took over). It is purely an educated guess.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 am

I suspect it must be the Brits - who ruled much of middle east and Egypt (assume Libya as well until Italy took over). It is purely an educated guess.
No. Will provide another hint in an hour or so.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 am

Idéfix wrote:

Was italy fighting the turks?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:50 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Actually I answered Ottomon Empire and then changed my mind. Ottomon Empire were defeated during the turn of the 20th century and around WW I. But I was/am not sure if it ruled Libya - that too, when Brits ruled Egypt.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:43 am

>>>Cholera

>>>Jackie Robinson- 43

>>>HP?

>>>Magna Carta

>>>Germany? England and Germany?

>>>Miranda

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:43 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Actually I answered Ottomon Empire and then changed my mind. Ottomon Empire were defeated during the turn of the 20th century and around WW I. But I was/am not sure if it ruled Libya - that too, when Brits ruled Egypt.

Yes, Italy was able to defeat the Ottoman Empire quite easily. I was thinking about the Italo Turkish war that was centered in Libya where aerial bombings took place. That was pre-WW1.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 am

1. Flu (Influenza)
2.??
3. Jackie Robinson?
4. Hewlett Packard
5. Magna Carta
6.??
7.??
8. Italy, against Libya?
9. Miranda
10. Al Jazeera

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:08 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Yes, that is the correct answer.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:09 am

Kris wrote:1. Cholera
No, it is the Spanish flu.

Kris wrote:3. Jackie Robinson- 43
Correct, but the number is 42.

Kris wrote:4. HP?
Correct.

Kris wrote:5. Magna Carta
Correct.

Kris wrote:8. Germany? England and Germany?
No, Italy first used airplanes in war against the Ottoman Empire in Libya.

Kris wrote:9. Miranda
Correct.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:11 am

goodcitizn wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Yes, Italy was able to defeat the Ottoman Empire quite easily. I was thinking about the Italo Turkish war that was centered in Libya where aerial bombings took place. That was pre-WW1.
Yes, if Italy had not used airplanes, others would have used them in the First World War. Italy ended up being the first simply by virtue of being the aggressor in the first major war after the invention of the airplane.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:12 am

indophile wrote:1. Flu (Influenza)
Correct.
indophile wrote:3. Jackie Robinson?
Correct.
indophile wrote:4. Hewlett Packard
Correct.
indophile wrote:5. Magna Carta
Correct.
indophile wrote:8. Italy, against Libya?
Correct, but Libya was under Ottoman Turkish rule at the time.
indophile wrote:9. Miranda
Correct.
indophile wrote:10. Al Jazeera
Correct.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down