Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IKEA furniture?

2 posters

Go down

IKEA furniture? Empty IKEA furniture?

Post by Kris Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 pm

For son's bedroom.. he has pointed today he has had his for years. His mom wants to check ikea. My idea of IKEA is its good for knickknacks and odds and ends, but some of the mainstream items are not long lasting. Anyone with serious experience? My experience is limited to a fold-out sofa I had in my last den and some miscellaneous wall pictures. I had to give away the sofa when we moved to this house- had gotten dirty and was not comfortable. His current bed is a single and has a solid wooden frame.

Kris

Back to top Go down

IKEA furniture? Empty Re: IKEA furniture?

Post by charvaka Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:07 am

My experience is based on the first place I got after grad school. I got a couple of bookcases, a bed and a TV stand. The bookcases fell apart with two moves, and the bed got abandoned on the second move. (I am not particularly careful with my stuff.) I got about two years from each of those items, which wasn't bad given what I had spent on it.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:09 am

IKEA furniture aren't long lasting at all. I wouldn't advise buying them unless you are looking for something to last 3-4 years at most.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:47 am

charvaka wrote:My experience is based on the first place I got after grad school. I got a couple of bookcases, a bed and a TV stand. The bookcases fell apart with two moves, and the bed got abandoned on the second move. (I am not particularly careful with my stuff.) I got about two years from each of those items, which wasn't bad given what I had spent on it.

>>>> Thanks. This is what I was looking for if my wife brings it up again. In fact, the first thing that struck me when I looked at IKEA stuff was 'damn, this would have been ideal when I was in school, instead of the makeshift stuff I scrounged from the apartment manager', but that was about the extent of my liking for it, never as any sort of permanent solution.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:52 am

blabberwock wrote:IKEA furniture aren't long lasting at all. I wouldn't advise buying them unless you are looking for something to last 3-4 years at most.

>>> Thanks, I am looking for something long term. You pretty much echo my feelings. See my post to Charvaka. I tried to talk my son out of this, but he is starting to keep up the drumbeat about this. I of course have the background of my parents never getting rid of any furniture, including stuff they got for their wedding.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down